Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Switching Off

Default Re: World Cup Fascinating Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/wor...le-predictions

I'm sure I remember a quote attributed to him where he suggested five or six different teams that would make the quarters
The quarters is his limit now though considering he can't get a semi.

Unread 08-06-2010, 12:38 PM
dunk

Quote:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/wor...le-predictions

I'm sure I remember a quote attributed to him where he suggested five or six different teams that would make the quarters

£#%&!ing hell. Best to stay off Pele's radar and hope he never £#%&!ing mentions you.

Unread 08-06-2010, 12:39 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off

Unread 08-06-2010, 01:03 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
FIFA President Sepp Blatter's wife is called "Fanny"
just nearly spat a sausage out of my nose

Unread 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
The player running in who could easily have £#%&!ing tapped Geoff Hurst's controversial goal over the £#%&!ing line was called Roger Hunt.
I've always wondered about that, you know. At the very least it must surely show that the English players THOUGHT that bastard ball was over the line, and so weren't "cheating" in the way embittered Krauts still like to sneer about

Unread 08-06-2010, 02:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Both Wales (1958) and Norn Iron (1958, 1982) have progressed to the second round of fixtures each time they've qualified, something that Scotland have never done in eight attempts.
Northern Ireland also qualified in 1986, soz Bishi

('twas when Pat Jennings played for them despite not having a club at that point)

Unread 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I've always wondered about that, you know. At the very least it must surely show that the English players THOUGHT that bastard ball was over the line, and so weren't "cheating" in the way embittered Krauts still like to sneer about
But the Germans continued playing and their player running with Hurst cleared it away, so they clearly thought it wasn't over the line. I would think Hurst appealed for a goal because that's what footballers do, even though playing on would be the smart thing.

Unread 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

£#%&!ing hell. Best to stay off Pele's radar and hope he never £#%&!ing mentions you.
nick butt, best midfielder at the world cup, anybody?

Unread 08-06-2010, 03:41 PM
signed dc

Shortly after winning the Golden Boot at the World Cup in 1990, Sicillian Salvatore "Toto" Schillachi went on a pilgrimage to Lourdes in order to try and cure the goal drought which was afflicting his career at club level.

Unread 08-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Switching Off

It's been mentioned on here before but if anyone missed it, Jerome Boateng could play for Germany AGAINST his brother Kevin Prince-Boateng, who plays for Ghana. Now that's a £#%&!ing fact

Unread 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Zorg

Quote:
It's been mentioned on here before but if anyone missed it, Jerome Boateng could play for Germany AGAINST his brother Kevin Prince-Boateng, who plays for Ghana. Now that's a £#%&!ing fact
Wasn't he the one who £#%&!ed up Ballack as well?

Unread 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Wasn't he the one who £#%&!ed up Ballack as well?
And now his brother is next in line for a starting spot

Unread 08-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Wasn't that the game where Ron Atkinson said when they scored "They'll be celebrating that in the trees back home" or words to that effect?
It was at the 1990 World Cup (I think) that Geoff Hurst came out with his worst one. At half-time and sitting alongside Garth Crooks he said England need to be "the in the wood pile".

Although it wasn't naggers he said.

Unread 08-06-2010, 07:33 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
FIFA President Sepp Blatter's wife is called "Fanny"
if only this were true it would be the greatest fact ever.

Quote:

boom!

pele knows £#%&! all about football. i saw a documentary once when he was discussing tactics and basically he said that they should just give him the ball and he would "do this, this, this, goal".

VERY tactically naive

Unread 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
if only this were true it would be the greatest fact ever.

boom!

pele knows £#%&! all about football. i saw a documentary once when he was discussing tactics and basically he said that they should just give him the ball and he would "do this, this, this, goal".

VERY tactically naive

Unread 08-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Switching Off

Barca have the most players at this years world cup with 15.

Unread 09-06-2010, 04:12 PM
signed dc

The fathers of Youri Djorkaeff and Diego Forlan, Jean and Pablo, faced off in the group stage encounter between France and Uruguay in the 1966 FIFA World Cup. Their sons gave the football world a dose of déjà vu when Youri and Diego lined up against each other during the corresponding 2002 battle – 36 years later.

Unread 09-06-2010, 04:26 PM
signed dc

Matthias Sindelar, remembered as the greatest footballer in Austrian history, was asked to play for Germany at the 1938 finals because his country had been annexed by the Nazis. He refused, and a year later he and his girlfriend were found dead in bed, with carbon monoxide poisoning blamed. Some say they were murdered, some they they committed suicide, while others simply blame a defective chimney.
Closed Thread