United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-11-2021, 12:24 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I’d say Poch is lowest risk of the lot given he knows the league. He’s done well at two clubs over here, his style suits us and he’s considered a top manager.
he has a high floor, but a low ceiling. there is nothing about him that inspires me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I’m starting to honestly think we will not win the league again with the current owners.
I want to say, "no shit, nedders!" however, we could have won it last year and it would only really take buying two decent midfielders to make us competitive under any half-decent coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
I have seen people say a lot he'd need to bring the whole set up with it, but not sure I understand where that's coming from.
not sure anyone said he needs that; just that, whilst would potentially be good, it would be better if we had a structure as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Think people are confusing ten hag and Ajax's whole club set up with what he actually is.
I think people are just having a broader discussion. you could pick any manager and he'll just be the cherry on the glitter on our steaming turd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Klopp had lost what, 5, 6 finals in a row? He had Dortmund plummeting in the league when he got sacked. Tuchel had just been binned off by PSG with them 3rd in the French league.

Both had question marks over them when they arrived at their current clubs.

No manager is going to be a guarantee of success. Poch ticks more boxes than most though.
klopp still has question marks.

poch is a "safe" choice. £#%&! that.

Unread 25-11-2021, 12:43 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
You're not, he has a team of coaches same number we currently have, there's no ten hag team above that....

He's not from Ajax and won't be bringing the £#%&!ing academy with him...

It's a solid "here's the keys to Carrington pal and you and the boys have 5 lockers, let's get to work"

Think people are confusing ten hag and Ajax's whole club set up with what he actually is.
There's a difference between a 'Ten Haag' team being above him, and a structure put in place by the club that controls the footballing side of things, and is good at what they do.

It's not controversial in saying that Ajax are ran much better than we are as a Football club, and that being ran well in such a way benefits the manager.

With that in mind, bringing in a manager that is currently succeeding in that position at Ajax to the shit-show that is Woodward & Arnold's House of Horrors and hoping they go above and beyond might be a big ask.

That's the one thing Poch has over him for me. He overachieved at Spurs under someone like Levy, and he overachieved with Southampton. His stint at the freak that is PSG will tell us absolutely nothing about him realistically. They'll probably piss the league and get outworked in the Champions League at some point.

At the end of the day, the only way we'll know what either of them can bring us is if we hire either of them, and I'd be just as happy with Poch as I would with ETH.

Unread 25-11-2021, 12:46 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
There's a difference between a 'Ten Haag' team being above him, and a structure put in place by the club that controls the footballing side of things, and is good at what they do.

It's not controversial in saying that Ajax are ran much better than we are as a Football club, and that being ran well in such a way benefits the manager.

With that in mind, bringing in a manager that is currently succeeding in that position at Ajax to the shit-show that is Woodward & Arnold's House of Horrors and hoping they go above and beyond might be a big ask.

That's the one thing Poch has over him for me. He overachieved at Spurs under someone like Levy, and he overachieved with Southampton. His stint at the freak that is PSG will tell us absolutely nothing about him realistically. They'll probably piss the league and get outworked in the Champions League at some point.

At the end of the day, the only way we'll know what either of them can bring us is if we hire either of them, and I'd be just as happy with Poch as I would with ETH.
Can't disagree with any of that, so I won't!

We've seen players come here and step up, others shrink. Fergie took us to levels we didn't expect, so did Moyes.

Unread 25-11-2021, 12:47 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
I think it's a case of support the incumbent manager until you personally don't believe he deserves it.
For normal folk, yes.

But that's not how things work on here for players and managers. Pick your side from the outset and don't waver from your choice, no matter what you see with your own eye balls.*

* Tbf, there's only a select few who this applies to but they are some of the biggest gobshites on the 4um

Unread 25-11-2021, 12:53 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
I think it's a case of support the incumbent manager until you personally don't believe he deserves it. We consciously or subconsciously cut more slack to some than others. That's just human nature - no different than things like first impressions at an interview can lead to people asking questions to reinforce that first impression. People make more allowances for Ole because he's been a playing legend for us, so we're more interested in him succeeding than the others. From their ability and what they'd spent, LVG and Jose should both have had us closer to the title than they did; it's quite possible that their failure to compete has led to a lowering of epectations.
This. Again .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
For normal folk, yes.

But that's not how things work on here for players and managers. Pick your side from the outset and don't waver from your choice, no matter what you see with your own eye balls.*

* Tbf, there's only a select few who this applies too but they are some of the biggest gobshites on the 4um
Shots fired at saffers and marlo? Bit harsh to say Grinchers is a gobshite?

Who else does this apply to?

Unread 25-11-2021, 12:55 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
I think it's a case of support the incumbent manager until you personally don't believe he deserves it. We consciously or subconsciously cut more slack to some than others. That's just human nature - no different than things like first impressions at an interview can lead to people asking questions to reinforce that first impression. People make more allowances for Ole because he's been a playing legend for us, so we're more interested in him succeeding than the others. From their ability and what they'd spent, LVG and Jose should both have had us closer to the title than they did; it's quite possible that their failure to compete has led to a lowering of epectations.

Unread 25-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
This. Again .

Shots fired at saffers and marlo? Bit harsh to say Grinchers is a gobshite?

Who else does this apply to?
Grinchers knows the score 9 times out of 10. The other time is usually when he's pissed.

Unread 25-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Grinchers knows the score 9 times out of 10. The other time is usually when he's pissed.
Ah right, just two people? Saffers likes to create wummy polarised arguments. He does it all the time. As does marlo. There’s nothing more to it.

Unread 25-11-2021, 01:01 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Ah right, just two people? Saffers likes to create wummy polarised arguments. He does it all the time. As does marlo. There’s nothing more to it.
No, there's plenty more on the list.

Thanks.

Unread 25-11-2021, 01:11 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
92ers spot on, as per

Their only focus is as much profit for as little outlay.

It’s a never ending £#%&!ing nightmare, that won’t change regardless of who the manager is. If a new manager brought trophies to the club with the regularity that Fergie did, this lot would look for a way to cut his budget because he is good enough to succeed/make money without it.
they have outlayed a billion since fergie left

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Jesus. The Norwegian league 8 years before. People were actually arguing that.

Some of the same cranks now criticising Poch for losing a CL final with Tottenham Hotspur.
you can £#%&! off btw ole gets criticised for losing to anyone .. so lets give poch a free pass cos he has cuddly cheeks

ten haag is the one .. learnt from pep whilst at bayern with him as the b team coach .. 433 formation adapatable coaches players trusts youth with senior players , a real coach learnt from the best , and you can bet your bottom dollar if we dont get him , those @#%&!s 3 miles away will have him on the radar .

already the overachieving at other clubs crew are out ..poch free pass .. staggering

Unread 25-11-2021, 02:17 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence

you can £#%&! off btw ole gets criticised for losing to anyone .. so lets give poch a free pass cos he has cuddly cheeks

ten haag is the one .. learnt from pep whilst at bayern with him as the b team coach .. 433 formation adapatable coaches players trusts youth with senior players , a real coach learnt from the best , and you can bet your bottom dollar if we dont get him , those @#%&!s 3 miles away will have him on the radar .

already the overachieving at other clubs crew are out ..poch free pass .. staggering
I agree with this. Ten Hag is head and shoulders above the current crop - it’s not just the Dutch league they’re smashing it in, they’ve bossed it in the CL group too. We’d probably end up scraping it out with Sporting and Dortmund.

Can’t see anyone else performing at his level in terms of the football played and the results they’re getting (obviously Klopp and Guardiola aside). As you say, they won’t let the fact that it’s “only the Dutch league” stop them from snapping him up the moment they need to. We should act before it gets to that.

Gonna be fun on here when Rodgers rocks up.

Unread 25-11-2021, 02:23 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

Unread 25-11-2021, 02:39 PM
AK14

Quote:

Unread 25-11-2021, 03:03 PM
puressence

top level though with that team

Unread 25-11-2021, 03:11 PM
tatty

Whoever comes in as manager the club won’t really move forward until there is a new structure to support him.

A real DoF, not someone who happened to be wandering down a corridor past Woodward when a name was needed.

Ultimately though it comes back to fans and Glazer’s interests not being aligned...and their priorities trump ours, and always will while they still own the club.

Unread 25-11-2021, 03:15 PM
redhegemony

I'm just pretty underwhelmed by him - he may be ok who knows. Never got Spurs out of being spursy.

Unread 25-11-2021, 03:19 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
top level though with that team
Tbf though, psg is a basket case of a club and his players there are mainly poorly motivated mercenaries.

That’s just not the case at united…..

Oh.

Unread 25-11-2021, 03:20 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Whoever comes in as manager the club won’t really move forward until there is a new structure to support him.

A real DoF, not someone who happened to be wandering down a corridor past Woodward when a name was needed.

Ultimately though it comes back to fans and Glazer’s interests not being aligned...and their priorities trump ours, and always will while they still own the club.

Unread 25-11-2021, 04:19 PM
Coracao

Not the easiest 11 games he's managed tbf.

City x4
Barca x2
Bayern x2
Leipzig x2
Bruges x1

Knocked Bayern and Barca out. One win and three losses vs Citeh.

Unread 25-11-2021, 04:48 PM
20LEgend1999

Delighted I hung fire with this, would feel daft now if I'd changed to having the PSG manager as my avatar.
Closed Thread