United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Gaming
Closed Thread

Unread 16-03-2009, 08:41 AM
dunk

Question Local Area Networks, Connecting 2 PC's for gaming purposes...

How is this done?

Can you wire directly to each other?

Can it be done through a router? If 2 PC's are connected via a router, do you have to 'map' them to each other somehow?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Unread 16-03-2009, 09:02 AM
red red robbo

You can wire them directly but you need a different type of network cable. It has to have a couple of the wires swapped over.

The best way is to use a hub or router. A router will give you automatic IP address allocation etc and is the better bet but a hub (dumb network connection box) is cheaper.

Unread 16-03-2009, 09:06 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
You can wire them directly but you need a different type of network cable. It has to have a couple of the wires swapped over.

The best way is to use a hub or router. A router will give you automatic IP address allocation etc and is the better bet but a hub (dumb network connection box) is cheaper.
Cheers mate.

If they are connected through a router, should they be able to see each other?

I currently have a laptop and a desktop connected into a router, but I can't see either with the other, is there some way of 'introducing' them to each other?

Unread 16-03-2009, 09:08 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Cheers mate.

If they are connected through a router, should they be able to see each other?

I currently have a laptop and a desktop connected into a router, but I can't see either with the other, is there some way of 'introducing' them to each other?
You probably have to enable sharing on both and you may have issues with your firewall. You will probably need to lower the security level on the local network on both PCs.

Unread 16-03-2009, 09:10 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
You probably have to enable sharing on both and you may have issues with your firewall. You will probably need to lower the security level on the local network on both PCs.
f***ing hell, I didn't think of that

Thanks again.
Closed Thread