United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-09-2007, 09:21 AM
MUFC One Love

Default Last season's season review.

Anybody else got it? I'm just about to stick it on. Which is the game that you love the most? Mine has to be Everton away, 2-0 down, when Rooney scores the 3rd it's still immense!

Unread 12-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

That was my Birthday that day and much like everything else in life I had accepted defeat. It's not as nice when you accept defeat and then come back, can't explain it.
Hightlights of the season include Fulham away and Roma at home. But watching Roma at home reminds me of the next tie in the European cup. Which makes me sad.

Unread 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
MUFC One Love

There was just something about the Everton game, for one minute Chelsea are winning, we're losing and the season is crumbling and you start thinking "if we throw this title away can we even win it again?" then suddenly Chelsea are drawing and we're winning, and you knew we were champions. What made it special was it was Manchester United all over. We looked tired yet scored 4 goals.

Unread 12-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Stretters

Awesome DVD a little compilation of VIDIC with some great quotes from players

Rio is pretty funny in it as well

Unread 12-09-2007, 09:52 AM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Roma at home was immense. Was in Tier 2 for that, £#%&!ing brilliant. Couldn't believe it when even the south stand joined the rest of the ground in a rendition of "we shall not be moved". Blackburn a week before was brilliant too. Went £#%&!ing nuts when Scholes scored!

SF 1st Leg against Milan was just a wonderful games of football. When Rooney got that last minute winner, I really thought we had a good chance of reaching the final

Fulham away was brilliant. Didn't play well, but that late winner from our Ronnie

Liverpool away made me all week! The home game against the murderers was fantastic too, showing them up for the shower of shite we all knew they were!

I think I went through every emotion imaginable during the Everton game. From abject depression (when we went 2-0 down), to sheers delight (when the chelsea game finished 2-2). One of the craziest 90 minutes of football I've ever experienced.

Unread 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Smeggs

i've got it. it's a good watch full of good (and some bad) memories.

being right behins the goal for ronny's winner at fulham has to be the highlight for me.

Smithy's goal v Roma from K as well.

Unread 12-09-2007, 10:25 AM
The Return of JC

Did anyone else get to December and sort of forget we signed Larsson.

I actually said, 'Who's that?' for a split second when they showed the press conference. Shows how surprisingly uneventful his stint was really.

He's a cracking player and a great pro and it was good to see him pull on the shirt, but I really don't think he helped us that much. After the Villa debut I thought he'd kick ass. Never really happened for him though. He slowed our play down too.

Unread 12-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Did anyone else get to December and sort of forget we signed Larsson.

I actually said, 'Who's that?' for a split second when they showed the press conference. Shows how surprisingly uneventful his stint was really.

He's a cracking player and a great pro and it was good to see him pull on the shirt, but I really don't think he helped us that much. After the Villa debut I thought he'd kick ass. Never really happened for him though. He slowed our play down too.
That is exactly correct.

Unread 12-09-2007, 10:47 AM
MUFC One Love

I can't even remember when Larsson joined us.

Can't believe Fergie was starting him at Arsenal and Liverpool away etc. Our style was great with a quick strong centre forward.

Unread 12-09-2007, 10:51 AM
puressence

larsson was quality

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Darth Vidic

I agree JC.

Actually, one of my favourite games was the opening one.

After it looked like Ronaldo might leave, no defensive midfielder signed, we just came out and battered them. After so many seasons of drawing with teams we should hammer it looked like the old United was back with pace, power & aggression up front.

Start as you mean to go on

Bolton away was good too, teams struggled there and we just ripped them apart

There were teams we played at home where domination is an understatement, like against Portsmouth, Neville was playing as a winger practically.

For the run in, I'd say the Blackburn game, goal behind and losing Vidic, it was a great reaction, and Scholes' goal was class.

We scored so many great goals last season as well

Ronaldo vs Villa away (carried it a long way)
Fulham away
Portsmouth at home (the freekick)

Rooney vs Roma away (Ronaldo's run in the build up was great)
Bolton at home (love that goal, right from the edge of our penalty area involving only 2 players)
Milan at home (Scholes pass)
and his other one against them
Watford at home (Ronaldo's pass and then his chip)
Portsmouth in the cup

Scholes vs Villa away
Blackburn at home
Newcastle away

Carrick against Roma

And Smith's finish to the all one touch move against Roma, brilliant.

I might have even left some others out

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:04 AM
puressence

wgts own goal at pompey was a personnal highlight

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
larsson was quality
Was he?

For two games, maybe. Do you remember Arsenal away? And many other games or that matter?

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Ronaldo Vs Fulham
Scholes Vs Villa
ANFIELD
Roma (h)
Everton away, hungover and expecting the worst
The rout at Spurs

The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Was he?

For two games, maybe. Do you remember Arsenal away? And many other games or that matter?
Honestly, this is someone who thinks Fergie getting beaten up and Rio potentially ending jeopardising our title hopes is funny.

He's cool, you see.

The Watcher

Quote:
Playing him as a target man didn't help.

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Playing him as a target man didn't help.
But he still wasn't 'quality' for us, correct?

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:11 AM
The Return of JC

I think we all concur on the best moments.

Ronaldo's goal at Fulham was THE most important goal of the campaign IMO.

It showed we could win under pressure while not playing well and I think the players really believed they would do from then on.

Must've been a hammer blow to Chelsea when we did that and followed it with 'Anfield'.

It was the sort of thing that they'd been doing to us before. It's the thing that champions do and we had a champion look about us then.

I remember thinking I'd be delighted if we got 4 points out of those too. Winning at Anfield was such a bonus and I hit the £#%&!ing roof when O'Shea rifled it in from, what, 35 yards?

It felt that good, anyway.

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
But he still wasn't 'quality' for us, correct?
I thought he was a class player and enjoyed watching him play for us. However, using him as a taget man against Arsenal, Liverpool and Lille was a mistake in my opinion.

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I thought he was a class player and enjoyed watching him play for us. However, using him as a taget man against Arsenal, Liverpool and Lille was a mistake in my opinion.
Making room for him instead of an in form Saha was not a good idea IMO. Our results stagnated and our performances worsened on the whole, there is no disputing he was a fine player and his first goal for the club was a beauty in terms of the quality and the expectation it gave us all.
Closed Thread