Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-11-2008, 12:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

Default Wes is out of tomorrows game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/7697254.stm

Celtic v Man Utd
Uefa Champions League, Group E
Venue: Celtic Park Date: Wednesday 5 November Kick-off: 1945 GMT Coverage: Live on Sky Sports 2, live text commentary on BBC Website, plus video of 5 Live Final Score (UK only)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester United defender Wes Brown is unlikely to face Celtic in their Champions League Group E on Wednesday because of an ankle injury.

Brown missed United's last two games and was not at training on Tuesday.

Gary Neville or Rafael Da Silva will deputise at right-back, while midfielders Owen Hargreaves and Paul Scholes remain long-term absentees.

Celtic, beaten 3-0 at Old Trafford in October, need a win to maintain their hopes of reaching the knockout stages.

Another win for United would send them into the last 16 with two games to spare if Aab Aalborg fail to beat Villarreal and a draw would also be enough if the Spaniards win.

Gordon Strachan's team will need to improve dramatically on their performance at Old Trafford, when two goals from Dimitar Berbatov and one from Wayne Rooney swept the Premier League champions to an emphatic victory.

Celtic have lost only one of their last 11 home Champions League games but they are yet to score in three matches this season and United are yet to concede.

However, the Scottish side can take heart from seeing Hull score three goals in a 4-3 Premier League defeat on Saturday.

And Strachan also said people should not read too much into his side's defeat at Old Trafford.

"We didn't play as well as would have liked but Man United are probably the best team in the world," he said.

"Everyone who goes there, who has spent more money than us, has got a right tonking there. We got beat 3-0 but two of the goals were offside so it's not as bad as people have been making out."

Unread 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Stickman

Its going to be Rafael then surely.

Neville will be kept aside for getting torn at the Emirates (hope im wrong) ((about him getting torn if he does start))(((£#%&! you)))

Unread 04-11-2008, 02:52 PM
antonin jablonsky

Neville's about to be offered a new contract :-

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Harri Jaffa

Wouldn't be confident of either of those 2 starting.

What about Johnny Evans at Right back, with Evra given more free reign to attack?

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:28 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa

What about Johnny Evans at Right back, with Evra given more free reign to attack?
Can't see it, he's left footed for a start.

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Coracao

Quote:

Is Evans not left footed?

We have enough options to cope.

Neville.
Rafael.
O'Bese
Fletcher.

You'd have to think Neville will start on Satdee, I don't see a great problem with that. Not like he will have Walcott running at him, i'm not even sure who they have played left side this season...

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Harri Jaffa

Doesn't the right footed McGeady play on the left for Celtic?

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
The Return of JC

I see Owen Hargreaves is now described as a 'long term absentee' despite nobody officially giving the word about his expected absence time.

It's just assumed he's out now, isn't it. Wow, that's pretty damn injured.

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I see Owen Hargreaves is now described as a 'long term absentee' despite nobody officially giving the word about his expected absence time.

It's just assumed he's out now, isn't it. Wow, that's pretty damn injured.
He's having an op intee? Out for 6 months.

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:47 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Doesn't the right footed McGeady play on the left for Celtic?
Not sure we should base our back four on how a shit Scotch team play a bandy legged and shite winger?

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:52 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
He's having an op intee? Out for 6 months.
According to the Daily Mail. Haven't heard anything else.

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Manchester

Quote:
Can't see it, he's left footed for a start.
He isn't, Jonny Evans is right footed.

That's like saying Irwin was left footed, just because he played at leftback for us.

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
According to the Daily Mail. Haven't heard anything else.
No and that aint exactly reliable.

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
He isn't, Jonny Evans is right footed.

Ah, i genuinely thought he was right footed as he pays left centreback and leftback.

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:56 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Not sure we should base our back four on how a shit Scotch team play a bandy legged and shite winger?
McGeady is one of their few players who could actually hurt us.

For all Rafael's potential and natural ability, he does scare me a little. He just races out of position and struggles with the pace of the game, at times. He's goes flying into tackles too. As impressive as he was going forward in Aalborg, I think he may have been sent off had he stayed on much longer. To be expected from a kid, but it doesn't disguise it as a weakness.

However, I can't see Gary Neville playing three games in a week (why didn't Rafael start in a home game against Hull), and Saturday is more important. So in goes Rafa.

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
No and that aint exactly reliable.
My guess is that surgery is imminent, hence the silence from the club, but we haven't heard anything officially.

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:58 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
McGeady is one of their few players who could actually hurt us.

I think he's shite, not quick enough or strong enough. Shame wes isn't fit as a genuinely good Wesing would cause him to dissapear.

Unread 04-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Whalefish

Rafael's an 18 year old kid. His defensive skills and positional play isn't going to improve notably by playing for the stiffs. He's got raw talent, if Neville's going to be rested play him. The lad's fearless and is an attacking full back. The sort of full back I - and I hope others - want to see at Utd. Embrace it.

Want a defensive full back a la Heinze, sling it turtles.

Unread 04-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Rafael's an 18 year old kid. His defensive skills and positional play isn't going to improve notably by playing for the stiffs. He's got raw talent, if Neville's going to be rested play him. The lad's fearless and is an attacking full back. The sort of full back I - and I hope others - want to see at Utd. Embrace it.

Want a defensive full back a la Heinze, sling it turtles.
He really does need to learn to stay on his feet though, otherwise he could be walking every other week

Unread 04-11-2008, 04:15 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
I think he's shite, not quick enough or strong enough. Shame wes isn't fit as a genuinely good Wesing would cause him to dissapear.
Opinions and all that. I think he's useful and if Rafa was playing then I'd think that was an area where Celtic may get a bit of joy. It's all relative, ofcourse, but most of those Celtic players aren't fit the grace a relegation hit Premier League side.
I am genuinely shocked that their home record is as good as it is. I can't believe respected clubs in Europe crumble because of a crowd. They're all used to playing big crowds and intense atmospheres and yet they just fold, time and time again.
When we went there two years ago, I was totally convinced we wouldn't let it bother us and we'd win. We didn't let us bother us...but we gifted them the game and lost. Inevitably, the praise for the Celtic crowd was out in full force afterwards. £#%&!in' coincidence. Nothing more.

It irritates the hell out of me (yes, irrationally so.). I take great pleasure in teams beating Celtic at their place (Barca last year good example. @#%&!ted them.) and if we overcome that crowd then we will batter them. The fact that I can't be sure of that first bit totally baffles me.
Closed Thread