United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
believe

Default Re: Have you noticed that the majority of people who bedeck their houses with England flags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
i agree with ginners.

what harm is it doing. If it helps raise people's spirits and brings a bit of community spirit and colour to otherwise drab concrete buildings, then great.

Round my way there's loads of different flags, not just england ones.
they're called embassys

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Harri Jaffa

Default Re: Have you noticed that the majority of people who bedeck their houses with England flags...

*** ginners in sensible post shocker ***

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
they're called embassys
No, actually they're called 'embassies'.

But keep at it, you're doing well.

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
they're called embassys
Imperial Tobacco was an English company

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Ginners

Quote:
i agree with ginners.

what harm is it doing. If it helps raise people's spirits and brings a bit of community spirit and colour to otherwise drab concrete buildings, then great.

Round my way there's loads of different flags, not just england ones.
ive spotted a couple of portugal flags near me and one even an irish one which is funny as theyre not involved, but like you say it hides the drab concrete etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
98% of my posts are sensible tbh

(this isnt one on them)

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:09 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
definitely a lot of people with no interest in footy adopting the england flags but tbh theyre doing no harm, everyone just wants to support england which cant be a bad thing.
Agreed.

Why are people so uptight about this!? ...it's not the end of the world ffs!
It's only the national flag, people go off as if it's a swastika! ...most of the car flags will be kids asking their Dads to put them up I'd imagine.

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Where?

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
believe

Quote:
No, actually they're called 'embassies'.

But keep at it, you're doing well.
i thought about that then decided to just post it anyway. you know what i mean though.

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
i thought about that then decided to just post it anyway. you know what i mean though.
Of course I do treacle.

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM
believe

Quote:
Of course I do treacle.
funny story about me and the embassies in kensington but it deserves it's own thread.

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Where?
everywhere mate, look around

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
everywhere mate, look around
Your posts;

Sorry, can't see it.

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Your posts;

Sorry, can't see it.
theres one in there somwhere, trust me

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Agreed.

Why are people so uptight about this!? ...it's not the end of the world ffs!
It's only the national flag, people go off as if it's a swastika! ...most of the car flags will be kids asking their Dads to put them up I'd imagine.
I confiscated my daughters st georges hair band that her gran bought her. £#%&! that shit.

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I confiscated my daughters st georges hair band that her gran bought her. £#%&! that shit.
Why?

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Ginners

Quote:
what an awful dad!

can i have it?

Unread 01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Jingoism, in American usage, a term for the blatant demand for an aggressive foreign policy. The word is probably derived from a music-hall song popularized in England during a crisis with Russia in 1877–1878:

We don't want to fight, but, by jingo, if we do,
We've got the ships, we've got the men and got the money too.

By March 1878 "jingo" was a term of political reproach. In the United States it has been directed toward those who have advocated the annexation of Canada, the seizure of Mexico, expansion in the Caribbean or the Pacific, or a bellicose interpretation of the Monroe Doctrine, or drunk chavs from £#%&!y shire towns lobbing plastic chairs around sun drenched plazas.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Why?
Because I don't want her to be associated with A. The kind of mongs who wear that stuff every four years. B. The knuckle dragging right wing merchants who drape themselves in the flag C. Any kind of nationalistic fervour and overt patriotism.

And why don't I want any that? Because it's at best distasteful and at worst very dangerous.

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:33 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Because I don't want her to be associated with A. The kind of mongs who wear that stuff every four years. B. The knuckle dragging right wing merchants who drape themselves in the flag C. Any kind of nationalistic fervour and overt patriotism.

And why don't I want any that? Because it's at best distasteful and at worst very dangerous.
It's the World Cup ffs
Every Nation competing will have flags & scarves flying in their Country this Summer.
What's dangerous about it?

I'm not being funny at all, I just wonder why you would politicise something so trivial.
Closed Thread