United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-02-2007, 02:45 PM
koppas

Bearing in mind what he achieved, I am glad Fergie's ego took over.

Unread 12-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Bearing in mind what he achieved, I am glad Fergie's ego took over.
But what he basically did was establish the blueprint for letting a team develop, letting characters come to the fore, needing only to finetune a position or two or add a real quality signing only for him to break it all up and go through this £#%&!ing charade of having to build a new team..

Imagine how good we could've been if Cantona had a real quality strike partner.. If Ince had stayed on.. ( and yes he may be un-popular now but he was a far better player than a young Nicky Butt ).. If Stam had had the opportunity to play alongside Ferdinand and he'd taken the plunge on VDS from the beginning when Schmeichel had retired. If he hadn't bought all that dross post European Cup when our stock was at a highpoint..

In a nutshell the complete rebuilds basically deflect the pressure and ensure that he can keep the contracts rolling under the premise of "seeing the job through.."

Just my opinion..

Unread 12-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
[b]

I think much of our success since then has been despite his actions post '95 not because of..
Comedy

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:04 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
But what he basically did was establish the blueprint for letting a team develop, letting characters come to the fore, needing only to finetune a position or two or add a real quality signing only for him to break it all up and go through this £#%&!ing charade of having to build a new team..

Imagine how good we could've been if Cantona had a real quality strike partner.. If Ince had stayed on.. ( and yes he may be un-popular now but he was a far better player than a young Nicky Butt ).. If Stam had had the opportunity to play alongside Ferdinand and he'd taken the plunge on VDS from the beginning when Schmeichel had retired. If he hadn't bought all that dross post European Cup when our stock was at a highpoint..

In a nutshell the complete rebuilds basically deflect the pressure and ensure that he can keep the contracts rolling under the premise of "seeing the job through.."

Just my opinion..

Not 100% with you on that one, but a very compelling arguement.

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Comedy
Well argued TT.

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:12 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
Rooney's was the best debut I've ever seen.
u should have seen kanchs

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:25 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
u should have seen kanchs

C'mon pure, in terms of oppostion at least, best debut should go to Rooney.

Notts County were the worst team ever to grace the top flight imo.

Pure - How did Kanchelski's song on the terraces go ? I recall it being piss funny and having a little jig to accompany it.

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:27 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
C'mon pure, in terms of oppostion at least, best debut should go to Rooney.

Notts County were the worst team ever to grace the top flight imo.
mate you had to be there ... the fullback retired after the game

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:28 PM
carlosartorial

Point of order: Kanchelskis debut was at Crystal Palace at the end of the 90/91 season, a few days before Rotterdam.

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
mate you had to be there ... the fullback retired after the game

Pure I was there. First game of the season. Someone's car set on fire in the parking lot and it was announced over the tannoy. Didn't know he retired !! What was his name ?

Carlos. Pure did say full debut, but you're right in saying Kanchelskis did debut away at Palace the season before.

Unread 12-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Well argued TT.
Well okay.

Ince and Stam both had to go, and these decisions have been proved correct on personal and professional levels imo.

I'm struggling to think of a strike partner that would have suited Eric more than Sparky. The answer is almost certainly Shearer, and we know what happened there.

As for VDS who knows? He appeared to bottle it at Juventus. Maybe he'd be £#%&! all in England without having gone to Fulham first.

Basically I just laughed out loud at the idea that the success post 95 is more in spite of than because of the management. The notion that he deliberately breaks the team up every so often to raise his own value is curious as well. Football teams rarely - if ever? - stay at the top for more than a couple of years without fresh blood.

If you were to say we could now have a team with a spine of Stam, Ferdinand, Ince, Scholes, Eric and Hughes. With Andrei on one side and Shape on the other. And they were all at their peak and had shed their baggage. Well yeah I'd pay to watch them.

But I would be a lot happier watching the 91 ECWC final again. Or Palace away in 93. Or the FA Cup semi replay in 99. Or Arsenal 2-0 Veron. Or Bolton away earlier this season. Or Arsenal at Villa Pk in 2004. Or the derby in April 94. Or the kids batter Bolton in 95. Or Saints away in 2000. Or Liverpool away in 97. Or Oldham at Maine Rd.

Unread 12-02-2007, 04:38 PM
bad_wolf

i was in the scoreboard paddock for the notts county game(last season of standing i think) so i got a close up of kanchelskis's debut, £#%&!ing awsome.

but i would say that ronaldo's v bolton and rooney's in the cl just about top it.

Unread 12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
koppas

Vidic vs Blackburn.

25th Jan 2006.

The beast was unleashed.

Unread 12-02-2007, 04:42 PM
bad_wolf

henning berg v southamton(i think) was pretty good aswell

Unread 12-02-2007, 04:44 PM
koppas

Keith Gillespie vs Newcastle springs to mind.

Unread 12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_wolf
i was in the scoreboard paddock for the notts county game(last season of standing i think) so i got a close up of kanchelskis's debut, £#%&!ing awsome.
Wasn't the paddock (standing) still there when we won the League in 1993. I'm sure it was.

Unread 12-02-2007, 05:02 PM
bad_wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Wasn't the paddock (standing) still there when we won the League in 1993. I'm sure it was.
yep i stand corrected

Unread 12-02-2007, 05:25 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Point of order: Kanchelskis debut was at Crystal Palace at the end of the 90/91 season, a few days before Rotterdam.
yes we gor beat 3 nil hence the words full debut

Unread 12-02-2007, 05:33 PM
koppas

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?...lid=36&cpid=11

Came close to joining Brighton.

Unread 12-02-2007, 05:33 PM
bad_wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
£#%&!ing memory is a funny thing now i'm getting old, the paddock(scoreboard) was still there in 94(first double year )aswell, just found my old lmtb out to check, found some old united reviews out aswell i had tottaly forgoten about the token scheme bought many a programme I didnt want just for the £#%&!ing token lol
Closed Thread