United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 03-12-2023, 10:59 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
People keep throwing this around as though it’s fact. It isn’t. It’s plausible at best. The club went into a consultation process over Greenwood which at least publicly, suggests that no decision had been made. Even if he was told privately that it was happening, it clearly wasn’t clear cut.

Regardless, the club should have had a more well established striker other than Greenwood next to Hoijlund. Rasmus should have been brought into play in stages - rather than, ‘here you are pal, try your best in the dogs dinner of a set up.’

Buying Mount was ridiculous, and to a lesser extent Onana was too.

I really don't want to get rid of Ten Hag but it’s becoming more about not wanting the upheaval and the players getting away with it again, rather than any confidence I have in him.
Right now the only hope is getting Ratcliffe in ASAP. Getting some people who know what they’re doing, getting rid of a lot of these useless feckers like martial etc and getting back the club to wanting to be the best.
As much as you can say ETH has been a mess this season, most of his players he has signed have been injured (the ones who had a decent season last year atleast) . Casemiro, Eriksen, Martinez .

We have been playing Oles team. It’s not an excuse . But these lot were shit a few years ago they’ll be shit now .

Look how ole spoke about recruitment at United. Look how LVG spoke about recruitment. Both managers wanted a set of players and ended up with another.

Of course some of these players are ones he wanted aswell. Antony looks a bad signing but I still have hope he can improve . But the manager will make bad signings.

If every single one of your signings have to hit and work then it says more of the state of the squad.

He’s already having to replace Eriksen and Casemiro in the summer. Thats two signings we have to replace because of their age etc all the while still got to cover the other positions we already need signings for . It’s an impossible task with the current set up and recruitment

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Right now the only hope is getting Ratcliffe in ASAP. Getting some people who know what they’re doing, getting rid of a lot of these useless feckers like martial etc and getting back the club to wanting to be the best.
As much as you can say ETH has been a mess this season, most of his players he has signed have been injured (the ones who had a decent season last year atleast) . Casemiro, Eriksen, Martinez .

We have been playing Oles team. It’s not an excuse . But these lot were shit a few years ago they’ll be shit now .

Look how ole spoke about recruitment at United. Look how LVG spoke about recruitment. Both managers wanted a set of players and ended up with another.

Of course some of these players are ones he wanted aswell. Antony looks a bad signing but I still have hope he can improve . But the manager will make bad signings.

If every single one of your signings have to hit and work then it says more of the state of the squad.

He’s already having to replace Eriksen and Casemiro in the summer. Thats two signings we have to replace because of their age etc all the while still got to cover the other positions we already need signings for . It’s an impossible task with the current set up and recruitment
EtH hasn't had to work under Woodward. He has Arnold and Murtough who grant him autonomy. The signings are his. He has spent a fortune.

It's not fair to compare him to Ole who had to deal with Woodward.

EtH has had to work under the cloud of the sale but it's still no excuse for the shit we watch.

So many people are happy to excuse EtH and I've no idea why? Is it because he's Dutch and as a footballing nation they have a good reputation? Is it because they like his oddly shaped head and weird infliction when he speaks? Eh?

It's very difficult to point out anything good he has done this season. He's living off last season and is surviving because the club is a mess.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:08 AM
Ethers

I think you’re all giving the club far too much credit. We are run by absolute clowns, as has been shown time and time again. Not sure why anyone finds it difficult to believe that they would have given ETH assurances that Greenwood would be available, and therefore they would only be willing to purchase one forward over the summer, unless maybe Martial was shifted.

Ultimately we’ll never know, but it was certainly an unprecedented situation, and I don’t think it’s fair to pin the blame for our lack of options up front on Ten Hag.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:18 AM
armchair

Led Ferdinand was on with Scholes yesterday covering the game and they think that Bruno is running too much and being out of position because he thinks as captain it's his responsibility to make things happen but what he's actually doing is unbalancing the team and ruining any shape they are supposed to be in. He abandons midfield all the time and then when it doesn't work out everyone is out of position.

There was a few occasions where I was watching where Rashford was at fullback and the fullback was ahead of him. Same with the other side. Just absolute chaos.

Felt sorry for Mainoo with Bruno and McT abandoning midfield completely.

We should sell Rashford, McT asap.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:29 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
EtH hasn't had to work under Woodward. He has Arnold and Murtough who grant him autonomy. The signings are his. He has spent a fortune.

It's not fair to compare him to Ole who had to deal with Woodward.

EtH has had to work under the cloud of the sale but it's still no excuse for the shit we watch.

So many people are happy to excuse EtH and I've no idea why? Is it because he's Dutch and as a footballing nation they have a good reputation? Is it because they like his oddly shaped head and weird infliction when he speaks? Eh?

It's very difficult to point out anything good he has done this season. He's living off last season and is surviving because the club is a mess.
Nope but giving martial 300k a week was Woodwards decision. Same with signing the likes of varane on high wages. His stink is still lingering .

It’s not excusing ETH. He has made mistakes. It’s about getting out of this cycle of every three years letting the same players remain at the club and blame the manager.

Having a poor scouting system in the first place and struggling to shift deadwood. It takes time. A few windows. Let ETH outstay these shit@#%&!s and remove player power

Edit varane may have been Arnold . But even still. Woodwards rot is still here

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:35 AM
pedr0

the fact that ten hag wanted to welcome greenwood back in the squad is not a great defence of him...it's a massive £#%&!ing black mark against him

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:48 AM
Chris Quayd

Is having depending on a player who hadn’t trained with the squad in 18 months really a plan? The squad building has been shocking, another striker would certainly have got more minutes than Mount and an inanimate carbon rod should have got more minutes than Onana

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:58 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Is having depending on a player who hadn’t trained with the squad in 18 months really a plan? The squad building has been shocking, another striker would certainly have got more minutes than Mount and an inanimate carbon rod should have got more minutes than Onana
was screaming this all summer. We need attacking options not a nothing midfielder.

Right on the back of buying a 80m winger that’s doesn’t score or assist and a young striker…

It’s crazy some thought we’d score even that pathetic 58 league goal total from last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Led Ferdinand was on with Scholes yesterday covering the game and they think that Bruno is running too much and being out of position because he thinks as captain it's his responsibility to make things happen but what he's actually doing is unbalancing the team and ruining any shape they are supposed to be in. He abandons midfield all the time and then when it doesn't work out everyone is out of position.
i was saying this last season. He does more damage than good with his charging around.

We can never press because our captain doesn’t let us have a trigger and just run after it.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:59 AM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
the fact that ten hag wanted to welcome greenwood back in the squad is not a great defence of him...it's a massive £#%&!ing black mark against him
you must be one of those weak feminine men marlo talks about

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:37 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
He goes on about patterns of play a lot but when players, especially those he bought, come in and play well, he doesn’t keep them in the team, but puts players into positions they’re not used to instead.

Shaw shouldn’t be starting at centre back. He should be developing a playing relationship with garnacho. He should be developing a playing relationship with Hojlund, he should be getting goal scoring opportunities as a result.

AWB should be starting at right back in a consistent run of games, with Antony ahead of him, so they can develop etc, etc.
it's another example, to me, of his short termism. he's playing players out of position, he's not backing his own signings, he's letting youngsters go out on loan and loaning in dross to fill the squad. money so far has been spent terribly.

last season was a good outcome. it was towards the upper end of our post fergie range, but not spectacular. it was also highly attritional, stodgy football that lets be honest was highly dependent on rashfords form. definitely a results first mentality rather than a display of ETHs principles or a sign of his intent to build something long-term. there is a poster above me, apparently defending ETH, because he already needs to replace two of his midfield signings because they are already too old.

every single person on this forum agrees that we need new ownership, more investment, better governance etc. and that we need to give a manager enough time and patience to rebuild the squad and the broader football culture at the club. let's take all that as read.

the debate is about whether ETH is the right man for that rebuild... i genuinely can't see what others are seeing to suggest that he is.

we look an utter £#%&!ing mess. it's not teething issues with ETH trying to evolve our style of play, it's just more of the same shit but without rashford on fire.

it's all very well to say we should back him blindly for 5 years, but nobody has been given 5 years - Moyes was rightly turfed out after 9 months when it became clear he was not the man for the job.

for me, I'm becoming increasingly worried that ETH is not the man for the job.

Unread 03-12-2023, 01:17 PM
Stickman

The fact Maguire has gone from 5th choice to 1st choice CB and Varane 1st to 5th is laughable.

Unread 03-12-2023, 01:37 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
The fact Maguire has gone from 5th choice to 1st choice CB and Varane 1st to 5th is laughable.
no one's laughing

Unread 03-12-2023, 01:54 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
it's another example, to me, of his short termism. he's playing players out of position, he's not backing his own signings, he's letting youngsters go out on loan and loaning in dross to fill the squad. money so far has been spent terribly.

last season was a good outcome. it was towards the upper end of our post fergie range, but not spectacular. it was also highly attritional, stodgy football that lets be honest was highly dependent on rashfords form. definitely a results first mentality rather than a display of ETHs principles or a sign of his intent to build something long-term. there is a poster above me, apparently defending ETH, because he already needs to replace two of his midfield signings because they are already too old.

every single person on this forum agrees that we need new ownership, more investment, better governance etc. and that we need to give a manager enough time and patience to rebuild the squad and the broader football culture at the club. let's take all that as read.

the debate is about whether ETH is the right man for that rebuild... i genuinely can't see what others are seeing to suggest that he is.

we look an utter £#%&!ing mess. it's not teething issues with ETH trying to evolve our style of play, it's just more of the same shit but without rashford on fire.

it's all very well to say we should back him blindly for 5 years, but nobody has been given 5 years - Moyes was rightly turfed out after 9 months when it became clear he was not the man for the job.

for me, I'm becoming increasingly worried that ETH is not the man for the job.
Have to say I’m coming to the same conclusion, unfortunately

Unread 03-12-2023, 01:59 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
no one's laughing

Unread 03-12-2023, 03:02 PM
My Name is Heath

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
no one's laughing
You don’t have Mrs Browns Boys on in the background perchance

Unread 03-12-2023, 04:23 PM
atticusgrinch

If Erik's plan is to pick shit and out of form players in a mess of a formation, it's going well.

Unread 03-12-2023, 05:40 PM
westcoastvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
And it will tell you why we got such a shit performance.

They’ll blame and sack the manager. In the 3-4 actual seasons needed he will get two.

The manager will have to be replacing players he signed in his first window and have his final window penny pinched by the glazers.

How are we already at having to replace varane casmiro and Eriksen.

God forbid the manager criticise anyone either because that’s not allowed. But god forbid the manager not be too play with the players either and never criticise like ole because that’s not allowed either .

The manager has made mistakes but if you have to start that back you will get results with like we always have. None of them should be playing for a title winning team.

Varane has clearly done something he doesn’t like and if varane cannot commit to games or whatever it is than he shouldn’t be playing .

Sancho , no need to go into it .

The fact the manager had to bring on two loan players yesterday to try to rescue it says enough. Manchester United supplying the manager with many loan players . ( think he’s had about 5-7 in the two years he has been here)

Hojlund is our only CF. Imagine that happening at the other clubs. Having one genuine striker.

Of course the manager has to do better but the players get a free ride. Anyone who has been managing Manchester United for the last 10 years or so will tell you this is the same old cycle . Changing of the manager will do nothing for the long term.

The manager has made mistakes , but if we go down the same old route of picking these feckless players of the manager then we may aswell just make our bed and agree , this is Manchester United now. The two year cycle team
Everyone here knows the ownership and lack of structure in the club (transfers, scouting department) is the main problem.

Ten Hag would probably be successful at a club that says no to Mount & Antony, and assists in picking players that will enhance the squad.

(Though I question his judgment and inexperience in a number of areas)

One may feel that he should be given 3 to 4 years.....but most likely Jim Ratcliffe sees him as the product of Richard Arnold & Murtough...

....it's kind of hard to argue that they had to be fired for incompetence if Ten Hag is a resounding success....so if no top 4....yes most likely gone in 2.

Unread 03-12-2023, 05:42 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvan
Everyone here knows the ownership and lack of structure in the club (transfers, scouting department) is the main problem.

Ten Hag would probably be successful at a club that says no to Mount & Antony, and assists in picking players that will enhance the squad.

One may feel that he should be given 3 to 4 years.....but most likely Jim Ratcliffe sees him as the product of Richard Arnold & Murtough...

....it's kind of hard to argue that they had to be fired for incompetence if Ten Hag is a resounding success....so if no top 4....yes most likely gone in 2.
Apparently Big Jim has been tapping up Ancelotti.

Unread 03-12-2023, 06:36 PM
VanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvan

Do they really? Because I certainly don't.

Top 3 in four of the last six seasons. All under Glazer ownership and this structure.

16 league goals in December. Literally on pace for worst goals scored since the 1974 relegation season. With 4 forwards counting caps for Argentina, Brazil and England plus a £70 million striker in reserve.

We can't score against dross. We can't score or defend against peers. The system is completely & utterly flawed. That is on the tactician, not the ownership.

Unread 03-12-2023, 06:48 PM
RedNick80

Let’s get the next manager in then and start the shitshow from scratch.

It’s like people haven’t been paying attention for the last 5-6 years. You are part of the problem lads, I’m sorry, but there’s no short term fix.

I probably don’t know that much about football, relatively, but reading this thread I genuinely feel like I live in the kingdom of the blind. Quite distressing,