United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-11-2023, 01:48 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Be better when they get stripped of it then.
Yeah will love watching them win another title. May even join in with the celebrations.

Unread 30-11-2023, 01:50 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Yeah will love watching them win another title. May even join in with the celebrations.
That’s what he said yep.

Unread 30-11-2023, 01:54 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
What celebrations? Literally no one gives a shit

Unread 30-11-2023, 02:06 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Nobody cares, do they? It means £#%&! all. It'll mean something if Liverpool win it though

Unread 30-11-2023, 09:10 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Nobody cares, do they? It means £#%&! all. It'll mean something if Liverpool win it though
No love whatsoever for the goonors but it would be the least of all evils if they manage to win it & then hopfuly in 2025 United get their hands on it again for the 1st time in 12 years

Unread 30-11-2023, 09:32 PM
Fat Al

I can't wait that long.

£#%&! innocent until proven guilty. It's City. GUILTY!

Unread 30-11-2023, 09:47 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
I can't wait that long.

£#%&! innocent until proven guilty. It's City. GUILTY!

"If you say 'just a fine and 20 points deduction' one more time....."

Unread 01-12-2023, 11:04 AM
Sparky***

Have a look at this. The actions of a completely innocent club obviously

Unread 01-12-2023, 11:12 AM
Whip Hubley

It's basically at the stage where if they don't get relegated (and I very much doubt the EFL would have them, so down to the lower leagues it is) the PL will just be seen as an abslolute farce.

I cannot possibly see how they can escape, other than the tactics mentioned (time delaying) and lots of envelopes.

All the rest of the league really needs is that they be relegated, for then every single trophy they've won under that regime will essentially be devalued and have an asterisk next to it, and they'll be forever known as cheats. Fans, at the very least, will never forget it at every game they ever play. Players will leave and they'll be finished.

The PL absolutely has to use them as an example or the league will be seen as the plaything of foreign regimes (which it sort of is already).

Unread 01-12-2023, 11:30 AM
red red robbo

I don't understand why the very first bullet point, refusing to disclose documents to the governing body, doesn't result in their immediate expulsion.

And if that isn't possible under the rules now, they should change the rules so it is in future.

By all means, attempt to defend your actions with all the evidence laid bare, and see where that goes, but refusing to hand over evidence is wrong in and of itself and could easily be a separate investigation started immediately.

Unread 01-12-2023, 11:57 AM
Jethro

The replies to that thread. My god they're the thickest fan base on earth.

Unread 01-12-2023, 12:18 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Have a look at this. The actions of a completely innocent club obviously

https://x.com/swedishrumble/status/1...Tig51Y-d5izVYA
It's not even a question of 'if' anymore is it? It's just "how bad?".

Disgusting club.

Unread 01-12-2023, 02:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
I don't understand why the very first bullet point, refusing to disclose documents to the governing body, doesn't result in their immediate expulsion.

And if that isn't possible under the rules now, they should change the rules so it is in future.

By all means, attempt to defend your actions with all the evidence laid bare, and see where that goes, but refusing to hand over evidence is wrong in and of itself and could easily be a separate investigation started immediately.
Their blanket response is that they're "completely innocent". Really? Completely innocent parties don't usually deliberately delay their day in court and drag the process out for years.

I honestly can't see them being expelled from the premier league, there's too much power, money and influence behind them. The kind of people who own the City group have extremely powerful friends and can buy their way out of pretty much any predicament.

If they get punished it'll be a relative slap on the wrist when considering their crimes, or they'll get away with it all together.

Unread 01-12-2023, 02:32 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Their blanket response is that they're "completely innocent". Really? Completely innocent parties don't usually deliberately delay their day in court and drag the process out for years.

I honestly can't see them being expelled from the premier league, there's too much power, money and influence behind them. The kind of people who own the City group have extremely powerful friends and can buy their way out of pretty much any predicament.

If they get punished it'll be a relative slap on the wrist when considering their crimes, or they'll get away with it all together.
Nah, they've paid ridiculous amounts of money on legal fees to delay the process as much and for as long as they can because they have absolutely nothing to hide and have not done anything wrong.

And agreed that it will be a slap on the wrist, face-saving handshakes all round.

Unread 01-12-2023, 03:33 PM
red red robbo

Quote:

Even if they were completely innocent, they've still broken the rules in terms of disclosure and that should attract a serious punishment in and of itself. Easier to prove as well. Would go a long way to showing the PL's intent to see this through properly if that was dealt with early.

Unread 01-12-2023, 04:53 PM
larry

do they need to prove where the millions they're spending on legal fees has come from? not sure division 2 city could have afforded it tbh

Unread 01-12-2023, 09:04 PM
Dacter

They’ll probably just get asked to give a very quick apology and then we’ll say no more about it

Unread 01-12-2023, 09:33 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Even if they were completely innocent, they've still broken the rules in terms of disclosure and that should attract a serious punishment in and of itself. Easier to prove as well. Would go a long way to showing the PL's intent to see this through properly if that was dealt with early.
Quote:
Chuck in fines and points deductions, plus five more years of dissolution of the collective will. How strong do we feel? How united is a Premier League where the generational champions are at war with their own governing body? Maybe this is just where the story was always heading, a league that kept opening its door to every passing caller, and that ends up hostage to its own greed. Let the right one in.

Then again, what is the most likely outcome? I remain deeply sceptical that football, which exists within an absurdly self-important bubble, will get to decide free from any outside influence how this thing plays out. This isn’t Truther-style don’t-trust-the-government stuff. It’s the opposite. Do trust the government to keep behaving as governments always have.

Manchester City is not a football club in this context. It is an arm of a highly influential nation state, with whom the UK did £25bn of trade last year. Two years ago the UAE, led by Abu Dhabi’s state fund Mubadala, agreed a multibillion-pound investment in British infrastructure. The chief executive of Mubadala, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, is also chairman of Manchester City.

The same year the UK prime minister met Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, deputy supreme commander of the UAE armed forces to agree a key defence pact. Sheikh Mohamed’s brother is Sheikh Mansour, the de facto owner of Manchester City. Er. Can we have a word old bean, about this soccer stuff?
Read the last two paragraphs. Absolutely nothing of any substance will happen to them. Levers will be pulled, politicians will be leaned on and palms will be crossed with silver to make sure any punishment is minimal.

Trust me. They aren't a football club, just remember that. They are an asset of a middle eastern oil state.

Unread 01-12-2023, 10:42 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Read the last two paragraphs. Absolutely nothing of any substance will happen to them. Levers will be pulled, politicians will be leaned on and palms will be crossed with silver to make sure any punishment is minimal.

Trust me. They aren't a football club, just remember that. They are an asset of a middle eastern oil state.
Except, one possibly overlooked impact of stalling the case is that there may be a different government in charge by then. One that wasn't involved in the negotiations.

It's a slim hope I know, but if the PL don't do something fairly heavy handed then they are accepting that they have lost control and clubs can do as they please.

Unread 01-12-2023, 10:43 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Except, one possibly overlooked impact of stalling the case is that there may be a different government in charge by then. One that wasn't involved in the negotiations.

It's a slim hope I know, but if the PL don't do something fairly heavy handed then they are accepting that they have lost control and clubs can do as they please.
Not all clubs. Just one the ones owned by states.

The rest, as everton found out, will be punished.
Closed Thread