Unread 20-03-2023, 12:00 AM
GBMUFC2020

Kept us in the game today, well played David

Unread 20-03-2023, 12:36 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
BIG save at 1-0 👍
He does at least one pretty much every game.

His distribution is poor sometimes but the thread is still waiting for one half decent suggestion for his replacement.

Unread 20-03-2023, 08:00 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
He does at least one pretty much every game.

His distribution is poor sometimes but the thread is still waiting for one half decent suggestion for his replacement.
Yep… never forget Fergies gratitude when we all went out and found Schmeichel for him

Unread 20-03-2023, 07:45 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
Yep… never forget Fergies gratitude when we all went out and found Schmeichel for him
Don’t think this place was up and running back then tbf.

Unread 20-03-2023, 09:03 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
I think it’s reasonable for the people that have imagined Erik’s determination to get rid of de Gea also imagine who his replacement could be.

The point being the difference between the best in the prem and de Gea isn’t as great as people would like it to be and there doesn’t seem to be an example of a stand out choice who’s demonstrably better at everything than de Gea and is gettable.

So complaining about him *all the £#%&!ing time* is not only a bit misplaced, but is also eye wateringly futile.

Unread 20-03-2023, 11:32 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Don’t think this place was up and running back then tbf.
We is a bigger word than it looks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
I think it’s reasonable for the people that have imagined Erik’s determination to get rid of de Gea also imagine who his replacement could be.

The point being the difference between the best in the prem and de Gea isn’t as great as people would like it to be and there doesn’t seem to be an example of a stand out choice who’s demonstrably better at everything than de Gea and is gettable.

So complaining about him *all the £#%&!ing time* is not only a bit misplaced, but is also eye wateringly futile.
Christ so we shouldn’t have complained about Leighton (considered a top keeper at the time) cause all the other top keepers were signed up?

The point is post Leighton, after Les steadied things, it was as if Fergie pulled the Great Dane out of his arse, no one had heard of him. Why do we need to have a ready made replacement lined up on here?

Having an Edwin wasting at a selling club happens very few times

Erik will have got this.

Unread 20-03-2023, 11:56 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
We is a bigger word than it looks mate

Christ so we shouldn’t have complained about Leighton (considered a top keeper at the time) cause all the other top keepers were signed up?

The point is post Leighton, after Les steadied things, it was as if Fergie pulled the Great Dane out of his arse, no one had heard of him. Why do we need to have a ready made replacement lined up on here?

Having an Edwin wasting at a selling club happens very few times

Erik will have got this.
Erik will have got this? You mean by offering de Gea a contract extension (2 years plus) rather than take the 1 year option that currently exists?

I’d put money on that’s what will happen. He’ll still be United’s number 1 for 3 more years is my guess. So do keep that anti de Gea water torture coming.

And I think the reason he’ll get a 3 year deal is because he’s not materially worse than the best in the prem and there isn’t an obvious materially better obtainable alternative elsewhere.

Don’t get the Leighton comparison. Leighton was a reasonably regarded keeper in the Scottish league which was shit then as it is now. Sealy was a weggers style stand in who was bobbins but just didn’t shrink. Both were shit tbh.

Unread 21-03-2023, 12:41 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
Erik will have got this? You mean by offering de Gea a contract extension (2 years plus) rather than take the 1 year option that currently exists?

I’d put money on that’s what will happen. He’ll still be United’s number 1 for 3 more years is my guess. So do keep that anti de Gea water torture coming.

And I think the reason he’ll get a 3 year deal is because he’s not materially worse than the best in the prem and there isn’t an obvious materially better obtainable alternative elsewhere.

Don’t get the Leighton comparison. Leighton was a reasonably regarded keeper in the Scottish league which was shit then as it is now. Sealy was a weggers style stand in who was bobbins but just didn’t shrink. Both were shit tbh.
You don’t get the Leighton comparison because there isn’t a direct one. It’s a comparison of the scenario we are in … and where had the forum existed back then, We would have been told we couldn’t bin Leighton off because there were no known ready made replacements available. What did we know.

3 years my arse. Hope they don’t fax it to him if the case.

Like I said, couple of worldies yesterday along with shitting himself glued to his line again for that first half ball across the six yard line. For every worldly we seem to get 10 mins of head tennis around the six yard box while he cowers in the background too. That’s the £#%&!ing water torture. 3 years more of that distribution? If he gets 3 years more there’s got to be a Dave quilt or two in Qatar.

Unread 21-03-2023, 01:00 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
I can't think of one. De Gea's brilliant. He might not be great with his passing but he is with his saving. People rave about the city goalie because he's "good with his feet". He's a bang-average goalie though. If there's a better option than Dave, I hope ETH knows who he is and signs him.

Unread 21-03-2023, 02:28 AM
Stickman

Quote:

It was better then tbh. You had Aberdeen winning a Wuropean trophy with Leighton in goal and Dunee United in the European Cup semi the following year. Leighton was considered a top keeper despite flopping with United.

Unread 21-03-2023, 09:45 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
It was better then tbh. You had Aberdeen winning a Wuropean trophy with Leighton in goal and Dunee United in the European Cup semi the following year. Leighton was considered a top keeper despite flopping with United.

Unread 21-03-2023, 10:13 AM
shenwen

Quote:

Yet there’s some on here - one in particular - who say he is a bottom half PL keeper. Would love to see the list of 10 keepers who are better than him.

Of course he can be frustrating as £#%&! but imo he messes up much less than most other keepers in the league, and saves more than them as well.

Unread 21-03-2023, 10:18 AM
20LEgend1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
but imo he messes up much less than most other keepers in the league, and saves more than them as well.
I know it's your opinion but according to the Premier League website's stats for this season:

13th in save percentage, 9th most saves, joint 3rd most mistakes leading to goals (1 ) of all keepers in the league.

Unread 21-03-2023, 10:29 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
I know it's your opinion but according to the Premier League website's stats for this season:

13th in save percentage, 9th most saves, joint 3rd most mistakes leading to goals (1 ) of all keepers in the league.
Be very interesting to see what Erik does. If his failings are so obvious and so deserving of the constant criticism he gets on here then he’ll be out of the door pdq no doubt?

Can’t imagine Erik’s going to put up with such a shit keeper tbh.

Unread 21-03-2023, 10:33 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999

As you know, lots of reasons for those stats and very few linked to a keeper’s overall quality. For example, more shots on target, more chances to make saves.

Unread 21-03-2023, 11:14 AM
Stickman

Quote:
£#%&!

Unread 21-03-2023, 11:22 AM
Ethers

De Gea is having a very poor season statistically, it’s not even up for debate.

There’s some great stats and tables on here. Fail to see where De Gea looks like a top keeper on any metric other than clean sheets

His goals prevented, £#%&! me

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ng-goalkeepers
Closed Thread