Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:27 PM
dodger

Default Re: veron regrets leaving united

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentino ariza
i don't regret veron leaving united

one more time...he was £#%&!ing awful for us. blame him, the manager, the other players, whoever you want. The fact remains he was shite for us and we were a worse team when he played
Agreed. He was obviously a really good player and the signing looked perfect on paper but it just didn't work. Whatever the reasons were.
It would have been even worse if we'd compounded the error and he'd stayed longer.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Veron was excellent at OT against Arsenal when ending the 49 game run.

He was also injured for the vast majority of the 2nd half of his second season.

Nowhere near as bad as most claim, would have liked to see him stay longer, but having said that, he spent his entire time at Chelsea injured, so we may have dodged a bullet.

Lovely footballer though.
Veron? Impressive in a game where we had to roll our sleeves up, get stuck in and fight for every ball?

Surely not....

Well, no. He was already at Chelsea by then.

Arguably our worst signing ever considering the amount paid for him, re-shaping of the side, playing Scholes out of position...

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Veron? Impressive in a game where we had to roll our sleeves up, get stuck in and fight for every ball?

Surely not....

Well, no. He was already at Chelsea by then.

Arguably our worst signing ever considering the amount paid for him, re-shaping of the side, playing Scholes out of position...
Was he? sorry, not that one, the previous game at OT against Arsenal. He scored the first goal. We had to win too. They were wearing that horrible blue kit, he put his shirt on the corner flag and swung it around. Arsenal were champions at the time. It was a similar performance to the 49 game one. Scholes got the 2nd goal.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Baron

I thought he was excellent in Europe when the game slowed down, but in the league that midfield was not for messing around with. He was used wrongly as well, Fergie's got a penchant for a languid ball playing luxury player & then putting them in the wrong area of the pitch.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentino ariza
oh come on, he is saying genetics!

that is an excuse for being a £#%&!ing @#%&!
I'm merely musing that leaving one country where you're settled to a foreign place where you have no family, friends, don't speak the lingo and probably live in a hotel for a few months are enought to affect anybody in one way shape or other...

You can only perform at a top, top level if you're fully settled.

Would you argue Dennis Bergkamp wasn't class for Arsenal but, if memory serves, he didn't set the world alight in his first season.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Was he? sorry, not that one, the previous game at OT against Arsenal. He scored the first goal. We had to win too. They were wearing that horrible blue kit, he put his shirt on the corner flag and swung it around. Arsenal were champions at the time. It was a similar performance to the 49 game one. Scholes got the 2nd goal.
I knew which game you meant, I don't particularly remember him being outstanding though.

His very good games off the top of my head;

Everton at home...he scored and generally looked superb in the first half.

Juventus away, when we won 3 nil.

Sadly, that is about it.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
I knew which game you meant, I don't particularly remember him being outstanding though.

His very good games off the top of my head;

Everton at home...he scored and generally looked superb in the first half.

Juventus away, when we won 3 nil.

Sadly, that is about it.
Panathaniakos at home (we wore blue) and Leverkusen (a) he played on the right IIRC we was very good. Spurs (a) 2nd half in the 5-3 he was ace.

He was very good for hist first 6 months, tailed off badly. Started the next season well and then got injured.

Nowhere near as bad as most claim.

Losing Andy Cole and reverting to just Ruud up top was the real killer for me.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Panathaniakos at home (we wore blue) and Leverkusen (a) he played on the right IIRC we was very good. Spurs (a) 2nd half in the 5-3 he was ace.

He was very good for hist first 6 months, tailed off badly. Started the next season well and then got injured.

He was.

We'll agree to disagree.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
dodger

Quote:

That was part of the Veron plan though, didn't come off.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:57 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens robotic nob
THAT Derby game did it for most United fans I reckon, a real shame as he was (and is) a quality player.

The system we play now, he would fit in perfectly. A midfield of Carrick, Fletch and a young Veron. Hmmm
Spot on, Veron wanted a team built around him and you need to build a team around a player like that, we signed him at the wrong time.
Same goes for Kleberson

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM
denis lawless

yeah...Veron and Berbatov in the same team...i think ive just shit myself

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
yeah...Veron and Berbatov in the same team...i think ive just shit myself
With a Djemba twin on each wing...

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I remember the Djemba - Butt partnership that occured on a few occasions. Grim.

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:14 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
and Massimo in goal

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
I remember the Djemba - Butt partnership that occured on a few occasions. Grim.
What's happened to Butty anyways? Rumour is he left the Geordies last summer - has he retired now?

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Coracao

Quote:
What's happened to Butty anyways? Rumour is he left the Geordies last summer - has he retired now?
He played quite a few games for them this season.

According to wiki;

Quote:

The club eventually won both promotion to the Premier League and the Championship title, and Butt announced his retirement in the build-up to Newcastle's last home game against Ipswich Town. [10] He entered his penultimate game as a substitute and won a penalty en route to a 2-2 draw. Butt lifted the Championship trophy alongside vice-captain Alan Smith.

After retiring he has been backed by Newcastle boss Chris Hughton to move into coaching, although a coaching position with Newcastle is not something Hughton had spoken with Butt about.[11]

However Butt has been offered a chance to carry on his playing career after being offered a contract at Championship club Preston North End. [12]
Didn't realise he had 'retired' tbh.

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
He played quite a few games for them this season.

According to wiki;

Didn't realise he had 'retired' tbh.
He'd do a job for us TBH...

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Coracao

Quote:
He'd do a job for us TBH...
Indeed, I look forward to our new side next season;

.........................Weaver

Belletti.......Caldwell......Ether............Sylv inho

Argentina........Butt.......Ballack.........Petrov

.......................Cole

........................Benjani

Should be epic.

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Crumps

Shoukd have cashed in on the on the slide Keano, got Gattuso and had Scholes and Veron in the centre.
Still don't like Keano despite what all the top reds that accuse me of being a top red say.

Yours Toppy McCrumpsallRed

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:35 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Shoukd have cashed in on the on the slide Keano, got Gattuso and had Scholes and Veron in the centre.
Still don't like Keano despite what all the top reds that accuse me of being a top red say.

Yours Toppy McCrumpsallRed
I was never really that fussed by him myself tbh. Great player up to 2002. Held United back from that point on, the odd good performance aside, imo.
Closed Thread