United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:25 PM
silv

Default are you happy with our squad?

if we only added Mount, Onana and Rasjmus would you consider it a successful window? what would we challenge for?

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:27 PM
dunk

Bare minimum imo, but in this situation you’re not getting much more.

Top 4 scrap imo. Can’t say on the cups as it would depend on the draws and circumstances at the time of the games.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:36 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Bare minimum imo, but in this situation you’re not getting much more.

Top 4 scrap imo. Can’t say on the cups as it would depend on the draws and circumstances at the time of the games.
It helps not playing on Thursdays - our squad will be good if we get that striker and Amrabat

Newcastle will struggle for top 4 this season seeing as they have 6 Champions League games then the Europa from February.
Liverpool are a funny one - lots of experience has gone, maybe they'll struggle for top 4 again?

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:38 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
if we only added Mount, Onana and Rasjmus would you consider it a successful window? what would we challenge for?
Top 4 and maybe a cup.

We're so far from winning the league we'd have to spend half a billion in one window to bridge that gap, so it's not happening.

There's several things i want to see from United this season.

1. Be more cohesive in attack and show we've got ideas beyond just 'give it to Rashford and hope he beats 3 players from wide'. Deliver quality balls into the box, link up play etc. Tell Antony and Garnacho they are allowed to pass the ball to team mates in better positions and not just as a last resort.

2. Stop being so absolutely piss-easy to play through. Saw it far too often last season, we turn the ball over and within 3-4 passes the opposition are having a shot on our goal. We need to be far more difficult to play against in general.

3. Go away to teams in the top half of the table and not concede shit loads of goals and get rolled over. Show some nous and don't implode the minute we concede a goal. 3 times last season we went away and conceded 4+ goals in one half of football. That can't happen again.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:40 PM
Dr Stranger

I’m happy with how the window is going, but it’s too early to judge. Plenty to come and go yet imo.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:40 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Add a starting striker by August and will be in the title race headed into Christmas.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:42 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
The biggest gaps were in goal, Eriksen's weak aorta and striker, which are covered.

Cover for Casemiro and an older striker would be a lot better obv.

It's about as good as we can expect considering the £#%&!ers who own the club.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:43 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Top 4 and maybe a cup.

We're so far from winning the league we'd have to spend half a billion in one window to bridge that gap, so it's not happening.

There's several things i want to see from United this season.

1. Be more cohesive in attack and show we've got ideas beyond just 'give it to Rashford and hope he beats 3 players from wide'. Deliver quality balls into the box, link up play etc. Tell Antony and Garnacho they are allowed to pass the ball to team mates in better positions and not just as a last resort.

2. Stop being so absolutely piss-easy to play through. Saw it far too often last season, we turn the ball over and within 3-4 passes the opposition are having a shot on our goal. We need to be far more difficult to play against in general.

3. Go away to teams in the top half of the table and not concede shit loads of goals and get rolled over. Show some nous and don't implode the minute we concede a goal. 3 times last season we went away and conceded 4+ goals in one half of football. That can't happen again.
3. Is the biggest issue of last season. Alarming, unacceptable and resulted in the most embarrassing single result in living memory.

Hard to know how much of that is Ten Hag or stench of shit@#%&! mentality. But as you say, can’t be allowed to happen again.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:44 PM
My Name is Heath

The absolute bare minimum

Pray our injuries are minimal

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
3. Is the biggest issue of last season. Alarming, unacceptable and resulted in the most embarrassing single result in living memory.

Hard to know how much of that is Ten Hag or stench of shit@#%&! mentality. But as you say, can’t be allowed to happen again.
I think that’s where upgrading on Fred and McT is so important. Eriksen killed us away from home at times, and neither of those 2 were capable of replacing him or improving the issue defensively without nullifying our attempts to go forward/keep possession.

I forgot Sabitzer btw, Mount is also a replacement for him.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:48 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
It helps not playing on Thursdays - our squad will be good if we get that striker and Amrabat

Newcastle will struggle for top 4 this season seeing as they have 6 Champions League games then the Europa from February.
Liverpool are a funny one - lots of experience has gone, maybe they'll struggle for top 4 again?

Given the current ownership situation, you'd have to be relatively happy with this.

The petroclubs/chelsea will continue to spend well above their means and get away with it of course so you just have to try and keep up with them as a best case scenario.

The positives will always be outweight by the huge, fat, american negative hanging around our necks. We could get away with it in the fergie days where only Chelsea really had mad money, but now there's 3 clubs with unlimited spending, plus Arsenal who have (despite being trophyless) bought relatively well, plus liverpool.

Then there's the clubs that are run superbly despite having a smaller amount of cash (brighton, brentford)

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:48 PM
ZiggyStardust

Assuming we also sign Hojlund and Amrabat as well as Onana and Mount while selling the likes of Fred, The Scottish Player and Henderson then yes I think we'd have had a very good window especially considering we're still in ownership limbo

We're also adding Mainoo to the midfield options in our squad this season so I think we'll be well covered in that area of the pitch

The concern is up front
Rashford will get over 20 goals for sure as he's done that 3 out of the last 4 seasons but Antony needs to take a big step forward this season contribute more goals and assists (as does Sancho)
Also need more goals from the likes Bruno and Mount in the attacking midfield roles
Who knows how well Hojlund will do in his first season but we need Martial to stay fit and contribute in his final season at the club

I think we'll be more consistent home and away this season as Onana will allow us to control games in a way we couldn't before

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:50 PM
Stickman

I’d be happy with Amrabat, Rasmus and Kane coming in before the window closes.

Even if we sign Rasmus we need more firepower as you know, Sancho and Antony…

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:51 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I think that’s where upgrading on Fred and McT is so important. Eriksen killed us away from home at times, and neither of those 2 were capable of replacing him or improving the issue defensively without nullifying our attempts to go forward/keep possession.
Indeed. Amrabat would be a big signing for us if we can pull it off. It gives us more solidity away from home. Eriksen still very useful in games where the opposition just sit back.

McFred have their qualities, but you’re forever masking their deficiencies.

A midfield set

Casemiro
Amrabat
Mount
Bruno
Eriksen
Mainoo

Gives us a wide range of options for different situations.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I’d be happy with Amrabat, Rasmus and Kane coming in before the window closes.
Get those 3 and you’re expecting a title charge tbh.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:54 PM
suedeshoes

Define "happy".

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:55 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Indeed. Amrabat would be a big signing for us if we can pull it off. It gives us more solidity away from home. Eriksen still very useful in games where the opposition just sit back.

McFred have their qualities, but you’re forever masking their deficiencies.

A midfield set

Casemiro
Amrabat
Mount
Bruno
Eriksen
Mainoo

Gives us a wide range of options for different situations.
It would still be a player light, for me, but we’ve got to be a bit pragmatic as it’s clear the owners won’t be twisting this summer and providing the investment needed to meet FFP and make the jump. It’s why I can’t get too amped at Hojlund being the only real striker target.

Sparky***

Quote:
Get those 3 and you’re expecting a title charge tbh.
Kane, for me, would be the difference between fighting for top 4 and fighting for a title. He's that good.

But we won't sign him because we're not shopping in that top section of the transfer market any more, thanks to our glorious owners running the club into the ground over the last 10 years.

Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Define "happy".
happy
adjective
adjective: happy; comparative adjective: happier; superlative adjective: happiest; suffix: -happy

feeling or showing pleasure or contentment.
"Melissa came in looking happy and excited"
h
Similar:
contented

content
cheerful
cheery
merry
joyful
jovial
jolly
joking
jocular
gleeful
carefree
untroubled
delighted
smiling
beaming
grinning
glowing
satisfied
gratified
buoyant
radiant
sunny
blithe
joyous
beatific
blessed
#@&%!-a-hoop
in good spirits
in high spirits
in a good mood
light-hearted
good-humoured
thrilled
exuberant
elated
exhilarated
ecstatic
blissful
euphoric
overjoyed
exultant
rapturous
rapt
enraptured
in seventh heaven
on cloud nine
over the moon
walking on air
beside oneself with joy
jumping for joy
chirpy
on top of the world
as happy as a sandboy
tickled pink
tickled to death
gassed
like a dog with two tails
as pleased as Punch
on a high
blissed out
sent
chuffed
as happy as Larry
made up
as happy as a clam
wrapped
gay
blithesome
jocose
jocund
h
Opposite:
sad

used in greetings.
"happy birthday!"

having a sense of trust and confidence in (a person, arrangement, or situation).
"he was not happy about the proposals"

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:59 PM
suedeshoes

I'm none of those.
Closed Thread