United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 08-02-2024, 06:10 PM
Patty_b

Default IFAB set to introduce blue cards for football sin bins

Blue cards in football? Lawmakers set to introduce trials for 10-minute sin bins

Quote:
In the trials, referees will have the power to send players off for 10 minutes for dissent or cynical fouls.

According to The Times, The Football Association will consider trialling sin bins in the FA Cup and Women's FA Cup next season.
They're enough of a mess as it is with only 2 cards at their disposal. Giving them three is just insane.

Unread 08-02-2024, 06:12 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b View Post
Blue cards in football? Lawmakers set to introduce trials for 10-minute sin bins

They're enough of a mess as it is with only 2 cards at their disposal. Giving them three is just insane.
Heard this yesterday, and my first thought was how much easier it will be to ‘influence’ the results of games.

Unread 08-02-2024, 06:17 PM
Fat Al

There wouldn't be a need for this if the refs correctly & consistently applied the current laws of the game.

Unread 08-02-2024, 06:19 PM
Spock

just go like rugby, if its worthy of a yellow then 10 mins sin bin, easy

Unread 08-02-2024, 06:23 PM
Ethers

I think it’s a good idea tbf if implemented properly. Big if though.

Unread 08-02-2024, 06:47 PM
Vedder

Terrible idea. It won’t work in football. 10 mins down to 10 is no biggie if anything it’ll just encourage teams to time waste for 10 mins or put everyone behind the ball. They’re making the sport £#%&!ing unwatchable at this point.

Unread 08-02-2024, 06:47 PM
larry

it's a terrible idea

Unread 08-02-2024, 06:51 PM
TreeFiddy

Dalot to be sin binned for 90 mins.

Unread 08-02-2024, 07:01 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
Terrible idea. It won’t work in football. 10 mins down to 10 is no biggie if anything it’ll just encourage teams to time waste for 10 mins or put everyone behind the ball. They’re making the sport £#%&!ing unwatchable at this point.
Ten minutes with a player less is no biggie? Okay

Unread 08-02-2024, 07:37 PM
Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers View Post
Ten minutes with a player less is no biggie? Okay
It’s not. It is in rugby but like I said you can easily time waste for a lot of that. Can easily just chuck everyone behind the ball for 10 mins, what’s stopping the team with 10 taking the ball in the corner flag and time wasting? All it does is encourage negative football. A team can easily survive 10 mins ffs

Unread 08-02-2024, 08:06 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
It’s not. It is in rugby but like I said you can easily time waste for a lot of that. Can easily just chuck everyone behind the ball for 10 mins, what’s stopping the team with 10 taking the ball in the corner flag and time wasting? All it does is encourage negative football. A team can easily survive 10 mins ffs
So you think teams are going to carry on committing cynical fouls, or dissenting the ref, knowing that as a consequence they will “just” have to give up any hope of attacking for 10 minutes by time wasting or keeping the ball in the corner?

That’s utter nonsense, it’s a big disadvantage, especially if it happens several times a match, and teams will do their best to avoid it.

Unread 08-02-2024, 08:12 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy View Post
Dalot to be sin binned for 90 mins.
hopefully

Unread 08-02-2024, 08:26 PM
Finport Red

You’d wonder how football managed to get popular those first hundred years or so, without this, var, handball and offside rules that nobody understands or implements properly.

What’s wrong with the current system where nobody in the league gets carded for dissent except dalot and Bruno?

Terrible, stupid and pointless idea. Sin bin in the bin, for me Brian.

Unread 08-02-2024, 08:56 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post
You’d wonder how football managed to get popular those first hundred years or so, without this, var, handball and offside rules that nobody understands or implements properly.

What’s wrong with the current system where nobody in the league gets carded for dissent except dalot and Bruno?

when and why did they decide to start £#%&!ing around so much? none of the changes are improving the game

Unread 08-02-2024, 09:35 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post

100% this. Why add another variable to a job (refereeing) that they already can’t do properly. Might work in a different world where refs actually do a decent job.

Unread 08-02-2024, 09:42 PM
Sparky***

Another terrible idea.

Unread 09-02-2024, 01:46 PM
wiganste

Over 70% of Michael Oliver's card for dissent have been issued to United players, including the ridiculous sending off of Dalot.

The game is already going to shit. This is another nail in the coffin.

JUST LEAVE IT ALONE YOU @#%&!S

Unread 09-02-2024, 02:49 PM
silv

£#%&!ing blue card for £#%&! sake.

what a joke

Unread 09-02-2024, 03:52 PM
red red robbo

From what I've read elsewhere it seems to pretty much be the equivalent of a yellow, in that two blues = off, a yellow and a blue = off. So why not just sinbin players for a yellow (Actually, it's in the link quite near the top but I didn't bother reading it, something I probably have in common with a few who have responded )

I'm not in favour of the sin bin at all, and it's introduction will inevitably lead to the used of the phrase "power play" on MotD , but if you're going to do it, don't add extra complexity to a game whose understanding is clearly already beyond many players, refs and even managers

Unread 09-02-2024, 04:52 PM
larry

the more control refs demand (to match fix because they're poorly paid) the more likely we are to see genuine player on ref violence, and i don't mean a little push
be careful what you wish for