United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
carlosartorial

Default Re: Have you noticed that the majority of people who bedeck their houses with England flags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Because I don't want her to be associated with A. The kind of mongs who wear that stuff every four years. B. The knuckle dragging right wing merchants who drape themselves in the flag C. Any kind of nationalistic fervour and overt patriotism.

And why don't I want any that? Because it's at best distasteful and at worst very dangerous.
I agree with all of that to an extent but I'd just let it go, tbh. She'll work all that stuff out for herself in time.

If my lad wants to piss about with England flags and hats and stuff I'll let him, though I pointedly won't buy him any myself or encourage it.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Ginners

Default Re: Have you noticed that the majority of people who bedeck their houses with England flags...

Quote:
Because I don't want her to be associated with A. The kind of mongs who wear that stuff every four years. B. The knuckle dragging right wing merchants who drape themselves in the flag C. Any kind of nationalistic fervour and overt patriotism.

And why don't I want any that? Because it's at best distasteful and at worst very dangerous.
so because racists drape themselves in the flag it means nobody else can associate with it? tbh dodge i dont think anyone would think your daughter was a junior member of the klan just for wearing the headband.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:38 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
so because racists drape themselves in the flag it means nobody else can associate with it? tbh dodge i dont think anyone would think your daughter was a junior member of the klan just for wearing the headband.
Felix might tbh.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
It's the World Cup ffs
Every Nation competing will have flags & scarves flying in their Country this Summer.
What's dangerous about it?

I'm not being funny at all, I just wonder why you would politicise something so trivial.
I didn't politicise it, it was people like this who did:

If you're happy to be associated with that, by any margin, then please go ahead. I make my choice not to.
I'm not in the least bit concerned what happens in other countries, who has what flying or whether it's the £#%&!ing World Ice Skating championships. I don't fly any flags that @#%&!s like the above do.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:42 PM
dodger

Quote:
Totally missing the point ginners. See above.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
...are usually the same riff-raff who go completely over the top with horrendous, tacky Christmas decorations !

If they have a Santa's train on the windowsill, emergency-services blue lights that burn a hole in your retina or a sleigh and rope ladder on the roof, you can practically guarantee there'll be a Sun "bring it home Lads" poster up in the lounge window.

As an Englishman who, quite naturally would like England to do well, it pains me to say it that there's distinct advantages to them being dumped out early and returning with their tails between their legs and bringing this whole forced facade to a prompt end.

I wouldn't mind, but they're not even proper flags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph
Get behind the team I say, and if you want to stick flags all over your house, then why not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
agreed, best to be behind them and then everyone can stab them in the back when it suits them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
i agree with ginners.

what harm is it doing. If it helps raise people's spirits and brings a bit of community spirit and colour to otherwise drab concrete buildings, then great.

Round my way there's loads of different flags, not just england ones.
Quote:
Agreed.

Why are people so uptight about this!? ...it's not the end of the world ffs!
It's only the national flag, people go off as if it's a swastika! ...most of the car flags will be kids asking their Dads to put them up I'd imagine.

remember ;

"stand up if you hate Man U"

"if the Nevilles play for England so can I"

TO BECKHAM "we hope your kids get cancer"

remember the FA insisting on United going to South America for the World Club tournament then slagging us for cheapening the FA cup

remember Brian Barwick

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
I didn't politicise it, it was people like this who did:

If you're happy to be associated with that, by any margin, then please go ahead. I make my choice not to.
I'm not in the least bit concerned wht happens in other countries, who has what flying or whether it's the £#%&!ing World Ice Skating championships. I don't fly any flags that @#%&!s like the above do.
Fair enough, but I think you might be taking it a bit too seriously. I think the vast majority of kids & adults who 'display' their National colours this summer are thinking only about the Football & nothing else.

We might as well all stop watching Football for fear of being associated with 'hooligans'

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I agree with all of that to an extent but I'd just let it go, tbh. She'll work all that stuff out for herself in time.

If my lad wants to piss about with England flags and hats and stuff I'll let him, though I pointedly won't buy him any myself or encourage it.
When she knows enough about the world to make her own mind up then she's welcome to make the choices she wants. Until that time she doesn't walk around in anything the nazi's would approve of.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:51 PM
dodger

Quote:
Fair enough, but I think you might be taking it a bit too seriously. I think the vast majority of kids & adults who 'display' their National colours this summer are thinking only about the Football & nothing else.

You're welcome to think that. I think it's important. And very serious. Apart from anything else it looks £#%&!ing awful.

Quote:
We might as well all stop watching Football for fear of being associated with 'hooligans'
A great many did.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Ginners

Quote:

just a tad.

because a minority of racist idiots use the flag doesnt mean everyone else should be ashamed of it.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:

Dont be ashamed of who you are and where you come from ffs

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
just a tad.

because a minority of racist idiots use the flag doesnt mean everyone else should be ashamed of it.
Never a truer word said. Just because some arses who follows some lower-league dogshit teams decides to go around causing trouble wherever england play, doesn't mean i should be ashamed to show my support for England.

I'm not ashamed to show my support for united and we've got a fair number of £#%&!ing hooligan #@&%!s following us around.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
When she knows enough about the world to make her own mind up then she's welcome to make the choices she wants. Until that time she doesn't walk around in anything the nazi's would approve of.
As I said, I agree with what you personally have decided. I'm not comfortable waving flags about and don't have any love for the St Georges flag and what it has been mis-appropriated for these days - thanks to danbert and co.

However, my lad is 6 and has no comprehension of that. So if he makes England flags in school than fair play to him. They are making all the other countries too and he's really into flags and he's supporting England in the world cup. I'm not particularly, but I think imposing my views on him is weird at such a young age. I'll bore him senseless with shit like that in a few years.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM
no fun

Quote:
just a tad.

but Im ashamed of it because of its colonial history, and because it reminds me of oafs singing about their mythical god saving an unelected billionairess.

we're not all london stupid patriots ginners

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy

why ?

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
dodger

Quote:
just a tad.

I'm not suggesting they should be. I making a personal choice about this. Which is another thing that seems to get dragged along with all this nationisltic crap: If I don't conform I'm spoiling it for everybody else. What the £#%&! is that shit about?

And if you really want to get started we can consider all the things done in the name of that flag that we really can be ashamed of.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
why ?

Because.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM
dodger

Quote:

This is nothing to be ashamed of eh?

no fun

Quote:
Because.
because what ?

and dont say just because

MJ Ramone

Quote:
You're welcome to think that. I think it's important. And very serious. Apart from anything else it looks £#%&!ing awful.
I agree that it looks naff....but supporting your Country at an International Football tournament is hardly Nazi'esque behaviour is it?! ...not really.

Out of interest, would you like to do away with all competitive International sport?
Closed Thread