United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music

Unread 15-01-2021, 01:06 PM
sweetleftfoot

Default The Fred Record Thread

Following on from the record player thread, there seemed to be some interest in record collecting from a few. Feel free to stick up pics of your oldies, goldies, newies, inherited LPs, rare 'uns etc. Maybe your best finds in charity shops, 2nd hand shops and junk shops?

Lets try and keep this a good positive thread in bad times. PLEASE no slagging off peoples records or musical tastes. Different is good, conformity is the jailor of freedom and all that. If you don't like someone elses, put one of your own up. Couple of pics, couple of sentences and a video of a key track..?

My first is a new release record from a year or so ago that has really grown on me. Richard Dawson is an acquired taste, but the music and lyrics on 2020 are very of the times for miserable old trots like me. Grim in places, but I'm a sucker for a 'story song' so...

One of them really annoying sticker stuck to shrink wrap album covers

Unread 15-01-2021, 01:11 PM
elhombre

Do i want a vinyl player?

Unread 15-01-2021, 01:31 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
Do i want a vinyl player?
It's addictive & expensive... so probably. Yes.

Waiting on a limited edition red vinyl copy of Father John Misty's Fear Fun to come through the door at the moment. Have I Love You, Honeybear on clear vinyl already

Unread 15-01-2021, 01:45 PM
Switching Off

Troublegum reissue arrived yesterday, sounds wonderful. Therapy? were as big as anybody in metal in 1994, the world was at their feet. Of course, they *****ed it all on cocaine, made a bizarre (yet brilliant) follow up that did nothing, fell out, and now play for 800 people on tours once a year, and live off their royalties and gigs. Perfect if you ask me.

Troublegum was incredible though. Got their signed Greatest Hits around the beginning of lockdown and unsigned versions are going for £60 now.

Mogwai's Mr Beast reissue is lovely too.

Unread 15-01-2021, 01:47 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
It's addictive & expensive... so probably. Yes.

Waiting on a limited edition red vinyl copy of Father John Misty's Fear Fun to come through the door at the moment. Have I Love You, Honeybear on clear vinyl already
I bought his Gods Favourite Customer on Sub Pop a few years back. It has a cool pretend promo label and inner.

Unread 15-01-2021, 01:56 PM
no fun

Good thread....but will find it hard not to slag someone off if certain artistes are featured ( not falling for any obvious wums)

Canít do pictures, but I only own 4 pieces of vinyl that I held onto after the great purge of 1993

First 3 sex pistols singles
Original spiral scratch - buzzc**ks

Unread 15-01-2021, 02:15 PM
Jethro

Made £300 over Christmas selling original copies of Loveless and Siamese Dream. I don't mind cashing in on records I never listen to.

Unread 15-01-2021, 02:22 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Made £300 over Christmas selling original copies of Loveless and Siamese Dream. I don't mind cashing in on records I never listen to.
Bought a Loveless boot at Grey n Pink in December, had it on this morning, sounds good enough.

Need me some more Pumpkins. Think an original Mellon Collie is the best.

Unread 15-01-2021, 02:23 PM
Cream

Would get one for jazz and classical but Iíve lost so much interest in music. Same with books.

Bloody Alexa doesnít help.

Unread 15-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Jethro

Don't think I own anything considered rare. Most I've ever spent on an LP was £150 but it felt justified at the time. Obviously got a repress a few years later