United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: why don’t you want the Qataris?
because nation states shouldn’t own football clubs 26 76.47%
a nation state should not own a football club if it doesnt share my values 3 8.82%
they are too rich and it’s not fair on everyone else 1 2.94%
city did it first 0 0%
they are not from Failsworth 3 8.82%
because poster (insert name) wants them to own us 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 16-06-2023, 10:42 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Nah, there’s two options being advanced currently that people will rightfully have opinions on. But when one is decided upon, people will very much get on with it.

A bit like brexit tbh, once the decision was made, most of us simply got on with it and didn’t complain about it again.
I hope so mate. This place is unreal when harmonious

Unread 16-06-2023, 10:43 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I hope so mate. This place is unreal when harmonious
I can't remember that far back

Unread 16-06-2023, 11:08 AM
BarryX

I went with the money option, solely because I hate how financial doping is killing competitiveness in the sport. That being said, anyone with the kind of money capable of buying the club from the Glazers in the first place, and then being able to consistently compete with the Citys, PSGs and Real Madrids of this world, is going to have to have access to billions.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Unread 16-06-2023, 11:11 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Nah, there’s two options being advanced currently that people will rightfully have opinions on. But when one is decided upon, people will very much get on with it.

A bit like brexit tbh, once the decision was made, most of us simply got on with it and didn’t complain about it again.

Unread 16-06-2023, 11:16 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
I went with the money option, solely because I hate how financial doping is killing competitiveness in the sport. That being said, anyone with the kind of money capable of buying the club from the Glazers in the first place, and then being able to consistently compete with the Citys, PSGs and Real Madrids of this world, is going to have to have access to billions.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Well for me, it’s access to the money the club itself generates through its endeavour of becoming one of the most successful and exciting football teams of all time. Not some roided up garish ego bauble used as a political lever for a foreign state.

Unread 16-06-2023, 11:35 AM
jem

Quote:
Well for me, it’s access to the money the club itself generates through its endeavour of becoming one of the most successful and exciting football teams of all time. Not some roided up garish ego bauble used as a political lever for a foreign state.
dis.

Unread 16-06-2023, 04:07 PM
pedr0

"Qatar won't cheat, they don't need to because utd can be self sufficient"
"scruffy Jim is too poor, we need Qatari billions to compete with city"

I'm struggling to understand the people who simultaneously hold both these opinions

Unread 16-06-2023, 04:15 PM
tatty

As I understand it the hundreds of millions required for infrastructure doesn't count within FFP rules?

Happy to be corrected.

Unread 16-06-2023, 04:42 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
As I understand it the hundreds of millions required for infrastructure doesn't count within FFP rules?

Happy to be corrected.
I think Pedro might be a bit simple though.

Unread 16-06-2023, 04:45 PM
pedr0

most of the Qatari in twitter mob have never set foot inside old Trafford.

you're telling me their number one concern is upgrading the infrastructure

Unread 16-06-2023, 04:46 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
most of the Qatari in twitter mob have never set foot inside old Trafford.

you're telling me their number one concern is upgrading the infrastructure
Training ground is the one that cracks me up....

"Worst in the league"

"Even Leicesters' is streets ahead"

Knock about Carrington and the East Midlands much lads ?

Unread 16-06-2023, 06:24 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
have gone with nation states not owning football clubs. but, since they do, it would be silly for us not to be owned by one.
I know exactly what you mean because sooner or later even joke clubs such as Q.P.R. & C Palace will have mega rich owners, so unless we get mega-rich owners of our own, we're gonna end-up getting left behind & of cause United games would still be treated as a Cup Final by all opponnets, so in actuel fact, it would be a recipe for constant battles against relegation every season

Unread 16-06-2023, 06:34 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hill
I know exactly what you mean because sooner or later even joke clubs such as Q.P.R. & C Palace will have mega rich owners, so unless we get mega-rich owners of our own, we're gonna end-up getting left behind & of cause United games would still be treated as a Cup Final by all opponnets, so in actuel fact, it would be a recipe for constant battles against relegation every season
Why would we get left behind if we don't get extraordinarily wealthy ?

Of the teams in the pyramid 95% of them would swap places with us in the last 18 years ???

It's such an odd way of looking at it, why do people think QPR are goin to over take us, we've won every major trophy under the glazers ownership....

Unread 16-06-2023, 06:37 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Why would we get left behind if we don't get extraordinarily wealthy ?

Of the teams in the pyramid 95% of them would swap places with us in the last 18 years ???

It's such an odd way of looking at it, why do people think QPR are goin to over take us, we've won every major trophy under the glazers ownership....
…so let’s keep the Glazers then, if they’re so good?

Or can we agree that it was merely the genius of a certain manager who got us across the line to win the big trophies, despite them rather than because of?

Unread 16-06-2023, 06:50 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red

Or can we agree that it was merely the genius of a certain manager who got us across the line to win the big trophies, despite them rather than because of?
Never said they were good, neither has our transfers and staff placement though....

Be easier if people just said they wanted to be the richest in the league with a shiny new stadium though than this lie that were getting left behind...

This talk of the stadium falling down, Carrington like beruit.....

All from a bunch of e-reds that couldn't point to the places on a map .

QPR and relegation battles....FFS

Unread 16-06-2023, 06:52 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:

Doesn’t need to be one extreme or the other. Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea have won the league in that time spending far less. Were their managers geniuses too?

If Guardiola & Soriano were here instead of Woodward and the catalogue of fools who’ve managed (certainly Moyes, Ole, latter day broken down Mou .. not quite ready to put LVG there) and the spends were exactly the same, then no doubt we’d have achieved the riches of city (probably more in Europe).

People, not spend, has been the issue ..

Unread 16-06-2023, 06:56 PM
jem

Quote:
Never said they were good, neither has our transfers and staff placement though....

Be easier if people just said they wanted to be the richest in the league with a shiny new stadium though than this lie that were getting left behind...

I've played at carrington and I understand that the concept of being left behind by qpr doesn't involve looking at the last 18 years, but imagining what the next 18 would look like if the qataris bought qpr instead of united.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea have won the league in that time spending far less. Were their managers geniuses too?
um.... yes?

Unread 16-06-2023, 06:59 PM
Finport Red

Quote:

It may not be falling down, but I don’t think anyone can argue that the stadium hasn’t fallen behind most of the top clubs, from a position of being the best in the country when the glazers took over. On the stadium front, we are being left behind.

Again, when the glazers took over, we were the richest club. We earned it, the glazers stole it. We’ve been left behind again, because of them.

I think most people only want us to be returned to where we should be, at the very top where we were 18 years ago. Is being owned by Qatar won’t guarantee the winning of every major trophy, I don’t think anyone believes that. But it will enable us to complete properly again, something we haven’t been able to do since Fergie retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
Doesn’t need to be one extreme or the other. Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea have won the league in that time spending far less. Were their managers geniuses too?

If Guardiola & Soriano were here instead of Woodward and the catalogue of fools who’ve managed (certainly Moyes, Ole, latter day broken down Mou .. not quite ready to put LVG there) and the spends were exactly the same, then no doubt we’d have achieved the riches of city (probably more in Europe).

People, not spend, has been the issue ..
The ownership has been the issue. They didn’t hand over the necessary funds even to Fergie in his last years.

Unread 16-06-2023, 07:00 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:

The main reason we’ve slipped as badly as we have is how badly the club has been run and managed since Fergie £#%&!ed off hand in hand with Gill, We’ve made umpteen blunders over recruitment, transfers, contract awards etc since then - the responsibility of one major culprit imo - so much so that to get ourselves out of that mess will now require major investment. But also a re-boot of the structure of the club. This coincides with city having continuous major investment but also being very well run albeit cheating on an industrial scale. I see the biggest positive from any new owner to be hopefully a long term vision of what’s needed with the right hierarchy in place. Being able to use the majority of our revenues should be enough and we can perhaps expand our commercial reach organically rather than awarding ourselves non arms length sponsorship deals.

The track record of both incumbents in terms of getting the right hierarchy involved is suspect but I do feel that’s probably the most important thing.

I really don’t see the need to make huge infrastructure and stadium investments but others see differently.

Unread 16-06-2023, 07:03 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
But it will enable us to complete properly again, something we haven’t been able to do since Fergie retired.

The ownership has been the issue. They didn’t hand over the necessary funds even to Fergie in his last years.
Fergie didn’t get the backing he needed at the tail end that I completely agree with. But as for the years since? Sorry, no. The Qataris could ship up spending the most in the world and if they spend it as the succession of managers & execs have we could easily be just a perennial top 6 team.

The money has been spent .. now was it debt, yes .. but it was spent. Throwing money at the project has never been the issue. The savvyness and cunning has been. We’ll see where the Qataris fare on that front.
Closed Thread