United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 17-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Not sure what you watch tbh. Definitely isn't United.

Rashford is as unselfish as they come. But he's a striker, he's supposed to try and score.

It's not that I have favourites, it's that I don't watch the game desperate to find fault and criticise. You don't say anything positive, ever. Rashford had a shit game last night, but never stopped grafting despite getting £#%&! all service/support, getting booted all over the show and being frustrated all the way through. And scored.
I'm positive you're wrong. How's that?

Unread 17-03-2019, 11:59 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I'm positive you're wrong. How's that?
Even that is misplaced, what a £#%&!ing shock

You're like the anti-pure. He lathers the forum with positive proclamations and scout reports so he can be right on occasion and reminder everyone and claim his sage. You cover every match thread and every thread on football with negativity about how we're shit and all our players are shit and we're going to lose so when you are inevitably right; because no team wins every game and no player is good every week.. you can hark back to it and claim to be some doom predicting Nostradamus.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

You're like the anti-pure. :
Thank you.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:21 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Thank you.
Honestly not a compliment in this instance.

The lad could probably out run you these days as well.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Stone Monkey

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:27 PM
puressence

Quote:
honestly not a compliment in this instance.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Buck

Quote:
Even that is misplaced, what a £#%&!ing shock

You're like the anti-pure. He lathers the forum with positive proclamations and scout reports so he can be right on occasion and reminder everyone and claim his sage. You cover every match thread and every thread on football with negativity about how we're shit and all our players are shit and we're going to lose so when you are inevitably right; because no team wins every game and no player is good every week.. you can hark back to it and claim to be some doom predicting Nostradamus.
Or Sparkles is just one of those people who can't dare say a positive word in case it jinxes shit as if what you type on the internet can impact a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around. Most grow out of that habit but I'm not one to judge...

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:30 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Or Sparkles is just one of those people who can't dare say a positive word in case it jinxes shit as if what you type on the internet can impact a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around. Most grow out of that habit but I'm not one to judge...
Possible tbf. Loves a reverse curse...

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Honestly not a compliment in this instance.

Great. Maybe he could get a game for us on the right wing.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:31 PM
DuanePipe

There is a tried and tested way to beat Wolves. It's hard because the way to do it requires a lot of effort and committent and involves the risk of being countered. I won't go in to great detail but Utd, almost by accident it seemed, nearly fell upon it a few times last night. It involves creating two on ones against our wide areas and crossing, crossing, crossing relentlessly. Smalling played a really nice ball in to Rashford down the line, nearly created a chance and I thought that would have set a light off in the minds of your players as to how to get the job done.

When Martial and Shaw teamed up against Doherty, that approach would have created more chances if it'd had been stuck to all night. Overload our wide areas because our wingbacks play really, really high.

What definitely does not work is trying to play through the middle of us and waiting for a mistake. In fact, that approach is exactly what we thrive on. Our entire game is based on the opponent passing it slowly and carefully in our own half whereby Dendonker, Neves or Moutinho will win the ball and immediately hit Raul or Jota with one pass.

Seeing the Utd line up I was pretty concerned to be honest. Shaw, Dalot, Rashford, Martial should have been tailor made to build attacks from wide areas but for some reason the tendency just to keep playing it safe through the middle persisted all night despite never looking like a good route to a goal. Oh - and the short corners. Relief all round with the short corners. We struggle against direct crosses so the short corners you played were odd.

Ignoring all that though for a second. I think what it really came down to is our three ball playing midfielders were more adept and disrupting your approach on the ball than Pogba, Matic or Lindgard were in the opposite direction. Oh, and that I'd be willing to lose every player in our team if needs be, but NOT our manager. He's the reason we're where we are, him.

Appreciate the fact that Utd fans seem to be genuinely gutted and willing to call it as it was. When we knocked Liverpool out the entire narrative was that they played a reserve side. Virtually nobody addressed the fact that we did too.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
A very poor display, and probably the poorest of Solskjaer's tenure so far. We look like a tired team, and I actually think the emotion of Paris has drained us in a way.

I also feel we're a side that is too over-reliant on two players in Pogba and Martial. Neither of them were on it today, and as a result, the team had no inspiration, and never really clicked. Same thing happened in the PSG first leg, with Martial going off injured, and Pogba being sent off. When those two aren't firing, we're a badly effected side. Mental to think these were the two that Jose tried to freeze out the most.

Struck me today how young this side is, too. Dalot, Shaw and Lindelof at the back, and Martial, Lingard and Rashford up front are not what you'd class as established yet, with all of them still developing at the very top level. Pereira coming off the bench, too. I don't think we necessarily need to buy any veterans, as I think some of these lads will grow into leaders, but it will take time. As has been alluded to by others in other threads, I think the Barcelona games could be an eye-opening lesson for this young side in the same way that the AC Milan tie was in 2007. Hopefully it has similar long-term effects.

Herrera probably isn't fully fit yet, but it's still obviously apparent where we need signings, as the midfield isn't good enough at controlling a game, and we are crying out for some top-class quality on the right flank to give us balance. Shaw and Martial down the left, with Dalot and a top-class right-side attacker on the right flank would make us so much more threatening. I'm confident Ole is the man to identify and sign the right players.

Hope Wolves win it now; a club with far more history and tradition than City, and their current side plays good football. Jimenez is a proper player.
Agreed pal.

Paris seems to have affected us badly, whether it's tiredness or complacency/believing our own hype.

The side is young. Martial, Rashford and Pogba are our match winners, but all of them struggle to string 5 good performances, for various reasons. Rash and Martial can be somewhat excused as they're still young (although that is wearing thin now as they enter a fifth season at the club next season).

Pogba pisses me off though. 26 this week. Not a kid anymore. He had Paris off and was missing for most of the last few weeks of Jose. He's reverted to type the last few games and seems like the type who will happily dine out on a few good perofmances.

Too many of them seemingly need a rocket up their arse and reminder of the standards expected of them. They shouldn't have to be reminded of this every few games.

Arsenal defeat was excusable, but last night was a real chance to go for some silverware this season. A trip to Wembley and brush off the Arsenal game. We had a week off too. We blew it and blew it badly. We barely put up a fight. Wolves wanted it more and that's unacceptable. That's the first team we've been outfought

I'm pleased to see Ole come out today and say that simply wasn't good enough. That it was the worst performance so far, because it clearly was. He's not making excuses for them. He got it wrong too. It was his poorest game too.

We're at a bit of a cross roads now. The international break has come at a good time. Hit the reset button when we come back. We have a Watford team who will have one eye on the FA Cup. Pick up where we were a few weeks ago and this can be quickly forgotten, but carry this form into April and three months of good work could be undone in one.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Denis Irwell

I think for a while now, players have prioritised what they see, as pros, as the bigger trophies. Even international call ups appear to be given a higher priority. We’ve got the target of finishing 4th, to qualify for the CL and of course, now we have Barcelona coming up. Whatever we think, these bigger games/trophies in their view are another notch/feather in the players’ cap. There’s been a definite decline in the FA cup, particularly from overseas players’ eyes. Lukaku couldn’t even be arsed turning up for the final. We’ve dropped pts vs the dippers and arse but in both cases, the players generally put in a performance.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:50 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
There is a tried and tested way to beat Wolves. It's hard because the way to do it requires a lot of effort and committent and involves the risk of being countered. I won't go in to great detail but Utd, almost by accident it seemed, nearly fell upon it a few times last night. It involves creating two on ones against our wide areas and crossing, crossing, crossing relentlessly. Smalling played a really nice ball in to Rashford down the line, nearly created a chance and I thought that would have set a light off in the minds of your players as to how to get the job done.

When Martial and Shaw teamed up against Doherty, that approach would have created more chances if it'd had been stuck to all night. Overload our wide areas because our wingbacks play really, really high.

What definitely does not work is trying to play through the middle of us and waiting for a mistake. In fact, that approach is exactly what we thrive on. Our entire game is based on the opponent passing it slowly and carefully in our own half whereby Dendonker, Neves or Moutinho will win the ball and immediately hit Raul or Jota with one pass.

Seeing the Utd line up I was pretty concerned to be honest. Shaw, Dalot, Rashford, Martial should have been tailor made to build attacks from wide areas but for some reason the tendency just to keep playing it safe through the middle persisted all night despite never looking like a good route to a goal. Oh - and the short corners. Relief all round with the short corners. We struggle against direct crosses so the short corners you played were odd.

Ignoring all that though for a second. I think what it really came down to is our three ball playing midfielders were more adept and disrupting your approach on the ball than Pogba, Matic or Lindgard were in the opposite direction. Oh, and that I'd be willing to lose every player in our team if needs be, but NOT our manager. He's the reason we're where we are, him.

Appreciate the fact that Utd fans seem to be genuinely gutted and willing to call it as it was. When we knocked Liverpool out the entire narrative was that they played a reserve side. Virtually nobody addressed the fact that we did too.
Can we have Neves please.

Oh and may as well take Jimenez, Doherty and Moutinho too

Thanks.

Sparky is spot on imo.

It’s strange how some players are blameless no matter how poor they are

Rashford is a kid and inconsistency is a trait of a young player, I can handle that tbh. But certain other players haven’t got that excuse and the worrying thing is they revert to type now that perhaps the new manager bounce has worn off?

Hopefully it’s just a blip and we come back firing after the international break. I do think that having four player returning from injury at the same time was a problem, but tbf to Ole he had to do it to get them back to full fitness ASAP.

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Buck

Quote:

Hard to believe this is the guy Valencia sacked to bring in Gary Neville

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:17 PM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Can we have Neves please.

Oh and may as well take Jimenez, Doherty and Moutinho too

Thanks.
See that pass that Neves made to Jota (good save from Romero) at the end of the first half? He does that every week.

Genuinely, people should ignore the worldy long shot goals and judge him purely on his ability as a deep lying midfielder. His highlight reel is passing. Has a beautiful element of snide to his game too.

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:28 PM
AK14

Quote:
See that pass that Neves made to Jota (good save from Romero) at the end of the first half? He does that every week.

Genuinely, people should ignore the worldy long shot goals and judge him purely on his ability as a deep lying midfielder. His highlight reel is passing. Has a beautiful element of snide to his game too.
He’s the best player out side of the top six clubs imo and is better than a lot in the top six teams too...

You get what I mean

Would love us to sign him but we’ll no doubt miss out on him.

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Disastrous result. A massive body blow. The only realistic opportunity to win silverware this season and a chance to stop city doing the lot. Gutted.

Want Liverpool for the league now
Confident Liverpool won’t win the European cup then, are you.

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:35 PM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He’s the best player out side of the top six clubs imo and is better than a lot in the top six teams too...

You get what I mean

Would love us to sign him but we’ll no doubt miss out on him.
Ed on good terms with Mendes presently?

Or has the unpleasantness with Mourinho put a spanner in the works?

If I was betting on Neves' next club, it'd be Juventus.

Mendes seems to be doing a lot with them and Ruben is an absolute Pirlo fan-boy.

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:43 PM
puressence

not sure how anyone is losing there shit atm surely the caretaker manager has to able to add to the team make it his own team ive well enjoyed the footie since december

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:46 PM
AK14

Quote:
Ed on good terms with Mendes presently?

Or has the unpleasantness with Mourinho put a spanner in the works?

If I was betting on Neves' next club, it'd be Juventus.

Mendes seems to be doing a lot with them and Ruben is an absolute Pirlo fan-boy.