United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-12-2010, 06:46 PM
MagnificentSeven

Default it's official - manchester is red

linked to me by redandwhiteandblack the other week

quite an interesting insight. a lot of the city of manchester is blue but then most of the metropolitan area is red, which is why berties (and other sad ABU @#%&!s who are geographically inept) claim that manchester is blue. end of the day though, what is manchester really? that small sliver of land between tameside and salford, or the sprawling metropolis that links cheshire with lancashire and has produced so much over the years?

i wonder if these same people claim that arsenal, spurs, chelsea, etc aren't london teams, because none of them play in the city of london

one thing though, m40 is blue? moston, miles platting, newton heath etc are, along with salford, united's hotbed. since when was there more berties than reds round those parts? strange.

it'd be good to have another survey like this, i reckon the number of divs in certain parts will have increased what with all them "proper fans" coming out of the woodwork now they're a decent side

Unread 30-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Bunker Buster

Default Re: it's official - manchester is red

This has been around for years now hasnt it mate....

i'm sure it would be different nowadays...

ive tried to find that pic for a while though.

Cheers.

It deffo isnt as West and East as that....

Unread 30-12-2010, 06:50 PM
£#%&! KFC

where's the green and gold bit

Unread 30-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
What colours EH 1-17 mate?

Unread 30-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Double

Unread 30-12-2010, 06:54 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
This has been around for years now hasnt it mate....

i'm sure it would be different nowadays...

ive tried to find that pic for a while though.

Cheers.

It deffo isnt as West and East as that....
it's from about 2001 so it's quite old, although to me it still seems pretty spot on in general, apart from a few things like m40 having more of them than us which even the divs will admit seems wrong

although i'd agree that numbers will have changed over the years, citeh having more part time fans coming out of the woodwork, and a number of our support going to fc

Unread 30-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Mancunian Red

For me the most convincing proof is my own experience IU'd say its 70 30 in favour of United.

But if anyone wanted research to support it. Check out the attendances since 1945 - City haven't beaten us once even when we were in the old second division over a season,

And certainly in the 40s 50s 60s and 70s there wasn't much support from all over the country to watch United.

Today we have a vast support from all over the country and world due to our success but that wouldn't reduce United's home support!

Unread 30-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
although i'd agree that numbers will have changed over the years, citeh having more part time fans coming out of the woodwork, and a number of our support going to fc
Woodwork and I'd think they have picked up about 10-15,000 'new fans'

i truly believe they have got a fair few have only started attending recently..

Seeing more and more of them.

dirty @#%&!s.

They all still look like Divs though, easily spotted and avoided.

Unread 30-12-2010, 06:58 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian Red
For me the most convincing proof is my own experience IU'd say its 70 30 in favour of United.

But if anyone wanted research to support it. Check out the attendances since 1945 - City haven't beaten us once even when we were in the old second division over a season,

And certainly in the 40s 50s 60s and 70s there wasn't much support from all over the country to watch United.

Today we have a vast support from all over the country and world due to our success but that wouldn't reduce United's home support!
most of our support isn't from the manchester area - but that's just a result of being a succesful team and if city had our history they wouldn't be known as the "proper mancunian club" by these know-nothing ABUs, because they too would have their local support outnumbered by nationwide and international fans

i always hear local accents whenever i go to OT though, we still have a very very strong local following, especially in places like salford, trafford, streford, urmston, moston, whitefield, radcliffe, miles platting, collyhurst, etc etc etc

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Bunker Buster

A very interesting stat, would be an OTee attendance Map.....

PM it me though...

the ABU's would go £#%&!ing nuts.

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:00 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
most of our support isn't from the manchester area - but that's just a result of being a succesful team and if city had our history they wouldn't be known as the "proper mancunian club" by these know-nothing ABUs, because they too would have their local support outnumbered by nationwide and international fans

i always hear local accents whenever i go to OT though, we still have a very very strong local following, especially in places like salford, trafford, streford, urmston, moston, whitefield, radcliffe, miles platting, collyhurst, etc etc etc
Why do people always throw in Salford but not Bolton and Stockport. Anyone who's not from Leeds or Ireland on here is from Bolton or Stockport with about 3 exceptions.

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:01 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Woodwork and I'd think they have picked up about 10-15,000 'new fans'

i truly believe they have got a fair few have only started attending recently..

Seeing more and more of them.

dirty @#%&!s.

They all still look like Divs though, easily spotted and avoided.
oh definitely, i even see a few more around salford these days, before all you'd see is united fans bar the very very occasional bertie

i still see more reds though when i'm in manchester, so it's all good

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:03 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Why do people always throw in Salford but not Bolton and Stockport. Anyone who's not from Leeds or Ireland on here is from Bolton or Stockport with about 3 exceptions.
bolton and stockport don't have manchester postcodes, salford does

i live in leeds for uni but i'm from salford originally, am i one of these 3 exceptions?

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:05 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
bolton and stockport don't have manchester postcodes, salford does

i live in leeds for uni but i'm from salford originally, am i one of these 3 exceptions?
no

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:06 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
no
i'm not a sheep£#%&!ger though

in all fairness i like leeds, really vibrant city with good nightlife and some nice areas, shame it's the homeplace of leeds united

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Bunker Buster

I think it hurts the eye and is alot easier to spot blues in public places, because they all seem to wear the club shop tat.....

Had a boss at my old place, who looked like hea'd run through the club shop covered in Loctite

he was about 60 though, the bobble hat, tracksuit, flag in the car....

i was expecting him to turn up with shin pads on one morning when we got knocked out by Bayern..

He was over the moon..

about us....In Europe..

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:11 PM
redwhiteandblack

Quote:
Why do people always throw in Salford but not Bolton and Stockport.
Location and history. OT is a stones throw away from Salford. Salford has always been red. And there's The Cliff training ground.

Bolton and Stockport have their own teams.

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:13 PM
£#%&! KFC

I was in Manchester on a Monday night a few months back when the Divs were playing the wall-pushers...massive game etc ..I was drinking around town town from 2pm till midnight....iin several different places...didn't see more than a couple of Taches and £#%&! all after the game

bit different when United are at home, you can't move for Reds

Unread 30-12-2010, 07:15 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
I think it hurts the eye and is alot easier to spot blues in public places, because they all seem to wear the club shop tat.....

Had a boss at my old place, who looked like hea'd run through the club shop covered in Loctite

he was about 60 though, the bobble hat, tracksuit, flag in the car....

i was expecting him to turn up with shin pads on one morning when we got knocked out by Bayern..

He was over the moon..

about us....In Europe..
typical bertie really, us losing is more important than them winning

i bet if they ever win the premier league first thing they'll say is "the rags aren't top of the league, get the £#%&! in!"

they really don't have the right mentality to be up there with barca, real, inter, milan, bayern, etc. i know all these teams have their rivals but they don't have that petty small time mentality that city have, where their rivals losing to another team is as big of a deal as a win to them.

the other night when bowyer scored a bertie's status was "GET THE £#%&! IN BOWYER!", i simply commented "ah, all the times you say 'city til i die' and 'come on you blues' you're actually referring to birmingham. i thought you were a man city fan, my bad"
Closed Thread