United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-05-2021, 04:49 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I've never thought about this before.
Also taking from the idea that playing at home second is an advantage.

Unread 29-05-2021, 05:02 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I don’t think a team tries any more or less to score based on away goals tbh. I think it’s an overhyped, overstated element. You hear it in commentary: away goals are nearly always described as ‘a crucial away goal’. How do you know it’s crucial? It could mean nothing. Roma scored 2 ‘crucial away goals’ against us too,

And .... AND.... it’s unfair on the team who plays at home second of it goes to extra time. The away side has 30 more minutes to score that the home team never had.
They've got home advantage for longer tbf. Historically, it balances it out quite well.

They should keep the rule. One goal can turn a defeat to victory, and cannot be arsed watching more extra time and penalties

Unread 29-05-2021, 05:13 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
They've got home advantage for longer tbf. Historically, it balances it out quite well.

They should keep the rule. One goal can turn a defeat to victory, and cannot be arsed watching more extra time and penalties
I think home advantage is somewhat subjective, whereas an away goal is a tangible advantage in the event of a tie.

I wonder how much of those stats are because the home team playing second is the team that tops the group and are often simply better than the other team.

Unread 29-05-2021, 11:51 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if so, it's better than the away team being cagey. the away goals rule encourages away teams to score. home teams already have the onus to attack. they're just tinkering for the sake of it.
Trust an old man like me. The rule was a vast improvement. Anyone fancying allowing Liverpool to pass back to the goalie for 90% of the game as they used to do in the 70s?

Unread 30-05-2021, 01:24 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
Trust an old man like me. The rule was a vast improvement. Anyone fancying allowing Liverpool to pass back to the goalie for 90% of the game as they used to do in the 70s?
It’s away goals they’re thinking of scrapping mate not the pass back rule.

Unread 30-05-2021, 08:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
It’s away goals they’re thinking of scrapping mate not the pass back rule.
I think that was scrapped three decades ago?

Unread 30-05-2021, 08:31 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I think that was scrapped three decades ago?
That was the point. People forget (or are too young to know) what it was like. Same with the away goals.

Unread 30-05-2021, 09:23 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
It's another European thing coming from Roman days.

When the Roman legions conquered France, local resistance was fierce (hence Asterix).

To encourage the Romans to be brutal, big rewards were offered to the legions who killed most of them.

Interestingly, the first big rewards went to a legion based in Germany who killed a number of them near what is now Stuttgart, even though the main legion based in Paris killed way more.

When this was queried in Rome, Caeser replied that it was because away Gauls count double.
There’s a thread for that sort of thing ....

Unread 30-05-2021, 09:33 PM
My Name is Heath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
There’s a thread for that sort of thing ....
Cheers avo - don't want any humour getting in the way of the serious footy business.

Edited and reposted in the Brexit thread joke

Unread 24-06-2021, 02:30 PM
dunk

Gone. Official.

Unread 24-06-2021, 03:27 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Gone. Official.
Heath or the rule? Or both?

Try it for a few years. Looking forward to them talking about that rather than the football itself for the full 90 minutes.

Unread 24-06-2021, 04:05 PM
Bishops Blaize

Ridiculous decision. Surely let the games go to extra-time and then away goals?
Closed Thread