United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 31-08-2019, 08:38 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by saayfooty
He has to for the sake of the system. He is solid enough to play.

I think people are overstating his 'slowness' when in possession, he shouldn't even get on the ball that much. He will just be a bouncing board.

In a 4 3 3, the key players will be the CMs. The CBs need to find them if we are being pressed high up the pitch. Matic is there purely to provide cover on the transition and allow Pogba to be higher up the pitch when he receives the ball.

When he plays deep he is trying to do two roles at once. The Scottish Player isn't good enough to dictate play and get forward and make something happen.

Pogba plays better in a 3 and Matic is the best DM we have.
He isn't. Got caught on the ball and gave it away or passed it negatively when he came on. Was exposed in preseason by the Norwegian side and Milan. He's a liability, hence he isn't playing.

Unread 31-08-2019, 08:41 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He isn't. Got caught on the ball and gave it away or passed it negatively when he came on. Was exposed in preseason by the Norwegian side and Milan. He's a liability, hence he isn't playing.
Hate to say it but we had better structure to our play once he came on
Yes he’s slow and a very average passer but he knows the positions to take up to receive the ball

The Scottish Player isn’t a DM and doesn’t know the positions to take up to receive the ball
Like against Wolves in the 2nd half he hid when he should have been making an angle for the player on the ball

Unread 31-08-2019, 08:42 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Yes he’s slow and a very average passer but he knows the positions to take up to receive the ball

The Scottish Player isn’t a DM and doesn’t know the positions to take up to receive the ball
Like against Wolves in the 2nd half he hid when he should have been making an angle for the ball
Agree.

Needs must at the moment I think.

Unread 31-08-2019, 08:43 PM
dunk

Quote:

Like against Wolves in the 2nd half he hid when he should have been making an angle for the player on the ball
Matic is one of the worst for hiding, or, when he does show for the ball, takes 4 touches then passes it back to a CB, or straight to the opposition, if he doesn't get caught on it. He's gone completely, and wasn't that good to begin with.

Agreed that The Scottish Player isn't a DM though.

Unread 31-08-2019, 08:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Matic is one of the worst for hiding, or, when he does show for the ball, takes 4 touches then passes it back to a CB, or straight to the opposition, if he doesn't get caught on it. He's gone completely, and wasn't that good to begin with.

Agreed that The Scottish Player isn't a DM though.
Ziggy is right though. Matic still has a bit of know how. I don't like criticising The Scottish Player because I like his attitude but he's probably a worse DM than Matic and it's hard to actually see him ever being the required standard. Overall it's a shocking choice but I'd probably favour Matic.

Unread 31-08-2019, 08:53 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Ziggy is right though. Matic still has a bit of know how. I don't like criticising The Scottish Player because I like his attitude but he's probably a worse DM than Matic and it's hard to actually see him ever being the required standard. Overall it's a shocking choice but I'd probably favour Matic.
Not buying any sort of midfielder in the summer is tantamount to neglect tbph. Pereira, Matic and it would seem Fred have no £#%&!ing business being at United, which leaves a trying very hard The Scottish Player and quite massively over-burdened and expectation-ed Pogba. It's horrendous.

Still would be reluctant to play Matic

Unread 31-08-2019, 08:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Not buying any sort of midfielder in the summer is tantamount to neglect tbph. Pereira, Matic and it would seem Fred have no £#%&!ing business being at United, which leaves a trying very hard The Scottish Player and quite massively over-burdened and expectation-ed Pogba. It's horrendous.

Still would be reluctant to play Matic
Yeah. I can understand patience with the forward line but given we need about three midfielders I expected at least one this summer.

Unread 31-08-2019, 09:23 PM
saayfooty

Quote:
What do you classify as a negative pass because his role is to retain the ball, not try and do a defence splitting pass?

When he goes back to the centre backs, they should be playing the ball through the lines to the centre mids or wingers.

That position needs a bounce board. Someone who retains the ball, serves as an outball however the players around him must find the foward pass if we are to insist on playing out of the back.

Quote:

Exactly.

I wouldn't start The Scottish Player, at all. Coz we are short in CM, he can make the bench but his contribution is nil. He is not United standard.

Unread 31-08-2019, 09:35 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by saayfooty
What do you classify as a negative pass because his role is to retain the ball, not try and do a defence splitting pass?

When he goes back to the centre backs, they should be playing the ball through the lines to the centre mids or wingers.

That position needs a bounce board. Someone who retains the ball, serves as an outball however the players around him must find the foward pass if we are to insist on playing out of the back.

Exactly.

I wouldn't start The Scottish Player, at all. Coz we are short in CM, he can make the bench but his contribution is nil. He is not United standard.
He can't do that pal. That's the point. Have you not been watching for his 2 years here?

The Scottish Player is twice the player Matic is at this point.

Unread 31-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
What about our steady decline?
Might be worth analysing that decline. Because I’m pretty sure it wasn’t down to the club or manager having a clear long term plan as ole does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
United can concede goals as " easily" as those penalties could have been scored
Well, no.

Quote:
Wait till man city , the scousers and tottenham play against us. Its almost as if youre blinded to see that we have to get bettee ten fold against opposition that is already 100 times better than the last 3 teams we have played
Like chelsea? Our problem this season will not be playing against those teams. It will be teams sitting back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
imagine in Liverpool let Ian rush rebuild their team
Or Liverpool hiring the Huddersfield manager, or paisley/fagan/dalglish after him.

Quote:
he disposed of a few players but their still no identity to the side or obvious style to our play.
4 games in. Quite disgraceful really.

Unread 31-08-2019, 10:52 PM
jem

Quote:
Change the formation and play pogba further forward and hope their arses dont fall off
this is so obvious that everyone is saying it.

of course, it would help if we had bought some £#%&!ing midfielders. we have far too many sort-of-attacking-midfielders-that-aren't-wingers and then we have old matic and no young matics.

on the other hand.... timmeh!

Unread 31-08-2019, 11:16 PM
My Name is Heath

Am I the only one impressed by saayfooty?

Seems to know his onions!!!

It's cleare we are in transition and we have to trust OGS as to how much he wants to throw youngsters in.

Personally - I'd be happy coming 8th this season if it meant we bedded in a settled back 5 and we kept deshit@#%&!ifying our team.

We need to start fixing pieces in the front 6.

James and Pogba are nailed on.

I'm happy to let Greenwood come through on the right but not overdo him.

Really worried about Rashers if I'm honest.

Perhaps Martial should be our main #9 ?

When the £#%&! are we on MOTD???

Still waiting.

In midfield, I think I agree with the above - we need to take the heat off Pogba creatively, would a Kante style midfielder do it or would a Garner/Madison quality passer be the answer? McTomineh has something to offer too.

Actually can't we just buy Chilwell, Madison and Vardy too?

Therefore, to summarise, it's late and I'm rambling but let's be patient and a couple of good signings in Jan/next summer and we can really get our mojo back.

Peace usos.

Unread 01-09-2019, 12:08 AM
Jack Duckworth

been out all day and cba reading the thread.

can someone give me a quick synopsis of the game?

Unread 01-09-2019, 12:12 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
been out all day and cba reading the thread.

can someone give me a quick synopsis of the game?
Wolves game all over again tbh

We looked good at time on the first half but failed to kill the game off

Dan James was good and his goal was a cracker

Lindelöf beaten in the air again for their goal

Decent away point but could and probably should have been three.

Unread 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM
believe

Can’t believe Chongy didn’t get a run out yesterday, what does he have to do?

Unread 01-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Whiteside onside

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
what do ole’s side usually play like?
we are letting someone who has never managed a challenging team in a respectable league rebuild our team ...
imagine in Liverpool let Ian rush rebuild their team

he disposed of a few players but their still no identity to the side or obvious style to our play.
He said we weren’t fit enough and even now after the his preseason we aren’t playing with any kind of intensity. His substitutions have been
...and more worringly he sees Perriera and co doing flicks and tricks in training and actually thinks this group of players is good enough

Pogba does this in the match and constantly loses the ball too.

Unread 01-09-2019, 09:49 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Can’t believe Chongy didn’t get a run out yesterday, what does he have to do?
be stronger and quicker, stay on his feet, beat a man, pass, shoot.

Unread 01-09-2019, 10:47 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
be stronger and quicker, stay on his feet, beat a man, pass, shoot.

Unread 01-09-2019, 12:18 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
The most pathetic thing I’ve seen defo paid his tv licence for a year

Nice of marlo to pop up has Samir released you from his blood bank

Unread 01-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Jack Duckworth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Wolves game all over again tbh

We looked good at time on the first half but failed to kill the game off

Dan James was good and his goal was a cracker

Lindelöf beaten in the air again for their goal

Decent away point but could and probably should have been three.
cheers pal