United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:32 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I think the football under Ole is better to watch than it was under anyone since Fergie.

Change my mind.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The roundabout crew

I'd rather be part of the roundabout crew than the £#%&!ing Martyr brigade. "you must suffer through the fix to be able to find true salvation. For only true believers will suffer and maintain their faith"

You lot sound like my catholic sunday school.
Say we sack Ole tomorrow and bring in someone else that is Sparky, Marlo and Whiteside approved, but in 12 months things are more or less the same.

What then? Sack them and move onto someone else again?

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:33 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Correct, and has no solutions to offer apart from Ole out either. None of the roundabout crew do, apart from tossing out some random foreign coach who they have no clue will be successful; and off we go again.
The only names are Pochettino, who despite doing a great job at Spurs ultimately failed and got sacked, and Allegri - no idea if he'd come, if he'd be any good in England, or if he even speaks English well enough

The truth is there are no guarantees in football, ever. Every single managerial appointment is a gamble. Ferguson came with a bagful of trophies and still struggled for years. So did LVG & Mourinho, and they didn't work out.

So maybe Pochettino or Allegri would be a success, maybe not, but the only thing we can be sure of is that it would mean starting all over again, and that it would take time. Nobody is going to come in and be an instant success, it's just not going to happen. And since everyone agrees the biggest problem is Woodward and the Glazers, that means we all agree it would likely take a while to see success again. During that waiting period, the same ones would be demanding the head of the manager again. And suddenly United are Everton, thinking maybe this year...

At some point you have to stick with someone and give them a fair crack. I actually agree with much of the criticism of Ole, but would like to see him given longer, because there are positive signs, and because I'm just not convinced by the potential replacements. I just don't see anyone jumping out as an obvious candidate.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
No one’s saying that though Sparky. I told you the other day that there are aspects of what he’s trying to do that I like, but I didn’t know whether he would ultimately be successful (the only TRUE answer imo) and you seized on the opportunity to demonstrate how that’s proof that I’m talking %@#$&!s simply because I wasn’t maniacally extreme like you.

It’s all bullshit mate.
You can dance around the issue however you like but all i have to do is point to the results and performances every week. We have a manager who has created a culture where everyone is quite comfortable and ok with losing every 3-4 games. That's not progress, that's not building anything apart from mediocrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

Say we sack Ole tomorrow and bring in someone else that is Sparky, Marlo and Whiteside approved, but in 12 months things are more or less the same.

Correct.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:35 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

Of course they would. The subject is far less important than the agenda, to wit: the true position of the roundabout crew is that whoever comes in has 6 months to get it right or it all begins again. They just won’t admit it up front is all.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:36 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Of course they would. The subject is far less important than the agenda, to wit: the true position of the roundabout crew is that whoever comes in has 6 months to get it right or it all begins again. They just won’t admit it up front is all.
I just did.

Your move.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:39 PM
AK14

Like it matters who the manager is while we have these owners and their pets running the show.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:41 PM
Zorg

Quote:
I just did.

Your move.
Has a club ever stumbled on a manager that got them zooming their way from mediocrity to trophies in 6 months?

If that's the standard it would rule out every manager who's currently in a job.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:42 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
The only names are Pochettino, who despite doing a great job at Spurs ultimately failed and got sacked, and Allegri - no idea if he'd come, if he'd be any good in England, or if he even speaks English well enough
https://twitter.com/juvefcdotcom/sta...92395135528960

The truth is there are no guarantees in football, ever. Every single managerial appointment is a gamble. Ferguson came with a bagful of trophies and still struggled for years. So did LVG & Mourinho, and they didn't work out.

So maybe Pochettino or Allegri would be a success, maybe not, but the only thing we can be sure of is that it would mean starting all over again, and that it would take time. Nobody is going to come in and be an instant success, it's just not going to happen. And since everyone agrees the biggest problem is Woodward and the Glazers, that means we all agree it would likely take a while to see success again. During that waiting period, the same ones would be demanding the head of the manager again. And suddenly United are Everton, thinking maybe this year...

At some point you have to stick with someone and give them a fair crack. I actually agree with much of the criticism of Ole, but would like to see him given longer, because there are positive signs, and because I'm just not convinced by the potential replacements. I just don't see anyone jumping out as an obvious candidate.
Great post, but playing Devil’s Advocate do we cut our losses and make a move soon, or gamble for another 2-3 years and potentially start again anyway?.

I’ve no idea. No-one does, including Woodward and owners. It’s hit and hope.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:43 PM
utd99

Quote:
You can dance around the issue however you like but all i have to do is point to the results and performances every week. We have a manager who has created a culture where everyone is quite comfortable and ok with losing every 3-4 games. That's not progress, that's not building anything apart from mediocrity.
I’m not comfortable with it. I don’t know if he’s comfortable with it, but I would guess he’s not; however once again you’re stating something as fact that you have no idea is true or not.

I believe fixing United’s problems is a very difficult job, and that whoever undertook to do it would be facing similar problems - not guaranteed, but likely. I like aspects of what he’s doing and think it’s well worth giving him the time to see if it works. I also think that as few as 2 or 3 players could leapfrog us forward massively in quality so we’re not talking years before we see meaningful progress. I may be wrong but I think it’s worth being patient and seeing what he can do.

Fell free to respond how it’s evident he’s the worst manager in the history of the world and the stupidest human since neanderthal times now.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
On the counter attack hell yes

Most of the time it’s erratic and discombobulated
Areed.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:44 PM
utd99

Quote:
I just did.

Your move.
Ok, so unrealistic then. At least it’s honest.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:44 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Has a club ever stumbled on a manager that got them zooming their way from mediocrity to trophies in 6 months?

If that's the standard it would rule out every manager who's currently in a job.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:47 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Correct.
Fair enough, although I completely disagree because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Like it matters who the manager is while we have these owners and their pets running the show.

Unread 07-01-2020, 02:57 PM
utd99

If we didn’t have a manager at all, I think not a single United supporter would have an issue with admitting that fixing our problems would require a massive shift out of players we know aren’t up to it, and the recruitment of 7 or 8 quality additions at the least, which would probably take 2-3 years minimum.

The problem Ole has is that actually having a manager trying to do just that allows the focus of all the angst, frustration and impatience with that process to fall on one head. Then it becomes the same old cycle.

Unread 07-01-2020, 03:20 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
I am fall for giving someone time but they have to deserve the time being given to them or there be evidence that if given time they can create a winning team/mentality. Such as Pochettino. Yes he was sacked but there is no denying what a good job he did at Spurs.

There is no evidence that Ole is the man to do this. To say otherwise is nonsensical.

If we had've lost to City and Spurs, he would have been sacked which a lot of people are forgetting including yourself and pat-a-cake-b.

Quote:
Check.

Mate.

Unread 07-01-2020, 03:23 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
I am fall for giving someone time but they have to deserve the time being given to them or there be evidence that if given time they can create a winning team/mentality. Such as Pochettino. Yes he was sacked but there is no denying what a good job he did at Spurs.

Unread 07-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Fair play, good answer.

One manager straight from nothing to success in a million years, and he was one that was universally laughed at when appointed.

Unread 07-01-2020, 03:30 PM
utd99

Quote:

There is no evidence that Ole is the man to do this. To say otherwise is nonsensical.

If we had've lost to City and Spurs, he would have been sacked which a lot of people are forgetting including yourself and pat-a-cake-b.

Check.

Mate.
More utter conjecture disguised as fact. Just saying something with ludicrous conviction doesn’t make it true mate, and I’ll bet while you’re lauding Pochettino’s job at Spurs you have literally no idea what it looked like after 3, 6 and 9 months.

“Check mate”? So you lot want Ranieri now huh? How long before you’re calling him Fraudio - the standard 6 months, or does he get longer because he was Sparky/Koppas approved?

Unread 07-01-2020, 03:33 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
More utter conjecture disguised as fact. Just saying something with ludicrous conviction doesn’t make it true mate, and I’ll bet while you’re lauding Pochettino’s job at Spurs you have literally no idea what it looked like after 3, 6 and 9 months.

“Check mate”? So you lot want Ranieri now huh? How long before you’re calling him Fraudio - the standard 6 months, or does he get longer because he was Sparky/Koppas approved?
Yes, that's exactly what I said.

You asked a question about when has a manager taken a team from nothing to winning things within six months - and sparky gave you a knockout blow.

Take it on the chin and move on. You're windmilling aots.

Unread 07-01-2020, 03:37 PM
Zorg

Quote:
He did, and don't get me wrong, if United got him I'd give him a chance. Good manager.

But we also can't ignore the fact that he didn't win anything and is basically a Spurs reject.

And again, it would be starting all over again and after 18 months of up and down results you'd all be calling for his head, too.

Quote:
There was 'evidence' both LVG and Mourinho were, but they weren't.

Quote:
We didn't.
Closed Thread