United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:15 PM
The Return of JC

Default Is this our most shrewd summer yet?

Ofcourse, we don't know how the new signings will work out or who (if anyone) we'll miss from the departures, but I have to admit I've been really impressed with how we've gone about our business this summer.

We've been persistant with certain targets and ruthless with others. Our signings show foresight and address areas that obviously need addressing. In the past few years many of us have been left scratching our heads failing to even see the thinking behind certain signings let alone agreeing with them.

Hargreaves is pricey, but necessary.
Anderson and Nani will look like a snip should they fulfill their promise
Tevez on loan and paid for out of two summers time's budget.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for Rossi, but 5-6m is a good price. Same for Smith and the money for Richardson was a £#%&!ing steal, frankly.

If Heinze goes for about £7m then we'll have got over £20m and won't be missing much.

Only time will tell, ofcourse, but on the surface our dealings seem quite shrewd.

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Ofcourse, we don't know how the new signings will work out or who (if anyone) we'll miss from the departures, but I have to admit I've been really impressed with how we've gone about our business this summer.

We've been persistant with certain targets and ruthless with others. Our signings show foresight and address areas that obviously need addressing. In the past few years many of us have been left scratching our heads failing to even see the thinking behind certain signings let alone agreeing with them.

Hargreaves is pricey, but necessary.
Anderson and Nani will look like a snip should they fulfill their promise
Tevez on loan and paid for out of two summers time's budget.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for Rossi, but 5-6m is a good price. Same for Smith and the money for Richardson was a £#%&!ing steal, frankly.

If Heinze goes for about £7m then we'll have got over £20m and won't be missing much.

Only time will tell, ofcourse, but on the surface our dealings seem quite shrewd.
add to that the extra money from ST's and we won't have spent a penny for the third glazer season. very shrewd.

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:21 PM
24hr Leavesey

Nearly but for me not quite.

The summer we signed Schmeichel and Parker tops it for me. Transformed into genuine title contenders for the first time in my lifetime.

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:28 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey

The summer we signed Schmeichel and Parker tops it for me. Transformed into genuine title contenders for the first time in my lifetime.
Could you have envisaged, at the time, how good Schmeichel would be though?

I remember the most exciting summer being the RVN and Veron season.

Who would've thought it eh, 10th in October.

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
believe

Quote:

Didn'e we buy Kanchelskis that summer too?

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Darth Vidic

Most excited I've been about a signing was when we were getting Ronaldo.

I don't think its just about the players we've bought, its the ones who are coming back from loan too - apart from Rossi - Fergie needs to be ruthless and give them a chance

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
Most excited I've been about a signing was when we were getting Ronaldo.

I don't think its just about the players we've bought, its the ones who are coming back from loan too - apart from Rossi - Fergie needs to be ruthless and give them a chance
Don't talk silly.

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Could you have envisaged, at the time, how good Schmeichel would be though?

Certainly before the start of that season, yes.

Saw every close season game that year and was just mightily impressed by the way he caught shots most keepers would've tipped over the bar, I'd also never seen a guy that big get to ground that fast.

Everton away a few games into that season confirmed that he was a legend in the making.

I must admit the summer we signed Veron and Ruud eclipsed the feeling I got summer '91 but in hindsight...

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Didn't we buy Kanchelskis that summer too?

No, he signed in November the year before, and made his debut shortly before the end of that season. think it was against Arsenal away, just before we played Barca in the CWC

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
believe

Quote:
No, he signed in November the year before, and made his debut shortly before the end of that season. think it was against Arsenal away, just before we played Barca in the CWC
I thought so because on the celebrations after the ECWC you can see him a few times. £#%&! me its taken 16 years for me to have that confirmed

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:47 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
I thought so because on the celebrations after the ECWC you can see him a few times. £#%&! me its taken 16 years for me to have that confirmed

I consider him a summer signing for some reason, and tbh most people I know do too.

I just knew some pendant would pull me up on it here so I left him out.

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:47 PM
edwin

Quote:

I was ecstatic when we signed Parker. I had been telling everyone who would listen for years that he was a player we should be signing.
Remember he always had Sparky and Choccy in his pocket when we played QPR

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
believe

Quote:
I consider him a summer signing for some reason, and tbh most people I know do too.

I just knew some pendant would pull me up on it here so I left him out.
can i pull you up on pendant?

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:49 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin
I was ecstatic when we signed Parker. I had been telling everyone who would listen for years that he was a player we should be signing.
remember that tackle someone playing for QPR did on him? looked a bit like weeman (not ours, Jackass) thought he was the %@#$&!s?

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:51 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin

The Salmon

His league debut against Notts County (ye gods) was piss funny, he took two players out with one tackle. Talk about easing yourself in.

One of my fave memories at OT that fixture, just a great day. Some @#%&!s car set on fire and they announced it over the tannoy too

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:52 PM
believe

Quote:
The Salmon

His league debut against Notts County (ye gods) was piss funny, he took two players out with one tackle. Talk about easing yourself in.

One of my fave memories at OT that fixture, just a great day. Some @#%&!s car set on fire and they announced it over the tannoy too
£#%&! me i remember that like it was yesterday Robbo scored a belter too.

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:52 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
can i pull you up on pendant?

Go on, but I think you're about to embarrass ypurself...

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
believe

Quote:
Go on, but I think you're about to embarrass ypurself...
i never mentioned a word

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:55 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
£#%&! me i remember that like it was yesterday Robbo scored a belter too.

yup. Sparky scored a thumping volley with his knee too.

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Spiffy

Sparky re-signing was good but the most exciting summer was 96, I'd heard from several very good sources we'd signed Shearer. I was buzzing and then absolutely devastated. I still rate him as the one signing who would have made us unbetable. Him and Eric up front. @#%&!, I hope Jack Walker's in hell.
Closed Thread