United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 15-11-2023, 07:08 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Slightly different angle but we went to a Wimbledon game mid 90’s in fancy dress. One of lads missus was due that week and she’d begged him not to go and he said she’d be fine and he’d be back. We went on the train and had had been drinking for about six hours when he got a phone call saying she’d gone in to labour. He managed to convince a taxi driver to take him for 200 quid and when got to the hospital in Warrington he was still steaming and dressed as Noddy and they wouldn’t let him in to the maternity ward. Caused a scene and got arrested and missed the birth of his child.
Worth it

Unread 15-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Jethro

Home to Southampton in 1990 for my 7th birthday. Remember sharing a bag of eclairs with some kid at the bottom of the paddock and Dennis Irwin slamming into the railings.

Lads first game was Brighton at home this season He's 6 and loved every second up until it became too toxic.

Unread 15-11-2023, 09:46 AM
dinger

Villa around Xmas time I was 15 was a crap draw, Bruce penalty 1-1

My sons first game was Moyes first (?) league game v Chelsea another draw & he's seen some absolute muck played in the years since. Think he resents me seeing the Fergie years

Unread 15-11-2023, 10:00 AM
Denis Irwell

As previously mentioned in “loyalty” thread.. don’t even remember my first game. Take them in nappies nqat. Best bond you can have with the old fella. Sat on his shoulders in a full house.. (prawn sandwich mob wouldn’t know) then with your mates who finally catch up at 15 yo… but then even better your prime/youthful years.

Unread 15-11-2023, 11:29 AM
est.1878

Quote:
He managed to convince a taxi driver to take him for 200 quid and when got to the hospital in Warrington he was still steaming and dressed as Noddy and they wouldn’t let him in to the maternity ward. Caused a scene and got arrested and missed the birth of his child.

Unread 15-11-2023, 11:51 AM
Spock

Around 7 or 8 i guess, Tommy doc days...still my favourite side

Took my daughter around the same age, she enjoyed it but no clue what was happening no interest in football whatsoever these days (think she feels the same tbh)

Unread 15-11-2023, 11:58 AM
guerreiro

First one I can remember (may have been before) I was 6 vs Wolves. Robbo signed on the pitch. Won 5-0, Mcllroy Hatrick.

Very lucid memory of getting told to shut it, after constantly singing ‘fiiiivvvee nniiil, fiivvee niiill’ in the car on the way home.

Unread 15-11-2023, 03:05 PM
doudou

Six years old as well. 5-0 against Newcastle in 1984. On the stretty with my dad, mum and 2 brothers. at the final whistle the gates opened and there were thousands of Geordies up for a fight. It must have been terrifying for my parents, with three kids aged between 3 and 8 My mum took us to the toilets to hide. Needless to say I was hooked.

My boy's three now, clearly not ready yet.

Unread 15-11-2023, 03:08 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Six years old as well. 5-0 against Newcastle in 1984. On the stretty with my dad, mum and 2 brothers. at the final whistle the gates opened and there were thousands of Geordies up for a fight. It must have been terrifying for my parents, with three kids aged between 3 and 8 My mum took us to the toilets to hide. Needless to say I was hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjEvnOtrOhQ

My boy's three now, clearly not ready yet.
Thought that only came popular in recent years

Unread 15-11-2023, 03:11 PM
est.1878

Something about Martin Edwards enjoying retirmemt and signing up on here.

Unread 15-11-2023, 04:05 PM
Chris Quayd

First match I can remember going to was at Wembley on a primary school trip to see England under 15's, would have been around 8. Earliest childhood memories of OT were going to the old superstore on birthdays and trying to supermarket sweep as much gear as possible before getting to the til and mum telling me I could have a beanie hat and a magazine

Unread 15-11-2023, 11:57 PM
Medlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
cousin took his 10 year old to a similar away, got worse for wear and phoned his mrs. Probably wasn't a good idea to ask how said son had got on at school that day....

Quote:
slightly different angle but we went to a wimbledon game mid 90’s in fancy dress. One of lads missus was due that week and she’d begged him not to go and he said she’d be fine and he’d be back. We went on the train and had had been drinking for about six hours when he got a phone call saying she’d gone in to labour. He managed to convince a taxi driver to take him for 200 quid and when got to the hospital in warrington he was still steaming and dressed as noddy and they wouldn’t let him in to the maternity ward. Caused a scene and got arrested and missed the birth of his child.

First match was vs Liverpool in around 84. Dad left me sat on the fence at the front of the stretty with a can of coke (I'd never had one before). At half time he came to find me and explained there were goal posts ay our end too, which I hadn't noticed. I remember loving the swearing. Ended up pissing myself in the corridor outside my nana's flat in Eccles. She has dementia by then and had barricaded the door with half her furniture. So that might have been too young.

Unread 16-11-2023, 02:00 AM
Denis Irwell

First few, I don’t remember but the first one I do, was against Everton. 63. They were champions and we just won the cup. They’d just beaten us 4-0 at Goodison the Charity Shield. Amazing atmosphere. Big Everton following and a few in the Stret. We had a little Scottish lad called Ian Moir on the right wing cos we’d just sold Giles to Leeds (big mistake) he played an absolute blinder and murdered their lb, Meagan but oddly, faded away. Maybe a little Belfast lad had something to do with that.

5-1.
Denis(2)
Chisnall(2)
Sadler.

Ended up runners up to the dips but champs the year after.

Unread 16-11-2023, 01:30 PM
92ToBury

August 1986 v West Ham, lost 3:2. The final weeks of Big Ron, no Robbo probably didn't help.

Unread 18-11-2023, 10:22 AM
HarkNowHear

Pre European Cup 68 means 5 years and less. Old fella had a season ticket forever in B stand. He'd take us thru on 1 clicknof the turnstile. I'd stand between or sit on his knee till ko time and there wascalways an empty seat. 1st game I attended I must gave been very young , Rochdale v Coventry, no idea why .

Took my lad to his first, aged 5. Ipswich home, Kiwomya and Irwin in a 1 all draw.