United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 02-02-2024, 02:14 PM
pedr0

in terms of youth team players I thought were going to make it at united, I'll add:

borthwick Jackson
febian brandy
Oliver Norwood
James wilson
rhain Davis - now works in audit at grant Thornton, just added him on linkedin

Unread 02-02-2024, 04:59 PM
Coracao

Adriano is up there

Unread 02-02-2024, 05:02 PM
Medlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
I see beanz is off to South Korea.

Who are some of the biggest wastes of talent in your eyes?

Thought Rashford was "Beanz"?

Unread 02-02-2024, 05:03 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
Thought Rashford was "Beanz"?
That’s right.

Lingard’s football career is toast.

Unread 02-02-2024, 05:04 PM
Parlabane

Martial - could have been world class - *couldn't be arsed / unlucky not to be able to keep fit

* depending on your view of him

Unread 02-02-2024, 05:52 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlabane
Martial - could have been world class - *couldn't be arsed / unlucky not to be able to keep fit
Looking on the bright side, we're unlikely to have to pay that 10 million we'd owe Monaco if he ever wins the Ballon d'Or

Unread 02-02-2024, 06:11 PM
Neo

Football

Dener.

Brazilians say he'd have been better than Ronaldinho.

Died in a car crash in '94 aged 23 just before the Word Cup and his transfer to Europe.

Unread 03-02-2024, 02:05 PM
lztom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
rhain Davis - now works in audit at grant Thornton, just added him on linkedin
Not even big 4, so he’s flopped at that as well.

Unread 03-02-2024, 02:30 PM
puressence

Donald love

Unread 03-02-2024, 02:33 PM
Buck

Every Arsenal fan I know raved about Abou Diaby having all the makings of a top midfielder if only he stayed fit. Very technically gifted but also had size and presence unlike the rest of that team. They also raved about Wilshere although I never thought he was that good.

Unread 03-02-2024, 02:34 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo

A player from United that i thought would have at least have a good premiership career was this lad called David Jones. Left footed box to box midfielder. Used to float around the championship but as reserve level i thought he was unbelievable while keeping it simple.
I don't think jones wasted his talent, he was just one of those players that look absolute world beaters in the youth side but never translate it to the first team for some reason.

Everyone thought he was going to be the next Duncan Edwards but he couldn't make the step up.

Unread 04-02-2024, 01:39 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Donald love
Proud of the lads.

Unread 04-02-2024, 11:30 AM
marlo

I can’t believe some thought Lingard wasted his talent…

never a stand out academy player destined for greatness, was loaned out at a time the better players went straight into the first team, managed to sneak in the squad, was never our worst player, because relatively famous, rich and even the casual football fan knows his name and who he is.
won trophies with his boyhood club
Went to two major international tournaments, 30+ caps all while being a slightly above average player.

If anything he has done well for himself and I’d even say I’m suprised.

Even Joshua king for example didn’t waste his talent. Become a 150+ premiership appearance players means yoy didn’t waste your talent imo.

Unread 04-02-2024, 11:39 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
I can’t believe some thought Lingard wasted his talent…

never a stand out academy player destined for greatness, was loaned out at a time the better players went straight into the first team, managed to sneak in the squad, was never our worst player, because relatively famous, rich and even the casual football fan knows his name and who he is.
won trophies with his boyhood club
Went to two major international tournaments, 30+ caps all while being a slightly above average player.

If anything he has done well for himself and I’d even say I’m suprised.

Even Joshua king for example didn’t waste his talent. Become a 150+ premiership appearance players means yoy didn’t waste your talent imo.
I agree with this. Lingard was painfully average and if anything, he overachieved.

Could maybe still be playing in England if he had more humility.

Unread 04-02-2024, 12:57 PM
Offerington

Quote:
I never even thought Lingard was any good and i used to be a big academy fan.

A player from United that i thought would have at least have a good premiership career was this lad called David Jones. Left footed box to box midfielder. Used to float around the championship but as reserve level i thought he was unbelievable while keeping thjngs simple.

A player who did better than he should given he had next to no talent was macheda. Didn’t do much but even that was more than his talent deserved.! He was bullshit!

greenwood should be top 5 players in the league right now, that’s a real sad one.

The crazy thing is how you know can’t even mimick him a little but and just be even half decent from the left.
My brother was at United with him for years. Was decent enough. Mainly just steady. Had a great mentality and work ethic though. WAs desperate to make it as a pro. Had a good career. Was a really nice lad , too. Was a great intake that: Bardsley, Jones, Alex Bruce, Ben Collett, Jemal Johnson, Lee Lawrence, Mark Redshaw, MArk Howard. Some top, top players. Jones wasn't anywhere near the most talented. Just extremely dedicated.

Unread 04-02-2024, 05:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Every Arsenal fan I know raved about Abou Diaby having all the makings of a top midfielder if only he stayed fit. Very technically gifted but also had size and presence unlike the rest of that team. They also raved about Wilshere although I never thought he was that good.
And you have the Spurs equivalent in Dele Alli.