United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:40 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Default VAR - Time To Go

I am baffled as to why more of you in general are not outraged by what it has done to the sport.

Time and time again I hear ex pros that in the pockets of the broadcasters that want VAR meekly concede that the right decision has been reached and that the issue is the time it took to come a conclusion.

For me that's not the issue (although annoying in its own rite). Every single time the ball goes in the net now fans have become conditioned to fear a goal being ruled out due to some self important #@&%! in a van having his 5mins.

VAR has taken the spontaneous joy out of football, the very thing that imho made it the best sport on earth. What it allegedly gives, even when working at optimum efficiency, is not worth what we lose.

Imagine 99 with VAR. Time to scrap it completely

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:41 PM
silv

with you completely

absolutely ruined football.

rugby it’s fine as it’s got so many rules and is stop start anyway but it doesn’t suit football at all

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:42 PM
believe

I’m not sure what you want me to do.

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:44 PM
woody78

100% agree.

I can't remember the last time i celebrated a goal properly.

It's genuinely ruined football

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:45 PM
Dr Stranger

Yep. No amount of correct decisions* is worth taking the sponateous joy out of the game

*and it’s not many anyway

Has anybody ever wanted the game to be perfect?

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:47 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I’m not sure what you want me to do.
Hmmmm, bit overly defensive there. I wasn’t at all suspicious that you had something to do with VAR, but now?

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:47 PM
NedKelly

I’ve honestly never spoken to a fan who thinks it works. That’s football fans in general btw, not just United fans. It has absolutely sucked the joy out of the game.

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:51 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Hmmmm, bit overly defensive there. I wasn’t at all suspicious that you had something to do with VAR, but now?
Believar

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:57 PM
silv

same in this game

any goal dissected to death

Unread 04-11-2023, 07:59 PM
Fat Al

You can't even celebrate your team scoring a penalty because some school prefect @#%&! will be checking that none of our players were a couple of microns over the line at the time the ball was struck.
The people opposed to VAR said this is what would happen. They were shouted down but they were £#%&!ing spot on.

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:05 PM
History

I'm also sick of these stupid @#%&!s whipping out the classic lines such as 'It's not the VAR its the person operating it'

VAR - Video Assistant REFEREE

Unless Chatpt fancies getting involved it will always be a human looking at a recording.

There is no longer any excuses for them being so shit. Where as before there was always the human element. As much as a player. OK they had a shit day today, it's literally sport. Everyone can have good and bad days. They only get 1 look at it. Move on.

Also the way Howard Webb is allowing which way the wind blows to dictate the way they ref also encourages this inconsistency. Coming out with statements such as 'The clubs we speak to do not expect the rules to be applied in this way' then completely changing the way they ref upcoming games.

E.g. That Ake goal for City - the next game ruling out Evans goal at Burnley.

Stick to your guns if that's how you're going to ref. Being so blatantly populist to appease to Talksport and Monday night football. Tail wagging the dog.

Then the tech they actually use to come to decisions is a £#%&!ing Joke. Using cameras provided by Sky £#%&!ing Sports running at 60fps manually selecting the 'correct' frame. For tight decisions there is no guarantee they are getting the decision right. None whatsoever.

Whats wrong with having a quick look at the linesman see that flag down and him running back to the centre to allow you to celebrate. Instead we have this cloud hanging over us to appease stakeholders, bookies and £#%&!ing boring stat obsessed virgins.

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:09 PM
Bunker Buster

Goal.line tech, rest can £#%&! off.....

That offside today with its own name call for Jenas to shout about.... subjective offside it's still a collective of people deciding their opinion to affect a game .....

They are wrong, loads of times...

It's not football, it's not happening up and down the country on fields every week pulling in 100's of kids and adults....

I prefer under 11's football before the preamier league MOST weekends....

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:11 PM
ZiggyStardust

Most football fans hate it

IMO it’s the worst thing to ever happen to the sport however it’s not going to be gotten rid of as the media created the idea that we needed it and they’ll keep it in place at least until viewing figures start to get seriously affected by it

Broadcasters probably like the controversy it creates

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:11 PM
Dr Stranger

You know it’s shit when we get Carling Cup games and everyone is glad it’s not there.

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:13 PM
lenin

I think PGMOL being bent is a bigger issue. Not that I’m a fan of VAR.

Leaving aside the weekly shafting that United get, that’s two weeks on the bounce that the refs have gifted Newcastle a goal.

There’s clearly Arab influence and I suspect the arrangement for them to referee games in the UAE is the mechanism for it.

Michael Oliver’s hotel room will have a bag of cash and the finest Arab @#%&!s waiting for him.

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:14 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Most football fans hate it

IMO it’s the worst thing to ever happen to the sport however it’s not going to be gotten rid of as the media created the idea that we needed it and they’ll keep it in place at least until viewing figures start to get seriously affected by it

100%.

They love it. They love their scandal and controversy and you can tell by how long they spend talking about it. I’m also sick of hearing from refs too.

“They should come out and explain themselves after the game”

No they shouldn’t. Dermot Gallagher, Peter Walton and Mike Dean being on the telly all the time is hideous and all they do is make excuses. Officials and officiating has become part of football as much as the game. They bring it on themselves. Reduce it. Fewer laws. Fewer interventions and stop talking about it every £#%&!ing week.

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:15 PM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Goal.line tech, rest can £#%&! off.....

That offside today with its own name call for Jenas to shout about.... subjective offside it's still a collective of people deciding their opinion to affect a game .....

They are wrong, loads of times...

It's not football, it's not happening up and down the country on fields every week pulling in 100's of kids and adults....

I prefer under 11's football before the preamier league MOST weekends....

Double goon?

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Finport Red

At the top level, football is no longer a sport, it’s ‘entertainment’. That requires storylines, unexpected and predetermined outcomes, controversy and all of it under the control of those that hold the purse strings.

Today’s goal incident, alongside that penalty sham last week, have convinced me that there is a corruption within the game that wasn’t there, and probably wasn’t possible before. VAR is a betting syndicate’s wet dream. That UAE employees can sit at its controls during a game that involves UAE’s team, is crazy.

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:33 PM
Mr_Ed

I think it’s added more controversy than it was supposed to stop. It’s ruining the game for me as I’m sure it is for everyone.

The fact refs or faceless people can go and change the course of a game with little or no accountability is worrying.

Unread 04-11-2023, 08:35 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Using cameras provided by Sky £#%&!ing Sports running at 60fps manually selecting the 'correct' frame. For tight decisions there is no guarantee they are getting the decision right. None whatsoever.
I have been saying this for years now. Who egts to decide the right frame? How do we know the ball has "left" the foot of the player who has played the pass for an offside? It's all so unscientific and clears nothing up, yet we're constantly hit over the head with phrases about this being "technology". It's fallible as £#%&!. So are referees in the moment of course but that's fine imho. The strength of a referee's character was a great part of the game. A human element. Can they withstand the pressure of Anfield or will they buckle? Give me that scenario over some contrived and manufactured controversy week on week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
It is so blatant that ex pros are worded up to not speak out against it. The only person I've seen in recent weeks say scrap it was the bird on Gary Neville's podcast!