United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Cream

Default Form

Psychological, physical? Psychophysical?

Should we be patient with our 'form' players - given that they are paid so much and receive the best sports and lifestyle advice available to man*? Or should we berate them for overeating, crashing cars, being weak minded and disrespectful of their loyal fans**?

How is your form? Does your employer make allowances?

*ok
**ok ok

Unread 06-11-2012, 02:24 AM
Grimson

Before anyone says "Form is temporary, class is permanent," let me say: bullshit.

The history of the game is littered with players who never recovered from 'poor form,' no matter how 'classy.' There's a pretty good chance Fernando Torres is going down this road. If not him, then many others. Richard Wright, Denilson, etc. Michael Cox could reel the names off for you. :cox:

Unread 06-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Cream

Valencia is finished then?

Grimson calls it. live and exclusive.

Unread 06-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem
Valencia is finished then?

Grimson calls it. live and exclusive.

No, I just mean that there's no guarantee that a good - even great - player in a bad run of form will get back to his best. Often they do, but sometimes they don't.

Unread 06-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I'd like to add that I think Grimson would be a pretty steady GK in our team
We've got a few other GKs on the forum, younger than me, too; they just tend not to gob on about it as much as I do.

Unread 06-11-2012, 05:51 AM
Stickman

Not forgetting one injury leaves some of the best done for.

Kaka's been out of form 3 years now.

Unread 06-11-2012, 05:53 AM
believe

Form is temporary, class is permanent

Unread 06-11-2012, 05:58 AM
Stickman

On here judgement of form is unconditional.

Unread 06-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Grimson

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Not forgetting one injury leaves some of the best done for.

Kaka's been out of form 3 years now.
Good point.

Cech's another.

Unread 06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
We've got a few other GKs on the forum, younger than me, too; they just tend not to gob on about it as much as I do.
none of them, I repeat NONE of them would look half as resplendent on the team photo though. you're like Barry Gibb to their Robin and Maurice.

Unread 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Zorg

Torres is finished, no doubt about it imo. It's only because they paid fifty million earth pounds for him that he's not been £#%&!ed off to Spurs or somewhere.

Unread 06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Switching Off

Richard Wright world class?

Unread 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
aardvark

What explained form to me was golf. You get a golfer playing great then his swing collapses or his putting goes to shit and for no apparent reason. Tiger is a good example. The guy was invincible and now look at him.

Unread 06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark
What explained form to me was golf. You get a golfer playing great then his swing collapses or his putting goes to shit and for no apparent reason. Tiger is a good example. The guy was invincible and now look at him.
Yup. He's second out of six billion.

Unread 06-11-2012, 01:16 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark
is that not just a case of him declining as he gets older and younger people being as good or better?

Form can also be tied in with circumstance. Torres will come good again and that's £#%&! all to do with form.

Unread 06-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
is that not just a case of him declining as he gets older and younger people being as good or better?

Form can also be tied in with circumstance. Torres will come good again and that's £#%&! all to do with form.
Believe tossing a fat cat among the pigeons there.

Thread killer imo. But in a good way.

Unread 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Richard Wright world class?
Naturally. citeh don't sign any old rubbish, just ask that smuk @#%&!.

Unread 06-11-2012, 02:06 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
we've seen rogiepop in his keeper's uniform. not working.

Unread 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Harri Jaffa

Form is about confidence and confidence to try something quickly.

Remember Ruud was having a bit of a weird spell (probably hadn't scored for like 5 minutes or something...) We were playing some CL group game and he wasn't playing particularly well then he got a bit of a fluke goal literally of his arse or something and he almost instantly a different player.

I think if you are feeling confident then you make decisions more quickly. It can be that ability to make a decision quickly that can be the difference between it coming off.

Torres is a perfect example - 4 years ago you'd bet money he'd score 9/10 1 on 1s with the keeper. Now his confidence is shot, he waits that tiny second longer to make up his mind and the opportunity and his form is gone.

Unread 06-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Cream

Remember reading a sports neurology book that included a chapter on the YIPS in golf.

Anything that interrupts the signal flying though your neural pathways will cause a drop in performance.

Thinking about Valencia's madly wayward shot at goal the other day. Or any player that can't hit the goal when taking a penalty.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Michael-.../dp/0716730014
Closed Thread