United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:55 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You don't need a midfield full of defensive minded cloggers like The Scottish Player in order to stop teams walking through you. You need positional and defensive discipline and for everyone to do their job. It's a tough ask to press as a team but if 2 or 3 players aren't doing it properly it £#%&!s everything up.

Like in the first 5 mins when lindelof gets pulled up the pitch to virtually the halfway line and lets his man turn him easy leaving an acre of space in behind and de gea makes a piss poor attempt at a save.
Ten Hag not happy afterwards and basically said the players didn’t follow the rules. Lindelof moment you’ve mentioned being a prime example.

Unread 06-11-2022, 09:14 PM
Joe Biden

The third goal pissed me off the most. Lindelof let the guy run 40 yards and into the area without engaging him. A £#%&!ing schoolboy footballer knows you have to take man or ball ASAP on the counter attacking situation.

Unread 06-11-2022, 09:37 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Weirdly; the last 2 or 3 times he’s shovelled McT on it’s been as an advanced midfielder. Can’t understand why he didn’t do that today. He’s got a goal in him, can get about, is a nuisance and can drive forward with the ball, none of which Beek can do. Could switch with Eriksen when necessary too.
Exactly. I’d have gone for Fred but either better than Beek.

Unread 06-11-2022, 09:44 PM
armchair

Unread 06-11-2022, 09:46 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He's spot on.

Far too often when they're desperate they resort to just slinging balls into the box.

Unread 06-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
As much as it’s shit to lose, it’s nice to have a manager who doesn’t just shrug his shoulders. Pissed off and very clear that it isn’t good enough, acceptable and that standards must be upheld. I expect us to bounce back this week.

Unread 06-11-2022, 09:57 PM
armchair

What I'd like is us to play villa in the cup without ronnie.

Unread 06-11-2022, 10:03 PM
Zorg

Quote:
What I'd like is us to play villa in the cup without ronnie.
Agreed but also without the words 'villa in the cup'

Unread 06-11-2022, 10:32 PM
92ToBury

Main take away from today is how shit Steven Gerrard is as a manager that he couldn't get a tune of out these players.

We were four men down from the team that we've had working well for us, highlighting our lack of options of players who can slot into this system. Casemiro and Martinez have proved excellent buys and lead by example.

Too many not good enough players. Keep the faith with Ten Hag, though, his signings have overall been far better than previous. Ronaldo off the wage bill will free up a lot of cash. Saudi Arabia could do with stepping in again with a new offer in January.

Unread 06-11-2022, 11:00 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Agreed but also without the words 'villa in the cup'

Unread 07-11-2022, 03:03 AM
Denis Irwell

The day after: injuries + tiredness are partly genuine reasons for an excuse, while they plotted their cup final with new manager all week. Wish Erik had listened to moi and let the Sociedad game go by and prioritise this one. More worrying in the lingering fragility of them every time they’re a goal down

Reasons 2b cheerful: if we’d drawn this and drawn vs West Ham, which surprisingly didn’t happen = 2 pts

Beat West Ham + lose at Villa = 3 pts

Straw-clutching

Unread 07-11-2022, 04:02 AM
believe

We haven’t been anyones cup final for ten years all this “new manager bounce”, “They’ll play like 1970 Brazil” “X will have the game of his life” etc is just embarrassing. It’s ok to say we’re just not that good.

Unread 07-11-2022, 05:42 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
We haven’t been anyones cup final for ten years all this “new manager bounce”, “They’ll play like 1970 Brazil” “X will have the game of his life” etc is just embarrassing. It’s ok to say we’re just not that good.
Yep. Villa did nothing special. We gifted them two goals in 10 minutes through amateur defending and keeping and then made it worse by giving them a third just as we had the chance to get back into the game.

It's not the new manager. It's United. Been this way for years.

Unread 07-11-2022, 07:31 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Should've played Eriksen for Bruno and Fred beside Case.
Definito

Unread 07-11-2022, 07:48 AM
Jethro

Quote:
You don't need a midfield full of defensive minded cloggers like The Scottish Player in order to stop teams walking through you. You need positional and defensive discipline and for everyone to do their job. It's a tough ask to press as a team but if 2 or 3 players aren't doing it properly it £#%&!s everything up.

Like in the first 5 mins when lindelof gets pulled up the pitch to virtually the halfway line and lets his man turn him easy leaving an acre of space in behind and de gea makes a piss poor attempt at a save.
Caught the highlights on MOTD. Lindelof for the first goal was genuinely jaw dropping. Not even kids defend like that. There's no excuse for what he did. Pitiful.

Unread 07-11-2022, 07:57 AM
puressence

Then goldbridge says //lindelof at fault for no goals also why did taylor make the wall go back 12 yards for the freekick ffs

Unread 07-11-2022, 08:00 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Well, Eriksen and Beek aren’t going to stop anything. Both amongst the worst players last night. Anyway, all hindsight.

Bruno gets a bit of stick for losing possession/wastefulness but at least he tries to make things happen and gees other players up. Missed him more than I thought we would.

Unread 07-11-2022, 08:10 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
how about we're a work in progress (not very good) whilst they got a new manager bounce? They lost 4-0 last week having won 1 of their last 6 league games. NMB is a thing, but I know you're all about trying to be some kind of Marlo light these days so ill let it go.

Unread 07-11-2022, 11:34 AM
Sparky***

Oooh everyone look at me I played well for the first time in months. #@&%!

Unread 07-11-2022, 11:37 AM
jem

Quote:
https://twitter.com/leonbailey/statu...NaovSLwPMKoaLQ

Oooh everyone look at me I played well for the first time in months. #@&%!
he got elbowed because he jumped on martinez's back three times in ten seconds.

it's not the first time he's played well in months, though.