United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music

Unread 17-03-2022, 08:58 AM
Switching Off

Thumbs up

Mysterines arrived yesterday, confident debut, catchy as anything.

Pearl Jam Greatest Hits reissue across 4 records arriving tomorrow. First released around 2004 I think so only covers up to then.

Got my only missing Deftones album coming from the states too

Ordered the Seatbelts one off Bandcamp. Scouse c***s but they're ok. Only 300 copies available, might be worth a bit in future if they make it.

https://wearseatbelts.bandcamp.com/m...en-lp-12-vinyl

Unread 17-03-2022, 10:31 AM
Baron

Parcels - Day/Night

&

Avalanches - We Will Always Love you (limited edition deluxe)

If anyone hasn't listened to the Parcels album, I cannot recommend it enough. Posted the opener in the What are you listening to thread.

Unread 17-03-2022, 10:47 AM
sweetleftfoot

Got the Neil Young - Carnegie Hall 1970 2LP set yesterday. I really like his archives stuff, lovely sound to this.

Unread 28-03-2022, 03:16 PM
Switching Off

Been to Tasty in Alty. Best non city centre shop in the NW imho. Could have bought dozens.

Unread 09-04-2022, 07:18 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron

Got that, Mezzanine & Pet Sounds. Glorious.
2017 pressing? It's probably the best sounding record in my collection.

Fear Inoculum arrived yesterday. Insane boxset with 5 single sided records, a song or two on each. Its unbelievable and sounds incredible.

Unread 29-04-2022, 09:01 PM
sweetleftfoot

Got the John Murry RSD pressing of Graceless Age tonight, to go with the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio Live in Loveland LP I got in the week.

Anyone snag anything good? Apart from Taylor Swift and Sam Fender there seems to be a lot of stuff available online still...

Unread 29-04-2022, 10:25 PM
Switching Off

Got the Attack of the Grey Lantern picture disc, and the Betty Harris.

Think next drop looks slightly better.

Unread 30-04-2022, 09:29 AM
Switching Off

Entroducing half speed master, £22.49 on Amazon for anybody who hasnt got it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0979SMV...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Unread 07-05-2022, 11:49 AM
Switching Off

Reissue of Fast Stories from Kid Coma by Truly now available

https://www.munsterama.com/pedidook....=TDX79L23VEAGY

Quote:
The Encyclopedia of Popular Music called the album "a hard-hitting, insistent record that occasionally overreached in its attempts to distance itself from its contemporaries."[3] Trouser Press wrote: "Heavy but never bludgeoning, melodic but never cheesy, excessive but never ridiculous, Fast Stories is an extended trip into several of rock’s outer dimensions."[7] Loudwire ranked the album at twenty-sixth in their list of "The 30 Best Grunge Albums of All Time."[8] Kerrang! wrote that Fast Stories...from Kid Coma "remains a genuinely vital album, and quite possibly the [grunge] genre’s swan song."[9] Louder Sound named the album in their list of "10 obscure but absolutely essential grunge albums."[10] MTV called it "the great psychedelic hard rock rush of the year."

Unread 26-05-2022, 09:20 PM
Baron

My literal new favourite thing in the world.

Unread 26-05-2022, 09:38 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:

That's a beautiful thing indeed.

Ordered the new Porridge Radio lp today after hearing a song on 6music. Cool story.

Unread 26-05-2022, 10:14 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
That's a beautiful thing indeed.

Ordered the new Porridge Radio lp today after hearing a song on 6music. Cool story.
What’s your set-up?

Currently running a basic Pro-next Carbon D.C. deck through a phono to a Sonos 5 but that was for the requirements of the old house & small front room.

Am now moved and have a hankering for a proper system… Kef LS50 Meta’s on stands and a Bluesound Powernode for streaming, not sure what else is required but I’m shifting to something I can listen to for a decade and be blown away each time.

Unread 26-05-2022, 11:00 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
What’s your set-up?

Currently running a basic Pro-next Carbon D.C. deck through a phono to a Sonos 5 but that was for the requirements of the old house & small front room.

Am now moved and have a hankering for a proper system… Kef LS50 Meta’s on stands and a Bluesound Powernode for streaming, not sure what else is required but I’m shifting to something I can listen to for a decade and be blown away each time.
post a pic when you get them.

Unread 26-05-2022, 11:34 PM
Jethro

Quote:

Wonderful

Unread 27-05-2022, 05:46 AM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
What’s your set-up?

Wow, nothing like that!

I have a pair of Audio Technica LP120's through a Yamaha AS500 with Mission monitors in my music room. I use a pair of old Wharfdale Top Rank vintage speakers for a great bottom end in there. Plus they look cool and were cheap.

In the house I have a ProJect Debut II through a vintage Sony solid state amp TA1010 and a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers. Sounds really nice to be fair, but I would love some really decent floor standing speakers for this.

I've got Rolls Royce taste but Kia finances.

Unread 27-05-2022, 08:27 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
Wow, nothing like that!

I have a pair of Audio Technica LP120's through a Yamaha AS500 with Mission monitors in my music room. I use a pair of old Wharfdale Top Rank vintage speakers for a great bottom end in there. Plus they look cool and were cheap.

In the house I have a ProJect Debut II through a vintage Sony solid state amp TA1010 and a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers. Sounds really nice to be fair, but I would love some really decent floor standing speakers for this.

I've got Rolls Royce taste but Kia finances.

At least you've a got f***ing music room Sounds like a great set-up to disappear to though

Very jealous. Just dividing the front room into one where we can point the furniture at the TV & the other side to be for music is as good as it'll get for a bit, but it should look great - probably take a year to pull our finger out and do it as we want. A mate makes amazing furniture & I'm hoping to get a whole raft of things made including a custom record bin to sit alongside the deck on a media unit.

Unread 27-05-2022, 08:45 AM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:

At least you've a got f***ing music room Sounds like a great set-up to disappear to though

Very jealous. Just dividing the front room into one where we can point the furniture at the TV & the other side to be for music is as good as it'll get for a bit, but it should look great - probably take a year to pull our finger out and do it as we want. A mate makes amazing furniture & I'm hoping to get a whole raft of things made including a custom record bin to sit alongside the deck on a media unit.
Music room is giving it side tbh, its a converted garage but its been converted properly and the sound in there is really decent. I've just decided to change it up and ordered the 6ft x 6ft Kallax for the back wall. All my records are currently in cupboards, and its time to display them. Also means I can turn it up when I want to.

We've done the same with our living space, the front bit is the lounge with TV, big couches etc, and the garden end has the doors out and the turntable with a couple of wingback reading chairs. Ideal for just putting something on quietly and kicking back. Spend more time there than on the couches.

My problem is my hearing. Done a bit of DJing, and lots of gigs etc, and am losing my hearing. Suffer from tinnitus in my left ear too, so spending too much on hifi isn't worth it. I do upgrade my carts and styli to Ortofon though, more for lightness of use on the records than sound though nowadays.

Unread 26-07-2022, 08:36 AM
sweetleftfoot

Bought a few recently. Inspired by the wonderful vinyl reissue of New Adventures In Hifi, I've been filling in the gaps of my REM collection. Managed to pick up a nice original of Reckoning, and just waiting for Document to arrive. I did have a copy of Document previously, but someone "borrowed" it. Thats all REM up to NAIH, which is enough for me as the quality dips after that and the prices go right up. Will await the inevitable reissues for Up, Accelerate etc.

Bought the Prince and The Revolution 3LP live set as it was on offer at Amazon and I'm a bit of a fanboy, and its splendid. Sounds amazing, the band was right at its peak here. All the Purple Rain stuff, some early singles and B sides and a crowd that is bang up for it. Genius doesn't do the fella justice.

Other bits include the new Peaness LP - local band to me, seen them a few times, great power girl pop group; Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band Dear Scott, managed to get the signed Blood Records issue, best scouser alive today is Mick Head; bought the latest Khruangbin LP Mordechai after seeing them on Glastonbury, I'd have loved this in my pot and acid days...; bought the reissued Melyn LP by Adwaith. Love me a bit of recordiau Cymraeg, and these are loud. Their new LP is due next month. Finally picked up a copy of Doolittle at a record fair on Saturday, to replace the CD I bought when I was a little lad. An utter classic.

Unread 20-08-2022, 09:42 AM
FraUtd

Not to everyones taste but Royksopp are packaging up Profound Mysteries I, II & III as a box set for Nov 18th, when III is released
https://store.royksopp.com/collectio...s-vinyl-boxset

Been really enjoying I & II
Pleasant surprise after they announced no more albums years ago

Unread 20-09-2022, 05:38 PM
Switching Off

ERC are doing Workin' by Miles Davis.

They do a couple or three releases a year, usually classical or jazz, sourced from the original master tapes. They're super limited and very expensive.

Basically a premium product for your high end record collector (looking at you here Baron). Sound quality is supposed to be impeccable, and they can resell for big bucks.