United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Tiberian

Default Tevez

Half a season on, what is the verdict?

I was against his signing initially, thought that a different style of striker would be a better choice, Torres for example.

He has done quite well, his attitude(bar yesterday) has been first rate, works very hard, very tenacious on the ball and had developed a good understanding with Rooney.

However his level of technical ability has disappointed me, often takes 3/4 touches to get the ball under control, generally takes too long to release the ball, and his finishing lacks composure, often snatches at chances.

He has been talked off as a player who could potentially win the big individual prizes in the future. I can not see it, good player, but a step down from true world class.

If Saha was on his 2006 form, Tevez would be third choice by quite a margin for me.

Considering his lack of a real pre season he could come on strong in the second half of the season and surprise a few of us though.

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:36 PM
chorleyred

he's done well for me, still a lot more to come I think.

messi says he's the best player he's played with so he can't be that bad, as most on here seem to think after yesterday

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:37 PM
1MUFC

He has and will score goals in very important games for me. He is rough around the edges but hopefully he will improve that. In regard to saha, if saha is fit and confident there aren’t many players who would start ahead of him.

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Ether

He's a good player, done well for us but wouldn't say he's been outstanding. People seem to have gone over the top either way with him. There's been some on here saying he's just the new Forlan, and others saying he's the 2007 Cantona. Both absolutely £#%&!ing ridiculous.

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Whalefish

It's all ifs and buts with Saha, I'm £#%&!ing sick of it. He needs binning and Utd need to get another striker asap.

Tevez is fine and will be even better next season with a decent bit of a rest and a full pre-season. That pre-season work will also benefit Anderson and Hargreaves greatly, Nani too although I think the latter needs a lot of £#%&!ing work.

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
He's a good player, done well for us but wouldn't say he's been outstanding. People seem to have gone over the top either way with him. There's been some on here saying he's just the new Forlan, and others saying he's the 2007 Cantona. Both absolutely £#%&!ing ridiculous.
Very true. He's not a squad changing player, but he's also not a flop.

I think people made a bit too much of a mistake judging him on West Ham and some Argentina games.

There is more to come I'm certain and people must give him time but he's not an automatic place like Rooney.

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
he looked totally disinterested yesterday and was a waste of a shirt (not the only one granted)

also didn't need to read on the day of the game that he ''wouldn't celebra\te if he scored''...get to £#%&!

do what Ronnie did in Lisbon...although at least score first
The difference between his performances at home and away has been quite stark. Generally at home he gets time on the ball, can get his head up and pick an option. Away he has not yet adjusted to the fact that he will not get that time and space. He got the goal at Liverpool, but was anonymous bar that, though given the result it seems churlish to complain.

Lacked his usual aggression yesterday, let the occasion get to him, what happens when he is playing a crucial European game, championship decider at the end of the season?

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:45 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The difference between his performances at home and away has been quite stark. Generally at home he gets time on the ball, can get his head up and pick an option. Away he has not yet adjusted to the fact that he will not get that time and space. He got the goal at Liverpool, but was anonymous bar that, though given the result it seems churlish to complain.

Lacked his usual aggression yesterday, let the occasion get to him, what happens when he is playing a crucial European game, championship decider at the end of the season?
exactly....who is our last home game against again get him on the £#%&!in bench against West @#%&!in ham if he is gonna do such a blatant no show

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Whalefish

One thing I'd like to point out is that last Summer Utd arguably needed two strikers in. Rossi was going and no one really expected much from Saha - most expected him to leave, me included. Utd got one decent forward in Tevez but then left it at that.

To date we have been playing half a season with 2 and a bit strikers. We used to have four. Our options to change our style of attack has been hampered by the clubs failure to bring someone in who'd offer something different to Wayne or Carlos. IMO, Saha knows he's not really wanted and by and large that has shown in the games he has played.

If cash really was an issue did Utd really have to commit huge sums to the signings of Nani and Hargreaves? Just a thought. I'm really not sure atm and I do worry that the Summer expenditure will hamper the clubs ability to compete in the next couple of windows.

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:53 PM
1MUFC

You cant question the singings we have made during the past 2 or 3 seasons, they have been top class players. We do need another striker on top of Rooney, Tevez and Saha. Will be interesting how this Angolan stirker turns out.

Rooney, Tevez and Saha will score more than enough goals. Saha is getting there and when he hits top form he will score a £#%&!ing shit load of goals.

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:54 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
One thing I'd like to point out is that last Summer Utd arguably needed two strikers in. Rossi was going and no one really expected much from Saha - most expected him to leave, me included. Utd got one decent forward in Tevez but then left it at that.

To date we have been playing half a season with 2 and a bit strikers. We used to have four. Our options to change our style of attack has been hampered by the clubs failure to bring someone in who'd offer something different to Wayne or Carlos. IMO, Saha knows he's not really wanted and by and large that has shown in the games he has played.

If cash really was an issue did Utd really have to commit huge sums to the signings of Nani and Hargreaves? Just a thought. I'm really not sure atm and I do worry that the Summer expenditure will hamper the clubs ability to compete in the next couple of windows.
yo Phil you forgot about Manucho

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Whalefish

Perhaps MUFC, I'm just not convinced and like I said I'm worried last Summer's outlay will seriously handicap us in the next couple of windows when one or two areas need strengthening.

I'm not holding my breath re the Angolan striker but you never know. Looks like he's going on loan for the next 6months anyway.

Another thing that worries me, between Carrick/Scholes/Hargreaves/Anderson/Fletcher they only have one league goal this season.

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
Saha is getting there and when he hits top form he will score a £#%&!ing shit load of goals.
Are you serious? he was a £#%&!ing disgrace yesterday, and has been most times he's started this season

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
yo Phil you forgot about Manucho
I'm not counting him, he's going out on loan for 6months isn't he? No use to Utd during the second half of the season.

Unread 30-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Tiberian

Quote:

Hargreaves, carrick and Anderson give us good options for the future in midfield. Scholes may only be a viable option until the end of next season. Anderson has progressed quicker than most of us thought he would, probably surprised even Fergie with his ability to play in CM this early.

Hargreaves was a necessary signing, and we badly needed an alternative to Giggs, Nani is raw but he has plenty of ability and will only improve.

Still think we should have kept Rossi for another season, he may be similar in stature to Tevez and Rooney, but he is an excellent finisher, could have done a job for us like Eduardo is doing for Arsenal, not getting many games but putting the ball away when he does play.

Unread 30-12-2007, 05:01 PM
£#%&! KFC

Saha is getting there and when he hits top form he will score a £#%&!ing shit load of goals.

have a great big

what a load of shite

Unread 30-12-2007, 05:02 PM
1MUFC

Quote:
Are you serious? he was a £#%&!ing disgrace yesterday, and has been most times he's started this season
He has been out for months upon months and obviously struggled mentally to get confidence back. He has only been bled back into the side few minutes at a time for the last £#%&!ing month so what do you expect ?. His confidence in his body is obviously getting there, he has knocked 2 or 3 goals in lately as well, he is on his way…

Your little bum chum Ferdinand wasn’t exactly on fire among others. We played shit, get over it.

Unread 30-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
He has been out for months upon months and obviously struggled mentally to get confidence back. He has only been bled back into the side few minutes at a time for the last £#%&!ing month so what do you expect ?.
Er, he's started 6 of our last 10 games. Scored 2 goals, 1 a pen. Of those 6 games I'd say he's had 1 maybe 2 decent performances. The rest have been awful. He doesn't even look any fitter now than at the start of the season, still incapable of running properly and chasing things down. Or maybe just unwilling.

Unread 30-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Coracao

Quote:
I'm not counting him, he's going out on loan for 6months isn't he? No use to Utd during the second half of the season.
Is he? Where?

Unread 30-12-2007, 05:12 PM
1MUFC

Quote:
Er, he's started 6 of our last 10 games. Scored 2 goals, 1 a pen. Of those 6 games I'd say he's had 1 maybe 2 decent performances. The rest have been awful. He doesn't even look any fitter now than at the start of the season, still incapable of running properly and chasing things down. Or maybe just unwilling.
Yes he does. How many minutes has he played in them 10 games ? how long has he been out prior to them ?
Closed Thread