United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-05-2021, 10:22 PM
Pop

Default UEFA to scrap the away goal rule.

Good riddance tbh. Always hated the sodding thing. Many a night I've been sat in front of the tv trying to figure out the current standing of a first leg 3-4 away loss followed by a 5-5 home draw.

Unread 28-05-2021, 10:57 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Good riddance tbh. Always hated the sodding thing. Many a night I've been sat in front of the tv trying to figure out the current standing of a first leg 3-4 away loss followed by a 5-5 home draw.
You're in the Europa League.

Unread 28-05-2021, 11:20 PM
red in cumbria

So its simply going to penalties if the scores are tied?

Not totally sure if I prefer that tbh.

Unread 28-05-2021, 11:34 PM
ryanMUFC

Why do they need to change anything?

It’s pretty £#%&!ed as it is that they can’t enforce FFP, why ruin things even more?

Unread 28-05-2021, 11:37 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Why do they need to change anything?

It’s pretty £#%&!ed as it is that they can’t enforce FFP, why ruin things even more?
because tiktok obsessed kids dont wanna learn complicated rules. According to the super league gimps, thats why football is doomed.

Unread 28-05-2021, 11:43 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
because tiktok obsessed kids dont wanna learn complicated rules. According to the super league gimps, thats why football is doomed.
Mental.

If less people are watching it, I’m guessing it’s because they sell the rights to the highest bidder which then recoups that money buying charging £30 a month.

Unread 29-05-2021, 12:00 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
So its simply going to penalties if the scores are tied?

Not totally sure if I prefer that tbh.
I certainly £#%&!ing don't. the best matches are usually in the knockout rounds of the tournament which are over 2 legs. The final is usually always £#%&!ing rubbish by comparison because everyone's too scared to make a mistake in a one off game

We'll end up with teams doing a villarreal every £#%&!ing game and playing for pens.

Unread 29-05-2021, 12:03 AM
JamesPolk

Good riddance I would say,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I certainly f***ing don't. the best matches are usually in the knockout rounds of the tournament which are over 2 legs. The final is usually always f***ing rubbish by comparison because everyone's too scared to make a mistake in a one off game

We'll end up with teams doing a villarreal every f***ing game and playing for pens.
One solution to that then, just introduce rule that if scores are tied after 180 min of combined play, both teams get knocked out instead.

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:02 AM
Stickman

I don’t rate the away goals rule tbh, makes home teams cagey. Certainly seen it have that effect on us over the years. No away goals focuses the mind better, just win and reduce the obsession with winning at home with a clean sheet.

Unread 29-05-2021, 07:27 AM
JamesPolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I don’t rate the away goals rule tbh, makes home teams cagey. Certainly seen it have that effect on us over the years. No away goals focuses the mind better, just win and reduce the obsession with winning at home with a clean sheet.
And nether do I, the away goal rule often made me felt like I was almost watching a diffrent code of football (probably similar as watching the Rugby Union and Rugby League), compared to the rest of the football season. So with it now finally being abolished (which should have have happend years ago), I'm going to argue that this change of removing the away goal rule will bring the UEFA knockout rounds more in line with the rest of the football season.

Unread 29-05-2021, 08:07 AM
Patty_b

Quite like the away goal rule, added an extra dimension to games, and getting rid feels like it's the continued dumbing down of the game to make it more palatable to morons that can't be bothered to learn the rules.

Also, if they're going to get rid of it then it would've made more sense to do it when the fans were out of the grounds rather than as they're coming back in. If playing in empty grounds has taught us anything, it's that home advantage is a thing when there are fans in the ground.

Unread 29-05-2021, 08:21 AM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Quite like the away goal rule, added an extra dimension to games, and getting rid feels like it's the continued dumbing down of the game to make it more palatable to morons that can't be bothered to learn the rules.

Also, if they're going to get rid of it then it would've made more sense to do it when the fans were out of the grounds rather than as they're coming back in. If playing in empty grounds has taught us anything, it's that home advantage is a thing when there are fans in the ground.
This nails it. Another nail in the coffin.

Whoever is James Polk, its a poor WUM.

Unread 29-05-2021, 08:27 AM
jem

Quote:
I don’t rate the away goals rule tbh, makes home teams cagey.
if so, it's better than the away team being cagey. the away goals rule encourages away teams to score. home teams already have the onus to attack. they're just tinkering for the sake of it.

Unread 29-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if so, it's better than the away team being cagey. the away goals rule encourages away teams to score. home teams already have the onus to attack. they're just tinkering for the sake of it.

Unread 29-05-2021, 04:16 PM
Dr Stranger

Good. It’s stupid.

Unread 29-05-2021, 04:18 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Gives the away team an incentive to attack though. Pretty sure it was to stop teams turning up and parking the bus.

Unread 29-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Gives the away team an incentive to attack though. Pretty sure it was to stop teams turning up and parking the bus.
It doesn’t work though. Teams still set up in the most part to not lose away and consider 0-0 a good result. Even though it more or less equates to a loss.

Unread 29-05-2021, 04:29 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
It doesn’t work though. Teams still set up in the most part to not lose away and consider 0-0 a good result. Even though it more or less equates to a loss.
Well, that depends on how bad it gets when it is scrapped.

Think most sides look to get an away goal tbf.

Unread 29-05-2021, 04:33 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Well, that depends on bad it gets when it is scrapped.

Think most sides look to get an away goal tbf.
I don’t think a team tries any more or less to score based on away goals tbh. I think it’s an overhyped, overstated element. You hear it in commentary: away goals are nearly always described as ‘a crucial away goal’. How do you know it’s crucial? It could mean nothing. Roma scored 2 ‘crucial away goals’ against us too,

And .... AND.... it’s unfair on the team who plays at home second of it goes to extra time. The away side has 30 more minutes to score that the home team never had.

Unread 29-05-2021, 04:46 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

And .... AND.... it’s unfair on the team who plays at home second of it goes to extra time. The away side has 30 more minutes to score that the home team never had.
I've never thought about this before.
Closed Thread