United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 06-08-2023, 02:05 PM
BigJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
that’s not my point tbh.

My point is if we bought a defensive midfielder which we do need , we wouldn’t be on here posting that we need to sign Mason mount.

there we wasted our limited budget on a luxury squad signing.
Jesus Christ man, give it a rest. Ten Hag wanted him, he’s here, let it go and see whether he was right or wrong. You’re £#%&!ing obsessed.

Unread 06-08-2023, 02:55 PM
dunk

Mount will start more games than he doesn’t, and more than Amrabat if he arrives. That’s not a ‘luxury squad player’ that’s an integral first team player.

Could/can sign Amrabat at any point it suits us. We don’t get Mount when did he’s playing for Liverpool, City, Arsenal or Newcastle by now.

Unread 06-08-2023, 11:07 PM
red in cumbria

The posterior seeing at 0-1 etc etc

Unread 06-08-2023, 11:38 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Mount will start more games than he doesn’t, and more than Amrabat if he arrives. That’s not a ‘luxury squad player’ that’s an integral first team player.

Could/can sign Amrabat at any point it suits us. We don’t get Mount when did he’s playing for Liverpool, City, Arsenal or Newcastle by now.
mount is a luxury in the sense that we have plenty of mount type players and we wouldn't particularly miss not having him. once amrabat arrives... and it looks as if he will, now that fred is off.... we'll have the luxury of choice. of the two, mount certainly should not have been the priority, imnvho. having him isn't exactly going to hold us back, though (but 10h using him in the wrong games will cost us).

we couldn't get amrabat if he signed for any of those team either.

Unread 07-08-2023, 09:15 AM
dunk

That’s from your perspective of ‘there should always be 2 DM’s, minimum’ which was something consistently complained about when Mou and Ole did it with any combination of Matic, Fred and McT as invariably we struggled attacking wise.

Pretty clear that ETH doesn’t want 2 DM’s as his default setting, he wants one and then 2 forward thinking, energetic goal threat midfielders in front of him. Based on that Mount was absolutely crucial, as DvdB, Fred, Eriksen and The Scottish Player all have proven absolutely that they are not that guy over a number of years. Your claim that ‘we have loads of Mount type players’ is therefore clearly incorrect.

Amrabat is replacing Fred/McT/Beek as a body in the squad, one that offers a different option. If those 3 don’t leave, we’re not that arsed about him. If we were, we’d have signed him earlier, he appears to be happy to wait though, hence no rush.

Unread 07-08-2023, 09:40 AM
jem

Quote:
That’s from your perspective of ‘there should always be 2 DM’s, minimum’ which was something consistently complained about when Mou and Ole did it with any combination of Matic, Fred and McT as invariably we struggled attacking wise.

Pretty clear that ETH doesn’t want 2 DM’s as his default setting, he wants one and then 2 forward thinking, energetic goal threat midfielders in front of him. Based on that Mount was absolutely crucial, as DvdB, Fred, Eriksen and The Scottish Player all have proven absolutely that they are not that guy over a number of years. Your claim that ‘we have loads of Mount type players’ is therefore clearly incorrect.

Amrabat is replacing Fred/McT/Beek as a body in the squad, one that offers a different option. If those 3 don’t leave, we’re not that arsed about him. If we were, we’d have signed him earlier, he appears to be happy to wait though, hence no rush.
if mount is brought in to be an upgrade on the don, fred and The Scottish Player, (a) that's a pretty £#%&!ing low bar; (b) none of them was actually a first team player last season; and (c) mount isn't the same kind of player... maybe close to the don (who is a totally £#%&!ing incapable lightweight in that role).

yes, eriksen is knackered (or not back to full fitness). but, in addition to that, he's also the wrong kind of player in the dm slot. it's not that you need someone primarily defensive - they need to be able to use the ball and create an attacking threat, too. cass, for example, is an attacking threat. eriksen is not capable of any real defending and nor is mount. they might buzz around picking up the odd loose ball or be there to pass to. amrabat, like cass, is not simply a dm. if/when he comes, you will see that his use of the ball, both passing and running with it, is as good as mount's. mount is not £#%&!ing veron or scholes.

the kind of player that we have that is similar to mount is not fred or The Scottish Player, but rather bruno, sancho, garnacho, amad, pellistri, hannibal and, yes, eriksen (and he's not better than half of those) - all the players that would be in the 3 in a 4-2-3-1. mount should not be in the 2 unless we are playing shit at home in the cup, when it doesn't matter.

I'd say he was more an alternative to bruno. now, bruno could play in the 2. but you wouldn't really want him there.

if you want to say we play 4-1-2-2-1.... well, whatever.... we need midfielders with bite and mount doesn't even bark.

your idea that a defensive midfielder detracts from our attacking capabilities flies in the face of united's history. not its recent history, but that's the £#%&!ing problem. the players aren't good enough, whatever you think the formation is. and mount is not the answer. if we don't get amrabat (or palhinha or lavia), the squad will remain unbalanced. if you can't see beyond "it's what 10h wants", then maybe bear in mind that amrabat or lavia is "what 10h wants."

Unread 07-08-2023, 09:41 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

Spot on.

Although I do think Eriksen is being downplayed a lot. He’ll still have a big role to play, especially at home to teams sitting back. Still very useful in certain situations. Still got the most consistent delivery in the squad.

Unread 07-08-2023, 09:59 AM
dunk

Eriksen is a slight upgrade on latter day Mata imo.

Jem you are very, very confused. I think you need to start again.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:02 AM
jem

mata would have scored from that free kick on the edge of the box yesterday.

Quote:
Jem you are very, very confused. I think you need to start again.
that sounds like the sort of thing someone who is confused would say.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:10 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
mata would have scored from that free kick on the edge of the box yesterday.

that sounds like the sort of thing someone who is confused would say.
Not at all, I just cba pulling that post of yours apart, do it yourself. Start with Mount being the same type of player as Garnacho, Antony etc. and go from there.

The ‘it’s what ten Hag wants’ is of course the part you can’t get your head around. Just like he wants Amrabat as an option to replace Fred and McT, not to go into the first team. You think he should be in the team, because that’s how you think we should play. The manager is in charge.

Hence we’ve been absolutely nowhere near Palinha.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:15 AM
pedr0

if we get Amrabat, I think that by the second half of the season he'll be in the team for most games.

mount I can see getting a lot of minutes but without a position locked down - i.e. starting games at CM, AM, RW as required, first option off the bench if he's not starting etc

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Patty_b

If Mount is like Garnacho when he's the signing of the season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
bruno, sancho, garnacho, amad, pellistri, hannibal and, yes, eriksen
None of those players are like each other in the first place, except maybe Erikson and Bruno if Bruno had arthritis in both legs.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:18 AM
jem

Quote:
Not at all, I just cba pulling that post of yours apart, do it yourself. Start with Mount being the same type of player as Garnacho, Antony etc. and go from there.

The ‘it’s what ten Hag wants’ is of course the part you can’t get your head around. Just like he wants Amrabat as an option to replace Fred and McT, not to go into the first team. You think he should be in the team, because that’s how you think we should play. The manager is in charge.

Hence we’ve been absolutely nowhere near Palinha.
I didn't mention antony.

if amrabat comes, his play will demand a place. we'll see whether mount's does.

clearly, my views on team selection differ from the manager's. if that's your big reveal, I'm pretty sure anyone on fred could have told you.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
If Mount is like Garnacho when he's the signing of the season!

None of those players are like each other in the first place, except maybe Erikson and Bruno if Bruno had arthritis in both legs.

Mount is going to play the vast majority of games for his pressing alone.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:20 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
they are all attacking midfielders who should be in the 3, not in the 2.

clearly mount is nothing like garnacho, which is why he won't be in the first xi in a couple of months.

dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I didn't mention antony.

if amrabat comes, his play will demand a place. we'll see whether mount's does.

clearly, my views on team selection differ from the manager's. if that's your big reveal, I'm pretty sure anyone on fred could have told you.
Sorry, was going off memory. Garnacho is bad enough tbh.

If Amrabat demands a place it will be Casemiro’s imo, based on what the manager wants and has done previous.

jem

Quote:
Mount is going to play the vast majority of games for his pressing alone.
£#%&! me. just... £#%&! me.

"he's a good presser."

£#%&! me.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:21 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

clearly mount is nothing like garnacho, which is why he won't be in the first xi in a couple of months.

another Jem special

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:22 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
£#%&! me. just... £#%&! me.

"he's a good presser."

£#%&! me.
Thats not all he’s going to bring, but his ability to press is going to be that important.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:24 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

We probably won't have a first eleven next year, it's going to have to be a squad effort. No-one here is going to turn down another midfielder if we can get one, we've needed about 3 of them for a few years now. That includes someone like Mount and someone like Amrabat, rather than either/or.

And I have no issues with attacking players at Man United. I don't remember "DEFEND! DEFEND! DEFEND DEFEND DEFEND!' echoing around Old Trafford at any point.