United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 05-05-2018, 07:55 AM
shenwen

Awful game. Getting used to it now. Mourinho’s post match comments deplorable. Getting used to it now.

What is hard to get used to though is players not even trying. I know it’s end of the season, and maybe they already know that not being one of Jose’s favourite means a seat on the bench regardless, but would have liked to have seen Martial, Rashford and Mata at least have a go. Okay, Mata probably played at his level, but the other two were very poor, relatively speaking.

Says something when players of such obvious ability aren’t even fighting for a place any more.

Unread 05-05-2018, 08:05 AM
sub three hours

It was a dreadful performance, we were Insipid all over the pitch, with our players clearly thinking that they can saunter around and win in second gear. We didn’t wake up until it was too late, and even then our attacking strategy was very “hoof and hope for the best”.

Unread 05-05-2018, 08:16 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Not sure that it is entirely fair to judge Rashford's potential as a striker on the 3 starts he has had in that role all season.
Clearly been "indulged".

Unread 05-05-2018, 08:29 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Awful game. Getting used to it now. Mourinho’s post match comments deplorable. Getting used to it now.
Agreed, Mourinho’s post match comments are dishonourable, unworthy and shabby. He used similarly demeaning phrases about Mo Salah when at Chelsea, look how that turned out?

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if the man has any notion at all of how to nuture talent. These days, It's beginning to look like, unless he's given or can buy the finished article he's clueless. An extremely successful man yes for sure, but he's also a mean spirited, nasty, negative minded, bully for me.

Unread 05-05-2018, 08:32 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Agreed, Mourinho’s post match comments are dishonourable, unworthy and shabby. He used similarly demeaning phrases about Mo Salah when at Chelsea, look how that turned out?

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if the man has any notion at all of how to nuture talent. These days, It's beginning to look like, unless he's given or can buy the finished article he's clueless. An extremely successful man yes for sure, but he's also a mean spirited, nasty, negative minded, bully for me.
He is a finished article.

Unread 05-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
He’s played enough football across the front line to show some progress mate; he hasn’t. Fundamentals are fundamentals whether you play off the left, right or centre. Rather than ask why he’s not getting chances ahead of Lukaku, he should be more worried about why Lukaku looks better when he drifts out wide too, and who else from the academy might be sniffing for a shot.

Martial and Rashford are not the only young players at the club.
Where was Lukaku at 20? On loan at WBA and Everton, starting every week. Maybe that is what Rashford needs, hard to develop getting 1 start a month and almost never playing in your best position. Also took Raheem Sterling a couple of frustrating years at City before he made that leap, with many of the same issues that frustrate people with Rashford holding him back, decision making, final ball/shot, consistency.

Martial is a different story, you were correct to point out 18 months ago that his attitude on the pitch left a great deal to be desired, the lack of hunger in his game is a concern. I don't have that worry with Rashford, just not quite as gifted as Martial.

Unread 05-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Wellinever

Default Wembley Trials?

Was last nights game meant to be a 'Wembley try-out'?
Why make 5 or was it 6 (unforced) changes other then to give players a chance to impress, and stake a claim for the final, unless of course Jose's putting some of them in the 'shop window'?

Either way it didn't work, only De Gea, Matic, possibly Young, actually booked their places, Pogba really put himself on a knife edge, you never know which Paul Pogba is going to turn up, the fantastic big game player, or the petulant kid trying step- overs and cut backs when there is no purpose other than to show off? Must be infuriating for the Manager, never mind the fans.

If Darmian, Rojo, Mata, Martial were in the shop window, few would attract much attention on last nights showing.

It breaks you heart watching Rashford, he's hit a wall this year and is tending not just to stand still but in some parts of his game go backwards. Last night he looked what he is a kid playing out of his depth. no real idea of how to play centre forward role, in United's current team.

Unread 05-05-2018, 12:14 PM
utd99

Quote:
Where was Lukaku at 20? On loan at WBA and Everton, starting every week. Maybe that is what Rashford needs, hard to develop getting 1 start a month and almost never playing in your best position. Also took Raheem Sterling a couple of frustrating years at City before he made that leap, with many of the same issues that frustrate people with Rashford holding him back, decision making, final ball/shot, consistency.

Martial is a different story, you were correct to point out 18 months ago that his attitude on the pitch left a great deal to be desired, the lack of hunger in his game is a concern. I don't have that worry with Rashford, just not quite as gifted as Martial.
I’m not writing Rashford off; far from it. I really like him and want him to be a hit here, but he’s a man now playing in a man’s shirt, and as such he needs to take responsibility for his performances and his development. All you can ask for is a chance- what you do with it is up to you. I’m not buying into this notion that centre forward is the only place on the field he can thrive, and that if he doesn’t get an extended run in that specific position it doesn’t really count as a chance at all. It’s a handy excuse.

People talk about him as though he’s the last player this club is ever going to produce and that the very soul of the club is at stake if he doesn’t make it. That’s nonsense. I’d be more concerned about who’s not getting a crack behind him if we allow ourselves to play a bad hand too long. A player needs to make it because he’s good enough, not because of his biography. I hope he’s good enough.

Unread 05-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellinever
Was last nights game meant to be a 'Wembley try-out'?
Why make 5 or was it 6 (unforced) changes other then to give players a chance to impress, and stake a claim for the final, unless of course Jose's putting some of them in the 'shop window'?

Either way it didn't work, only De Gea, Matic, possibly Young, actually booked their places, Pogba really put himself on a knife edge, you never know which Paul Pogba is going to turn up, the fantastic big game player, or the petulant kid trying step- overs and cut backs when there is no purpose other than to show off? Must be infuriating for the Manager, never mind the fans.

If Darmian, Rojo, Mata, Martial were in the shop window, few would attract much attention on last nights showing.

It breaks you heart watching Rashford, he's hit a wall this year and is tending not just to stand still but in some parts of his game go backwards. Last night he looked what he is a kid playing out of his depth. no real idea of how to play centre forward role, in United's current team.

Unread 05-05-2018, 12:22 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I’m not writing Rashford off; far from it. I really like him and want him to be a hit here, but he’s a man now playing in a man’s shirt, and as such he needs to take responsibility for his performances and his development. All you can ask for is a chance- what you do with it is up to you. I’m not buying into this notion that centre forward is the only place on the field he can thrive, and that if he doesn’t get an extended run in that specific position it doesn’t really count as a chance at all. It’s a handy excuse.

People talk about him as though he’s the last player this club is ever going to produce and that the very soul of the club is at stake if he doesn’t make it. That’s nonsense. I’d be more concerned about who’s not getting a crack behind him if we allow ourselves to play a bad hand too long. A player needs to make it because he’s good enough, not because of his biography. I hope he’s good enough.
Post.

Unread 05-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Getting absolutely £#%&!ing sick of this tbh.

5 years of this £#%&!ing shit, watching various spineless @#%&!s surrender to teams that we'd have £#%&!ing smashed 5-0 a decade ago.

I know we all have our little battles on here and different opinions but surely everybody is £#%&!ed off after watching that? We all want the same thing, a winning football team that plays some exciting football. Is that so much to ask for with the resources at the disposal of manchester united.

I'm really not in the mood to argue with anyone on here tonight tbh but i really do worry when i see performances like that. There's big problems with this team and it's attitude, especially in games where we're expected to go and be dominant.

The club should apologies to all the supporters who travelled down there on a friday night to endure that £#%&!ing shite.
We lack genuine quality in most areas of the pitch. How many of our players would anyone be desperate for us to sign if they were playing at other clubs, We probably need half a starting XI to come in to compete with City over a season.

Unread 05-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
We lack genuine quality in most areas of the pitch. How many of our players would anyone be desperate for us to sign if they were playing at other clubs, We probably need half a starting XI to come in to compete with City over a season.
Correct.

Unread 05-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Sapien

Quite enjoy Friday night football as it means you get it out if the way early and can enjoy the rest of the weekend without Mourinho's cloggers stinking the place out.

Unread 05-05-2018, 01:27 PM
75Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Spot on.
Also, how does someone of Dave's calibre handle playing with this bunch of useless gits? If the lad has any sense he'll want out because he's a worldly. And the rest of them are an abomination.

Unread 05-05-2018, 02:06 PM
LFOD

Quote:
Not sure that it is entirely fair to judge Rashford's potential as a striker on the 3 starts he has had in that role all season.
there is a good reason for that - he's not ready for it. end of. him and anleka are shit and should be shipped the £#%&!out. rashford on loan the two of them make lump look like a worldy. and anleka won't even be missed.

Unread 05-05-2018, 02:09 PM
andyroo

Yeah that's right. Mourinho's traditional method for making players better has been to ensure they're as far away from him as possible. Remarkably effective.

Unread 05-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Shade

Virtually a meaningless game, manager and players couldn't care less and end of season tiredness.

Win the FA Cup and Jose starts his record of winning at least 1 trophy per season with United.

Unread 05-05-2018, 02:28 PM
utd99

“Anleka”

Unread 05-05-2018, 02:30 PM
LFOD

utd99

Unread 05-05-2018, 02:32 PM
utd99

Reminds me of Alan calling van Gaal thumb-head over and over. That one didn’t catch on either.