United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-12-2023, 08:36 AM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
At the moment, pretty much.

We are literally one of the worst run clubs on the entire planet, and until that changes nothing else will change.
quick Q, did you want any of Moyes, van gaal, mourinho, solskjaer or rangnick sacked?

Unread 04-12-2023, 09:03 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
quick Q, did you want any of Moyes, van gaal, mourinho, solskjaer or rangnick sacked?
Yes, no, yes, no, yes.

Unread 04-12-2023, 09:55 AM
wiganste

He won't last the season.

And the next manager will come in, have the bounce and these same players will do what they always do, throw him under the bus. Rinse and repeat.

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:04 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

And the next manager will come in, have the bounce and these same players will do what they always do, throw him under the bus. Rinse and repeat.
Yep. The club needs to stabilise before we can move on.

Sick of managers copping it every time.

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:21 AM
Chorlton74

who'd be stupid enough to come in and do it? its poison.

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:24 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
It’s become worse than the England job

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:24 AM
wiganste

Quote:
It's a good question but someone will be stupid enough to do it. I have no idea who though

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:28 AM
Zorg

I wouldn't go as far as ten years, but definitely should be allowed to crack on for at least another season after this imo. He's baffling at times and there are serious question marks but has had some mental situations to cope with. And after complaining that Ole was too nice, people are now saying Erik is too harsh on the players. Make your minds up

It's the players I hate. Bar the newer ones and younger ones, and maybe Fernandes, I just can't stand most of them. They're all some nightmarish combination of bone idle, thick and lazy.

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:39 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Yep. The club needs to stabilise before we can move on.

Sick of managers copping it every time.
The moment standards are introduced like for Ronaldo , Sancho and even now varane, ETH is accused of being harsh or out of order.

There’s obviously a non footballing reason varane isn’t playing so strong chance he’s done something wrong . No sane manager will want to play 3 rd and 4th choice CBs for shots and giggles.

We know he doesn’t rate lindelof and Maguire too highly as they were resorted to bench players last season. Varanes obviously done something ( or not done and maybe pick and choose his matches) and is dropped as a result.

You can’t win . LVG was too meticulous and methodical in his tactics for the players, ole was too nice and didn’t give much tactical input . ETH is now too strict . Jose the same.

Likewise I am tired of these players hiding behind the manager getting him sacked and staying on high wages.

We have a number of shit@#%&!s at the club . It will take 3-4 windows to clear them all . You can’t just remove 20 players from the list .

Realistically atleast 7-10 players still need binning and another 2-3 who are good players but can’t be relied upon like varane Casemiro and Eriksen.

Until Ratcliffe comes in and actually shifts the culture of the club nothing will change. Probably why I root for ETH more . I think once he has the foundations of a working football club he can properly implement what he wants.

At the very least he should be given the time . Won a trophy and finished 3rd last season . He’s not some complete non entity

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:41 AM
Chorlton74

Quote:
It's a good question but someone will be stupid enough to do it. I have no idea who though
anybody taking the job needs their head banging thinking they are going to break this never ending circle. how has martial survived 5 managers already?

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:46 AM
silv

Quote:
anybody taking the job needs their head banging thinking they are going to break this never ending circle. how has martial survived 5 managers already?
I don't understand why he got the nod over Rasmus...

His little flick against Everton? is that it? At least Rasmus doesn't stop running.

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:48 AM
shenwen

Quote:
If they come for money rather than success then 10 million a year plus a nice wedge when the contract inevitably gets cut short would be very tempting.

Our luck we’d get Southgate and he’d be the first manager to survive the usual cull.

Unread 04-12-2023, 10:57 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
I don't understand why he got the nod over Rasmus...

His little flick against Everton? is that it? At least Rasmus doesn't stop running.
Probably just back from injury?

You can only assume there’s some shit in their contracts that means they either get game time or simply too well paid to move them on.

Reeks of Ewar Woowar and we’re so strapped financially we can’t do what Ralf suggested over 18 months ago now.. he knew it and was fired.

Sad thing is with each season we’re going backwards now. I still want ETH to do well and last the season but he’s stuck in a big old rut.

Unread 04-12-2023, 11:38 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
If they come for money rather than success then 10 million a year plus a nice wedge when the contract inevitably gets cut short would be very tempting.

Our luck we’d get Southgate and he’d be the first manager to survive the usual cull.
I would throw my cards in if Southgate got the job

Unread 04-12-2023, 12:12 PM
believe

Quote:

Unread 04-12-2023, 02:18 PM
Buck

It's largely down to the fact there is no obvious replacement that I don't think he will be sacked any point during this season. Could be wrong but if you look at the names who currently have no team the biggest of them is Conte who was spurned two years ago when his stock was higher than it is now. An appointment of that kind also would be in conflict with the direction the club is trying to go in terms of having a structure in place above the manager that works towards a bigger picture than just a short term jolt that inevitably falls apart in two years.

Regarding Ten Hag specifically I think 3rd and a trophy last season should buy him another full season anyway. There was a point after the City win at Old Trafford in January where the victory put us level on points with them iirc. Things dipped after the League Cup Final but we also reached another cup final and had to contend with Europa League football which is a drain on teams because of the schedule. I think he handled last season quite well. The club was in a rotten state when he arrived and as much as Rangnick said the right things ultimately the players he would diagnose as not up to standard in press conferences on a Friday were the ones he still put out on matchday. A lot of those players last season under Ten Hag improved. The middle ground I had was while Rangnick was correct that if you want to chase down City and win titles those players have to be upgraded, Ten Hag last season showed he can still improve those players to be better versions of themselves to a point where once we do get a higher calibre of player then under his management we would reach even better heights, setting better standards and naturally getting us closer to winning titles.

This season it has been really bad. The wins have been really gruelling work and we get beat by the bigger teams without much of a fight. The situation with Rashford has reached a point where I think he has to be taken out of the team for his own good. He looks like he hates football and mentally isn't there. It's not doing any good for the team but the player too trying to play him into form. Ironically the same thing applied with Maguire last season which the manager handled very well. He now looks a lot more confident and performing better individually. Maybe the break is needed for everyone. Rashford at his best is an electrifying player and shown under this manager his best season. The other player I'd take it now is The Scottish Player. He to me is a bit of an elephant in the room. It reminds me a bit of how Van Gaal who nobody ever disputed had a clear style of football to dominate the ball and play up the pitch consistently had an awkward cumbersome player in the middle of the park in Fellaini starting every game. Both are big, can score the odd goal and for their size in theory offer some balance defensively but I think that's extremely deceptive when they are hiding behind the opposition player to avoid being passed to and despite their size don't offer much power and presence. The introduction of Mainoo has been a positive just because here's a kid taking the ball off the CBs and looking to play while also offering some much needed life in midfield. Eriksen's legs are gone which is a shame because the fleeting displays he had with Bruno as an alternating duo getting us playing positive football was what I expected from Ten Hag. The reason I thought Mount was signed was to act as the Eriksen replacement and maybe he still will. We desperately need midfielders who can collect the ball under pressure and link up with the forwards quicker and better.

Lastly one thing on the forwards situation. If Sancho never released a statement the likelihood is he would have been playing the run of games after the Arsenal game in September just because of the investigation into Antony. If he played well we would have had an elite talent finally blossoming at this club which meant once Antony was allowed to return he would have to up his game drastically and as would other forwards to get in the team. That competition for places is good and sets a standard which looks like is really lacking. I was a fan of Martial in his earlier years. In time I think the positives will be remembered more than the negatives but nonetheless he can't be a standard bearer. We have two multiple Champions League winners though who at this point don't look like setting standards either. I don't know how we get out of this but sacking another manager now won't do anything until something above changes.

Unread 04-12-2023, 02:28 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:

It's looking that way, sadly.

I £#%&!ing hate most of our players. Entitled @#%&!s who have achieved nothing.

Unread 04-12-2023, 03:06 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I want him to succeed but let’s be honest here - it’s not looking good is it.

We look a poorly motivated, disinterested mess
So do the players.

Unread 04-12-2023, 03:07 PM
Sheik JaBooty

And therein lays the dichotomy. Most supporters were happy to say 3 or 4 years when he walked through the door, until they have to live those 3 or 4 years week by week and game by game; then it turns out what they actually meant was 3 or 4 months, because up until the season opener we were almost universally satisfied with the progress.

That said, the man needs to wise up about what will get him sacked and stop doing (picking) it.

Unread 04-12-2023, 03:08 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
It's a five year pay packet for a two year gig. What's not to like?
Closed Thread