United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 04-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Fat Al

Default Has Covid-19 been good for the environment?

Planes grounded, passenger liners moored up, cars parked, factories shut or on reduced capacity.

Then we have the sunniest May on record:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-5287791

After a few weeks of the lock-down, I noticed that everything outside just seemed clearer, fresher.

How can we keep this going when things begin returning to 'normal'?

Unread 04-06-2020, 01:32 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Planes grounded, passenger liners moored up, cars parked, factories shut or on reduced capacity.

Then we have the sunniest May on record:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-5287791

After a few weeks of the lock-down, I noticed that everything outside just seemed clearer, fresher.

How can we keep this going when things begin returning to 'normal'?
That is psychology playing a huge part.. you appreciate things more and you look for good in bad situations. Which is normal.

Without question, less cars on the road and less planes in the air is a good thing, how much of a good thing is very, very hard to prove.

In this day in age, as said on another related thread, you can't prove either way as everything is so deeply rooted in politics and people writing their own narrative.

Unread 04-06-2020, 01:39 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
That is psychology playing a huge part.. you appreciate things more and you look for good in bad situations. Which is normal.

Without question, less cars on the road and less planes in the air is a good thing, how much of a good thing is very, very hard to prove.

In this day in age, as said on another related thread, you can't prove either way as everything is so deeply rooted in politics and people writing their own narrative.
I don't think it was psychological. I was just sat outside chatting & I suddenly thought it just seemed clearer, fresher, nicer. Wasn't even thinking about it.

Don't forget the shite pushed out by cruise ships.
"Cruise brands run by Carnival Corporation emitted 10 times more cancer-causing gases in Europe than all of the continent’s passenger vehicles combined".

https://www.ft.com/content/8bceef94-...8-86cea8523dc2

Unread 04-06-2020, 01:51 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
I don't think it was psychological. I was just sat outside chatting & I suddenly thought it just seemed clearer, fresher, nicer. Wasn't even thinking about it.

Don't forget the shite pushed out by cruise ships.
"Cruise brands run by Carnival Corporation emitted 10 times more cancer-causing gases in Europe than all of the continent’s passenger vehicles combined".

https://www.ft.com/content/8bceef94-...8-86cea8523dc2
I know Manchester University used to run a pollutant capture and quantificaiton system a while ago, would be interesting to see what they've measured, if they're still around, even at a local level.

This is from York:
https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-even...york-lockdown/

Quote:
Dr David Carslaw, from the Department of Chemistry, who is an expert in urban air pollution has analysed data from local traffic monitoring sites as part of an ongoing project. The data was compared against an estimated “business as usual” level.

The analysis shows improvements in air quality (nitrogen dioxide concentrations) of 30 per cent on average across the city.

Last edited by elhombre; 04-06-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Unread 04-06-2020, 02:50 PM
rubbernecker

MCR council run air monitoring sites in Piccadilly and opposite the old BBC on Oxford Rd

I daresay they have the information available for interested parties to settle any perception v reality arguments

I'd imagine most local council's do the same

Unread 04-06-2020, 02:51 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker

MCR council run air monitoring sites in Piccadilly and opposite the old BBC on Oxford Rd

I daresay they have the information available for interested parties to settle any perception v reality arguments
Is he about to walk into that?

Unread 04-06-2020, 02:54 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Unless he can phase through solid matter like the Vision I'd say yes

Unread 04-06-2020, 02:56 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off