United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-07-2023, 02:46 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
They needed the manager telling them that in late-July?

Unread 28-07-2023, 02:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
Ten Hag was told we need to spend more? that has to be the wrong way round surely?

They did this last year, panic in the last weeks of the season because it was clearly everyone else had spent and were striving to improve while we’d done nothing. Suddenly they loosen the purse strings (credit card) and pay miles more for players that they should’ve got cheaper and earlier, and still ended up not doing enough. At least it’s a bit earlier this time

Unread 28-07-2023, 02:53 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Have we anyone that can take a consistently dangerous corner or set-piece yet?
I think Mount has been consistent for Chelsea over the last few years from dead balls:

Quote:
His set-piece delivery will be another bonus, having provided 13 assists from dead-ball situations in the past five seasons — only four players in the Premier League have since supplied more.

Unread 28-07-2023, 02:56 PM
dunk

Quote:
Nice

We’ll soon coach that/dishearten him to the point he thinks what’s the point, out of him.

Unread 28-07-2023, 04:17 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
I think Mount has been consistent for Chelsea over the last few years from dead balls:
mount's corners are high arc shite. plus, we don't have anyone to get on the end of his rainbows. soz.

Unread 28-07-2023, 06:38 PM
Medlock

Still can't get my head around not going for Kane ffs.

Unread 28-07-2023, 07:21 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
Still can't get my head around not going for Kane ffs.
We probably did, he must be way off limits whatever those limits are....

Don't think we'd miss making a call if he is available...

Unread 28-07-2023, 09:11 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
mount's corners are high arc shite. plus, we don't have anyone to get on the end of his rainbows. soz.
I just posted stats not a commendation. I’ll let him play for us for a bit and see what he can do in a season. At least they don’t hit the first man. Maybe the rest can show some appetite and get on the end of them.

Unread 29-07-2023, 05:42 AM
westcoastvan

Relative to other clubs (Outside of Arsenal who spent big) it has been a decent transfer window.

The club is still on a shoe string for strikers, (Rasmus is young) (Marital is always injured) (Greenwood is controversial)

I'd like to see some players sold to bring in Amrabat as...

There is no back up for Casemiro who is getting long in the tooth. If he gets injured...

Unread 29-07-2023, 08:35 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Maybe the rest can show some appetite and get on the end of them.
you're a dreamer. I like that.

Unread 29-07-2023, 09:44 AM
NedKelly

Not really. As much as people give marlo shit I think he’s right in saying we need two strikers. We’ll probably only get one.

I’m very happy with the defence and I accept the midfield. I still don’t rate Mount but hope he proves me wrong. We desperately need a striker though. Im dreading another season where we set up plenty of chances but lack anyone up top to consistently put them away. It was painful viewing at times last season.

Unread 29-07-2023, 09:46 AM
Stickman

Yep, we absolutely do need 2 strikers. We currently have zero.

Unread 29-07-2023, 09:53 AM
est.1878

Vividly remember the night before moscow CL final people discussing our squad not being good enough.

Unread 29-07-2023, 09:54 AM
Parlabane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Not really. As much as people give marlo shit I think he’s right in saying we need two strikers. We’ll probably only get one.

I’m very happy with the defence and I accept the midfield. I still don’t rate Mount but hope he proves me wrong. We desperately need a striker though. Im dreading another season where we set up plenty of chances but lack anyone up top to consistently put them away. It was painful viewing at times last season.
Yep the foundations are there especially if we sign Amrabat - now we have to put the finishing ( literally ) touches to it

Think we will be difficult to beat but can’t see us scoring loads of goals - quite a few games will become close with just the odd goal
In it -

A couple of strikers change the whole situation just hope the club have another player in mind along with the Danish kid - Kane is a non starter in reality

Unread 29-07-2023, 09:55 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Vividly remember the night before moscow CL final people discussing our squad not being good enough.
Most just wanted us to keep improving, if memory serves.

Unread 29-07-2023, 10:08 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Midfield deffo needed an upgrade and Saha needed replacing.. we had Wes Brown at RB with Neville looking £#%&!ed too..

Unread 29-07-2023, 10:47 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Yep, we absolutely do need 2 strikers. We currently have zero.
yep but apparently it doesn't matter that order you sign the players in.

currently 2 weeks away from the start of the season and we dont even have striker in when we needed 2. and the striker we are putting all our chips on is a 20 year old striker thats trip to Manchester for his medical will be the 2nd time he has traveled as a footballer.

funny enough we still need to sign amrabat. starting 11 when we sign him would put mount on the bench. but apparantly he was a waste of money.

Unread 29-07-2023, 10:52 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
yep but apparently it doesn't matter that order you sign the players in.

currently 2 weeks away from the start of the season and we dont even have striker in when we needed 2. and the striker we are putting all our chips on is a 20 year old striker thats trip to Manchester for his medical will be the 2nd time he has traveled as a footballer.

funny enough we still need to sign amrabat. starting 11 when we sign him would put mount on the bench. but apparantly he was a waste of money.
We don't need to sign Amrabat, we will if Fred/The Scottish Player leave. He won't go into the starting 11. There isn't a starting 11, there's a squad of players that can be utilised to meet different requirements at different times.

It doesn't matter what order you sign the players in, as long as you get them. Most transfers in the window happen in the last month as everyone is playing brinksmanship, lining up replacements and trying to maximise fees.

The 20 year old striker we are signing will be the second most expensive striker we've ever signed. I'm sure they'll be looking for/working on another, or Greenwood will be back

Unread 29-07-2023, 10:55 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Midfield deffo needed an upgrade and Saha needed replacing.. we had Wes Brown at RB with Neville looking £#%&!ed too..
Some things never change

Not sure we ever did replace Saha. Maybe with Van Persie.

Unread 29-07-2023, 11:02 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Some things never change

Not sure we ever did replace Saha. Maybe with Van Persie.
That was when the frugality kicked in. The previous summer splurge on Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson and Tevez was the last time we behaved properly in the market under Gill (someone competent) from that point on we were firmly into austerity.

Hargreaves was £#%&!ed and played about 3 more games after that season, Saha similar, Neville was out for about a year came back, was shit, then retired. Wes never hit the heights at RB and Rafael was chucked in..
Closed Thread