United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 15-06-2023, 08:32 PM
erictheking7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Genuinely don’t understand how people who say City’s treble doesn’t count, and talk about asterisks and 115 etc, can also welcome Qatar with open arms. There’s no logical argument for it anyway. If you just want United to win at any cost then fair enough.
I like you so I’m not having a go. I don’t want United to win at any cost but I want us to be at least able to compete. Do you realise that in just three years, City could have more European cups than us? Who do you see stopping them? We need a major repair, we don’t have the means with the Glazers. We won’t have it with Glazer lite. I don’t particularly want Qatar but the works we need can only be done with rich owners.

Unread 15-06-2023, 08:32 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Well there is a fairly big difference pal. You know that voting democracy thingy …Not our fault that a sizeable proportion of the UK electorate have no discernible morals.
. Tell that to Boris and Jacob

Unread 15-06-2023, 08:52 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheking7
I like you so I’m not having a go. I don’t want United to win at any cost but I want us to be at least able to compete. Do you realise that in just three years, City could have more European cups than us? Who do you see stopping them? We need a major repair, we don’t have the means with the Glazers. We won’t have it with Glazer lite. I don’t particularly want Qatar but the works we need can only be done with rich owners.
You say you don't want to win at any cost, but then go on to say that even though you don't want Qatar as owners, the money they offer is too appealing so United can win against City. I'm not trying to be a #@&%!head, it just doesn't sound consistent, and it reads a bit like ethers was referring to in the post you replied to.

Personally couldn't care less if City win more Champions Leagues, same as I didn't care about their treble. But unfortunately following their £#%&!ed up ownership model will only give everything they've done significantly more legitimacy.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:06 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheking7
This thinking is so erroneous it beggars belief.

We've spent more than City on fees this decade. If Qataris coming in signals a reboot with crème de la crème of executive management as City did with the Barca boys, then great. If Qataris coming in signals £600 million thrown at the wall in the manner Boehly has at Chelsea or even aligned with the funds wasted by PSG (see the half-billion or whatever it is spent on total package for Messi/Neymar) then it won't matter.

Meanwhile Madrid have scooped up more European Cups than in our history this decade while sitting outside the top 20 for spend.

Outright spend (even if financed by debt .. because how it is financed is irrelevant to the fact it is spent and lands in someone's pocket, somewhere) has never been the problem: executive management has. The onus is on whatever party comes in next to get that fixed as first port of call.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:07 PM
Dr Stranger

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:11 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Kin ell

It's 100% which journos are in who's pocket at this point. Every day the story is different ffs.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:12 PM
AK14

Jimbo’s like the terminator!

Just keeps ploughing forward.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:13 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Jimbo’s like the terminator!

Just keeps ploughing forward.
He's probably just had another pay day loan approved.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:15 PM
Baron

That’s the crux of it and something I’ve voiced immense displeasure at for a decade. Spending and being ripped off, luxury players, a frankly schizophrenic approach to both recruitment and retention. No ruthlessness, no coaching to improve what we have. No meaningful footballing philosophy (urgh).

We should clearly have done better but we consistently chose the wrong manager. Has beens & never were’s in a managerial sense (sorry Ole).

Just badly run. & that is a Glazer fault, but also started when Fergie left and anointed the wrong man. It set a tone we’ve not shaken off and it’s depressing reading. Highest wage bill in the league, most money spent. Some of the smallest recouped vs outlay.

We don’t ‘need’ Qatar, but we also don’t need an alternative that doesn’t understand how to set up a club to succeed and I don’t look at Nice as some measure of best in class of how to operate in this climate.

In ETH we trust, everything else feels like degrees of failing to uphold our values regardless. Choosing sportswashing or greenwashing isn’t a choice, but it’s effectively what we’re faced with. If you don’t vote you’re liable, if you do you’re accountable.

Damned if we do etc.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:32 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
That’s the crux of it and something I’ve voiced immense displeasure at for a decade. Spending and being ripped off, luxury players, a frankly schizophrenic approach to both recruitment and retention. No ruthlessness, no coaching to improve what we have. No meaningful footballing philosophy (urgh).

We should clearly have done better but we consistently chose the wrong manager. Has beens & never were’s in a managerial sense (sorry Ole).

Just badly run. & that is a Glazer fault, but also started when Fergie left and anointed the wrong man. It set a tone we’ve not shaken off and it’s depressing reading. Highest wage bill in the league, most money spent. Some of the smallest recouped vs outlay.

We don’t ‘need’ Qatar, but we also don’t need an alternative that doesn’t understand how to set up a club to succeed and I don’t look at Nice as some measure of best in class of how to operate in this climate.

In ETH we trust, everything else feels like degrees of failing to uphold our values regardless. Choosing sportswashing or greenwashing isn’t a choice, but it’s effectively what we’re faced with. If you don’t vote you’re liable, if you do you’re accountable.

Damned if we do etc.
do you look at PSG as a model of how to run a football club?

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:35 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:

Damned if we do etc.
Post.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:41 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
do you look at PSG as a model of how to run a football club?
If that’s your takeaway I must’ve £#%&!ed it.

Obviously not, I don’t want that. I don’t want anything from either of them. I just want us to be self sustained and debt free, but that’s not on the table. I could’ve run Utd better from a football perspective in the last 10 years than we have.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:56 PM
pedr0

Quote:
If that’s your takeaway I must’ve £#%&!ed it.

Obviously not, I don’t want that. I don’t want anything from either of them. I just want us to be self sustained and debt free, but that’s not on the table. I could’ve run Utd better from a football perspective in the last 10 years than we have.
fair enough, I'd misread your 4th para as implying the qataris were a safer bet to run the club well.

Unread 15-06-2023, 09:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Like groundhog day. Any time we hear that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel, we hear the complete opposite within a matter of hours.

Unread 15-06-2023, 10:08 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Like groundhog day. Any time we hear that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel, we hear the complete opposite within a matter of hours.
Tbf, The Times are the only ones saying that and they’ve been Big Jim’s mouthpiece through this.

Unread 15-06-2023, 10:34 PM
Finport Red

The glazers ruin absolutely everything.

Unread 15-06-2023, 11:11 PM
Lodestar

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell. You go and make a brew then find it's all changed again. Qatar was nail on at 5:00pm.

Unread 15-06-2023, 11:16 PM
jem

it seems quite unbelievable that they would keep us limbo when they only care about what's best for the club.

Unread 16-06-2023, 01:50 AM
madhattricks

Reuters doubling down that exclusive negotiations are happening with Jassim. But yep the glazers are at minimum giving us one last F U as the process almost certainly won’t conclude before the start of next season. Another transfer window ruined.

Unread 16-06-2023, 04:50 AM
Denis Irwell

Drawing comparison with Qatar and City owners is a a wum. Whatever the outcome,we won’t know what kind of owners we’re going to get until it happens.

Worst case:

Qatar: Will be Woodward mk II (with more money) and sign players we don’t want over the managers head ie Neymar etc. Some would say even if they £#%&!ed endless funds over us, it is merely redressing the wrongs of the past 20 years. They might also pay off the debt, fix the stadium and allow the club to run itself, as it is well capable of doing and return to being genuinely the most profitable club in world football on its own merit.

Jim: Glazers mkII. can’t afford to buy the club outright,so he sure won’t address the debt, never mind the stadium and player purchases and…. We get the pleasure of these vile creeps still hanging around as a bonus. At best, we can still earn enough to run the club as it should be but somebody is still going to have to pay the debt and fix the stadium, as well as recruit the best part of a new team, plus… the Glazers

Tough choice.

Worrying about what other clubs/fans/media think? £#%&!,off. We’ve had their envy and hate for decades for the sins of being the most successful club who were hung out to dry for helping Englands World Cup bid in 2000 etc etc. Can’t do right for doing wrong.

Human rights: give over. You’ve suddenly become aware of this after years of Abramovich, City and now Newcastle. Who needs enemies with “supporters” like this? Genie is well and truly out of the bottle and it’s not going back in. Hope you’ll enjoy your righteousness while we consistently languish in 8th place. Then you’ll stop “supporting“ United because it’s not the same anymore while our former rivals clean up. We’ll miss you. The game has changed. The alternative is to become West Ham while they win trophies in their new stadium. Being brought up during Fergies glory years is no barometer for past or future success but go with Jim and you’ll get to know life with United outside the top 6