United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-04-2008, 05:18 PM
rubbernecker

Default Blatter's 6+5 plan.Which 5 Johhny Foreigners to keep ?

Blatter steps up player veto plan

Blatter is still keen to implement his 6+5 ruling

Fifa president Sepp Blatter is pressing on with plans to limit the number of foreign players at clubs, despite Uefa and European Union disapproval.

Blatter wants to enforce a rule that would stop clubs fielding more than five non-nationals in a starting XI.

The EU insists the plan violates laws on free movement of labour and could lead to widespread legal action.

But Blatter wants national associations to make a "gentlemen's agreement" at Fifa's annual conference in May.

To change the rule, the Swiss would need 75% of the 208 member associations to vote in favour of his proposal at the congress in Sydney.

"Blatter doesn't want a war with Uefa or to anger the EU but this is a point of principle for him," said one FIFA official.

606: DEBATE
Should quotas be allowed?

"When he became president he made a promise on this and he sees this as a major legacy of his time in office.

"He believes he can get a gentleman's agreement with all the national associations."

Uefa president Michel Platini is against Blatter's proposal and refused to accompany him to the EU headquarters last week to push forward the plan's merits.

Therefore Blatter cancelled his visit to Brussels but an EU official stated: "As far as the EU is concerned, Blatter is flogging a dead horse and any discussion would have been pointless."

Uefa favours setting a quota for the number of locally trained players at clubs, which removes the emphasis on nationality, but Fifa says that plan does not go far enough.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7352401.stm

My five Johhny Foreigners to keep would be

Ronaldo
Anderson
Vidic
Evra
Nani

Unread 17-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Spiffy

It's illegal. The EU wont change their laws for Blatter.

Unread 17-04-2008, 05:23 PM
rubbernecker

So was the war in Iraq and the Bae slush fund

Unread 17-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Couldn't they just say 10 players (more reasonable number) in the match day squad have to be 'home grown'? They aren't stopping clubs from employing foreign players just restricting the number being used on match days.

Unread 17-04-2008, 05:28 PM
fix up look SHARPE

surely it would only be against labour laws if it limited the number of foreigners clubs could employ. we could have as many we like on our books, just not start them all.

foster
brown - rio - vidic - evra
ronaldo - carrick - scholes - nani
tevez - rooney

Unread 17-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Ed Sullivan

Cracking idea.

Will piss off all the right people

Get them out! Send them back!

Unread 17-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Sparky***

Quick! The English teams are starting to dominate in Europe again! Doooooo Somethiiiing!!

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:02 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
It sort of is, and sort of isn't.

As said above, it's not limiting employment, just usage. It could be argued that it's restriction of trade, but there's a rule in the SPL whereby clubs must name a certain amount of players under 21, and there's import rules in other sports in Europe, most notably ice hockey.

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:08 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899
Quick! The English teams are starting to dominate in Europe again! Doooooo Somethiiiing!!

English teams certainly but hardly English

French Arse XI

Spanish Dippers FC

Shed Afrika Bambattaa FC

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
English teams certainly but hardly English

French Arse XI

Spanish Dippers FC

Shed Afrika Bambattaa FC
That's what I'm getting at. It's obvious that UEFA hate English football in general. Our league is far stronger than serie a or la liga, so they have to act. To have our teams dominating every year would be intolerable for them. They have obviously noticed that our teams have a lot of foreigners, as they all want to play here - and we can pay them the most. So, they have to force us to use 6 english players in our first team all the time - thus lowering the quality.

What happens if 4-5 of your english players get injured? What then? That would seriously £#%&! up your whole season.

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:16 PM
dodger

Quote:

Could very well be.

I say breakaway. £#%&! Fifa. In the arse.

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:17 PM
borsuk

we'll have to get them all dodgy passports like the spanish and italian clubs do

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:19 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
What happens if 4-5 of your english players get injured? What then? That would seriously £#%&! up your whole season.

Thus has it always been

The reason this has a certain appeal to me has nothing to do with xenophobia but more to do with giving the youth a chance.

Ask yourself how many youth players get a chance at OT these days never mind the others?

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
we'll have to get them all dodgy passports like the spanish and italian clubs do
EXACTLY.

That's the shit i'm talking about. In the end, we'd be the only ones paying the £#%&!ing price. The Italian and Spanish clubs would be able to find clever little bypasses round the rules. They'd be fielding teams full of top players in the champions league where we'd have to field some mediocre shite to meet a quota.

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Thus has it always been

The reason this has a certain appeal to me has nothing to do with xenophobia but more to do with giving the youth a chance.

Ask yourself how many youth players get a chance at OT these days never mind the others?
Because the bar of quality has been raised. If they are good enough, they'll come through.

In my mind, you'll just end up lowering the quality. It will no longer be about how good a player you are but if you've got the right kind of passport.

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Spiffy

If you resrict someone's employment on the basis of race or nationality, it is illegal. If this comes into force, we would be able to say "Sorry, we'd sign you if you are English, but you're not" it would give English people an unfair advantage over other EU nationals and that's against EU law. Why would we pay someone £100K per week to sit on the bench? We wouldn't.

We may have broken laws before but not for sports, they will come down hard and rightly so. Imagine if we'd signed Batty instead of Keane, £#%&!ing ridiculous.

I'll bet a million pounds within 24 hours the EU issue a statement telling him to keep him big fat gob shut (or words to that effect).

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
If you resrict someone's employment on the basis of race or nationality, it is illegal. If this comes into force, we would be able to say "Sorry, we'd sign you if you are English, but you're not" it would give English people an unfair advantage over other EU nationals and that's against EU law. Why would we pay someone £100K per week to sit on the bench? We wouldn't.

We may have broken laws before but not for sports, they will come down hard and rightly so. Imagine if we'd signed Batty instead of Keane, £#%&!ing ridiculous.

I'll bet a million pounds within 24 hours the EU issue a statement telling him to keep him big fat gob shut (or words to that effect).

In the same way the 3 foreigner rule was outlawed in the bosman case. This is just a 5 foreigner rule.

Unread 17-04-2008, 06:55 PM
koppas

Never going to happen so no point in arguing the toss.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

This quotas idea is not even vaguely illegal as far as I can see. What the £#%&! is illegal about it ffs?

Every competition in professional football is bound by the laws of the game and entry is by invitation only.

On top of that simple point, by the looks of it players would still be free to sign for any club that wanted them.

To me this looks like a fast track to saving professional football in many ways. If a club like Manchester United can't bring through - or buy in - a dozen English footballers of the required quality then they'd want tom be investing the money necessary so that they can.

On the other hand, if the quality did suffer then the TV and day-tripper spectacle would be reduced and Sky might just £#%&! off in the end - or at least drastically reassess the price they are able to pay in line with their tumbling subscriptions fresh from the wages of their band of largely braindead addicted cretins.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:21 PM
revanoz

You might lower the quality in the short run but the argument is in the long term, our homegrown talent will improve because top clubs will have to invest in youth and give youngsters a chance. How many times on here have people moaned about one of our youth players not getting a fair crack of the whip because we can buy someone in from abroad?

I think the point about La Liga and Serie A is unfair. Yes the Argetinians etc seem to suddenly produce a great Spanish/Italian grandad to get an EU passport but you don't see a huge influx of average foreigners playing like you do here.

I don't care about the chances of the national team but I think some sort of quota can eventually be beneficial to us.
Closed Thread