United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-10-2020, 12:37 PM
jem

to be fair, the first thing george graham would say is... if I am going to organise the back four, I would like four players whose primary job is to defend. in our half.

Unread 05-10-2020, 12:39 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
You can make an argument for Martial but there's no way Rashford, The Scottish Player or Shaw have improved. Shaw is constantly getting caught out of position which is a reoccurring theme in our defence.

His win percent is better than 2 people who also failed massively? What an achievement.

Nobody sane would claim we had the best defence or front 3 last season. City condeded fewer and there were better defences abroad. 4 teams in our league alone scored more than us, 1 of them scoring 50% more goals in the league

We're shit. Most of that is because of the board but Ole has to take a lot of the blame.
could also argue that martial didn't improve. just stopped being such a slapped arse. still, hardly set the league on fire.

as for shaw, he was his best when he was injured and Williams came in.

up until we signed bruno, we are a mess. We then got better and ole should be praised for that but let's not go overboard.

Unread 05-10-2020, 12:41 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
could also argue that martial didn't improve. just stopped being such a slapped arse. still, hardly set the league on fire.

as for shaw, he was his best when he was injured and Williams came in.

up until we signed bruno, we are a mess. We then got better and ole should be praised for that.

So true.

goldfinger II

Rashford carried our attack until he broke his back.

Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
to be fair, the first thing george graham would say is... if I am going to organise the back four, I would like four players whose primary job is to defend. in our half.
The game has moved on a lot since then. I'd love to see the club transition to 3 centre backs with wing backs. Pretty sure Wan Bissaka could fill the role of one of the centre backs alongside Maguire if the 3rd could read danger and play the ball a bit.

Luke Shaw would be a lot better in that position as he would have adequate cover. We'd need a great right wing back and they're few and far between.

believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
Rashford carried our attack until he broke his back.
that was about two years ago wasn't it?

Unread 05-10-2020, 12:45 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
You can make an argument for Martial but there's no way Rashford, The Scottish Player or Shaw have improved. Shaw is constantly getting caught out of position which is a reoccurring theme in our defence.

His win percent is better than 2 people who also failed massively? What an achievement.

Nobody sane would claim we had the best defence or front 3 last season. City condeded fewer and there were better defences abroad. 4 teams in our league alone scored more than us, 1 of them scoring 50% more goals in the league

We're shit. Most of that is because of the board but Ole has to take a lot of the blame.
Rashford didn't improve?

£#%&! me.

The Scottish Player was great before he was injured and Shaw was a lot better than he had been in years when he wasn't injured.

And I don't think we had the best defence and front three in Europe, I'm saying we did have one of the best defences in Europe and one of the most prolific front three in Europe. that front three made up of a 21 year old and 18 year old as well ffs.

Like I said, what's the point...

Unread 05-10-2020, 12:46 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
We'd need a great right wing back and they're few and far between.
just get him back from his loan?

Unread 05-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Rashford didn't improve?

£#%&! me.

The Scottish Player was great before he was injured and Shaw was a lot better than he had been in years when he wasn't injured.

And I don't think we had the best defence and front three in Europe, I'm saying we did have one of the best defences in Europe and one of the most prolific front three in Europe. that front three made up of a 21 year old and 18 year old as well ffs.

Like I said, what's the point...
You're right, we're great. Can't wait to see this team sweep up over the next few years. That Palace side was great, I imagine they went on and spanked teams after they gave us the runaround.

Unread 05-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
You're right, we're great. Can't wait to see this team sweep up over the next few years. That Palace side was great, I imagine they went on and spanked teams after they gave us the runaround.

Unread 05-10-2020, 01:04 PM
Lok

Our football is spineless and pathetic. That has been a culture that has been allowed to exist for too long. It didn't start with Ole but he has done nothing to turn it around. His approach is to put his arm around the players because he saw Mourinho's harsher approach fail. That works for a short amount of time but after that, players need structure and discipline and that is lacking. It's most evident in the defence where mistakes at an individual level are common and have been for a long time. It's easy to say they look poorly organised but it's true. Only West Brom have conceeded more goals this season (though they've played 1 more match) and only 3 teams have faced so many shots. The defence isn't supported by the midfield enough and Bailly aside, our midfield and defence lack enough aggression to compete. We're constantly come off second in 50/50s, we're slow to close players down and teams get in behind us far too easily.

At the end of last season we were bailed out by Bruno coming in and instantly clicking. He dragged the others to a higher level. Just a few months later he is already burnt out, underperforming and being substituted early.

Burning out players is a constant theme. Largely because Ole doesn't trust players outside of his starting XI. Perhaps because they're not good enough or perhaps because they haven't been in the cycle enough.

Unread 05-10-2020, 01:48 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Our football is spineless and pathetic. That has been a culture that has been allowed to exist for too long. It didn't start with Ole but he has done nothing to turn it around. His approach is to put his arm around the players because he saw Mourinho's harsher approach fail. That works for a short amount of time but after that, players need structure and discipline and that is lacking. It's most evident in the defence where mistakes at an individual level are common and have been for a long time. It's easy to say they look poorly organised but it's true. Only West Brom have conceeded more goals this season (though they've played 1 more match) and only 3 teams have faced so many shots. The defence isn't supported by the midfield enough and Bailly aside, our midfield and defence lack enough aggression to compete. We're constantly come off second in 50/50s, we're slow to close players down and teams get in behind us far too easily.

At the end of last season we were bailed out by Bruno coming in and instantly clicking. He dragged the others to a higher level. Just a few months later he is already burnt out, underperforming and being substituted early.

Burning out players is a constant theme. Largely because Ole doesn't trust players outside of his starting XI. Perhaps because they're not good enough or perhaps because they haven't been in the cycle enough.
Dunno what you're moaning about mate, we got to two semi finals last season, what more do you want?

Unread 05-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Dunno what you're moaning about mate, we got to two semi finals last season, what more do you want?

Unread 05-10-2020, 03:02 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
You are pal. Its mental. It was his first full season with an incredibly young squad. He exceeded the expectations of most of us, including you.

You can say that they don't know to coach until you go blue in the face, but when presented with the fact that our defensive record last season was one of the best in Europe, it doesn't make sense. How the £#%&! do you explain that if the manager and staff can't coach and the players are shite?

Something is seriously £#%&!ed this season nqat, but saying we've been utter garbage under Ole is plain £#%&!ing stupid.
Wasting your time pal. Any good results and performances have been in spite of our coaches and managers. The same people who expected us to finish 8th last season and said Ole would be gone by Xmas are the same ones giving it the “i told you so”, utterly shameless. The club is £#%&!ed and getting rid of Ole will fix precisely nothing.

Unread 05-10-2020, 04:11 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Wasting your time pal. Any good results and performances have been in spite of our coaches and managers. The same people who expected us to finish 8th last season and said Ole would be gone by Christmas are the same ones giving it the “i told you so”, utterly shameless. The club is £#%&!ed and getting rid of Ole will fix precisely nothing.
Because no one has any solutions, so they grasp. I don’t want him fired, but I also have diminishing faith that this set of coaches have the answers. I’m also alarmed that we appear to have drifted into a scenario whereby those solutions are only possible through the transfer market, which is the opposite of what I consider good management to be.

Solskjaer -ever honest- admitted it himself yesterday when he said (paraphrasing) ‘£#%&! the window, we need to be doing much much better with what we already have.’ And he’s right, he does.

Unread 05-10-2020, 06:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

In most cases there is no "perhaps" about it. Especially certain people given ludicrously lucrative long term contracts who are thus now impossible to shift.

I suppose that is Ole's fault as well?

Unread 06-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Red Santos

If Ole wants to save his job he needs to drop Pogba, go back to basics, play counter-attacking football and quit this Gung-Ho £#%&!ing bullshit.

Unread 06-10-2020, 08:36 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Santos
If Ole wants to save his job he needs to drop Pogba, go back to basics, play counter-attacking football and quit this Gung-Ho £#%&!ing bullshit.
Tbf, we've got plenty of attacks to counter these days

Unread 06-10-2020, 12:24 PM
History

Pogba 100% needs to be dropped. Hes been absolutely shite

Unread 06-10-2020, 02:10 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Pogba 100% needs to be dropped. Hes been absolutely shite
Poggers ran off to Ed last time he was dropped remember. Ed backed Pogba over the manager.

Ole won't want to drop him and have his authority undermined like that I'd have thought.
Closed Thread