United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:14 PM
dinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
There's a lot to sort out when you're signing a (potential) superstar. Not sure how much of this is remembered now, but the Pogba unveiling & process was a complete joke. We had him mincing about with Stormzy etc & then I honestly think it was all hilariously screwed up when one of the girls who washes the kit got a selfie with him & sent it to her kid / grandson or something. Anyway, we formally announced him on Twitter at 00:30 on a Tuesday

Interesting article here about it.

There can be no denying Utd like to make a splash when signing a new player & Ed absolutely likes the online chatter to boost the brand. No such thing as bad press etc.

It's gone on long enough though now, surely... any day now if it is happening.
Or another possibility could be that after his "Now's not the time to talk about recruitment" chat yesterday its obvious Woodward has told him theres no Fernandes signing happening & make do with what he has

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:15 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
You're wrong mate, your extrapolating something that isn't even there instead of actually reading the actual comment quoted.

Move on back to Fernandes.
He's not wrong. It's exactly what I meant. Doesn't matter.

Can we just sign this Fernandes character and get some optimism back (for me anyway)?

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:18 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Or another possibility could be that after his "Now's not the time to talk about recruitment" chat yesterday its obvious Woodward has told him theres no Fernandes signing happening & make do with what he has
Sounds right to me. Playing hardball, walking away in the hope they're desperate for cash and resurrect it at the price we're prepared to pay.

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:19 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger

Maybe. Maybe Ole's not interested in feeding the media anything. Sort of his mentors MO so wouldn't surprise me.

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:29 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Reads like a forum who's who on this side of the fence tbh. Some serious og top boy shit including the current FOTY and past winners. You look across and £#%&!ing hell fire, it’s desolate shit. Flounced name changers and one ‘I’ll count all the foty votes thank you very much....oh look I’m the winner’ foty ‘winner’ and an assortment of lads you’d find in that bar in Star Wars.
Harsh on Corrigan

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Sounds right to me. Playing hardball, walking away in the hope they're desperate for cash and resurrect it at the price we're prepared to pay.
AKA good Business posturing.....

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
AKA good Business posturing.....

Ending up with nothing..

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Ending up with nothing..
We'll get this done.....

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:50 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
There's a lot to sort out when you're signing a (potential) superstar. Not sure how much of this is remembered now, but the Pogba unveiling & process was a complete joke. We had him mincing about with Stormzy etc & then I honestly think it was all hilariously screwed up when one of the girls who washes the kit got a selfie with him & sent it to her kid / grandson or something. Anyway, we formally announced him on Twitter at 00:30 on a Tuesday

Interesting article here about it.

There can be no denying Utd like to make a splash when signing a new player & Ed absolutely likes the online chatter to boost the brand. No such thing as bad press etc.

It's gone on long enough though now, surely... any day now if it is happening.
if we do sign him, I sincerely hope we don't have any nonsense like this or the £#%&!ing piano business.

Straightforward press conference and a few scarf shots on the pitch are fine. Any form of showiness beyond that is simply wrong, and besides that, welcoming any new signing like they are the second coming is a very, very bad idea for all kinds of reasons. If you check out the ads on MUTV, you'll see Pogba is still being held up very much as a god-like figure. It's disgusting. As if he wasn't hard enough to manage.

Unread 22-01-2020, 05:55 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
if we do sign him, I sincerely hope we don't have any nonsense like this or the £#%&!ing piano business.

Straightforward press conference and a few scarf shots on the pitch are fine. Any form of showiness beyond that is simply wrong, and besides that, welcoming any new signing like they are the second coming is a very, very bad idea for all kinds of reasons. If you check out the ads on MUTV, you'll see Pogba is still being held up very much as a god-like figure. It's disgusting. As if he wasn't hard enough to manage.
He can do a live parachute from space streamed across the world as long as he signs.

Unread 22-01-2020, 06:38 PM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs up

Quote:
The players he's got rid of are either lacking the attributes he wants (Lukaku / Fellaini / other assorted lumps) or aren't here for the right reasons (Alexis Sanchez) or are old & needed to go (Valencia / Young etc)

Either way, it's a genuinely hefty clear out, one that should have been undertaken over the last 5 years, let alone the 13 months he's been here. Less than a year of that as permanent manager.

He's clearly got respect for the United youth program, but not to a fault where we just churn out a team of kids every week. There's a balance. Plenty have had their chance, those that didn't seize it have been sent back, but still, we're infinitely more interested in implementing this principle than Mourinho was for example.

Our front three have scored about the same as the Scouse front three, that's surely encouraging? It's by no means any kind of endorsement of carrying on as we are, we clearly need a no.9 & a world class right sided forward (Sancho pls) but Ole can get them playing & we ripped City apart at theirs with a squad that is clearly inferior.

Ole needs to build his authority, needs to have the squad shaped to his will (same as Pep has done, same as Klopp, same as Poch did etc) & that takes more than one summer window.

Any of those managers had to deal with such a dearth of quality the moment they joined a club?
Absolutely spot on as per.

Unread 22-01-2020, 07:46 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Liverpool have a similar set of yank idiots in charge, haven't won a trophy since 2012 or something... and hello they employ Jurgen Klopp and suddenly within 5 years they're the best team in europe. Did they change owners in that time? no.
5 years, you say?

Quote:
One thing that is absolutely true, is that whoever replaced Ole tomorrow would be in more or less the same position this time next year and you'd be screaming for their head.

Success isn't coming back for quite some time.
Unless the manager is realistic and takes a long term approach based on the realism of the situation. Which is pretty much what ole is doing when he talks of a 3 year plan. Things are developing, but it won’t be as fast as at a club like city who can have a 20 player turnover in 12 months. Of course, this assumes woodward and the glazers are on board with ole’s plan, rather than just tightening the belt and treading water until they can sell or regain some financial flexibility after numerous years of maxing the credit card with nothing to show for it.

Some fans just turn on the manager after 12 months if there hasn’t been a transformation into the busby babes inside that time period. Happened with every manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
We've been doing that since LvG was here.
Which is why they can’t do it as much now - both in terms of not having the financial flexibility due to that period, and due to the wage bill being maxed out and it being difficult to sell because the club won’t take the hit. The mismanagement to get into that situation has f***ed clubs for years in the past.

Long term cohesive plan and sticking to it is the only way we’re ever getting good under the glazers. Ole’s doing a very good job, in reality. I’d say better than van gaal and mourinho, because of the longer term view and being realistic, along with his man management seemingly being far better. And Van gaal had a far better situation, as the club had more financial flexibility.

Quote:
Get a better manager.
#@&%!.

Guardiola wouldn’t last 2 minutes, which should tell you something.

Quote:
Look i'm willing to concede that the manager is doing everything it appears with the most incompetent ceo in the league above his head.... but that doesn't mean I can look past Solkjaer's obvious shortcomings as a manager.
You haven’t a clue about ole’s management. Nor the coaching. Nor the dynamics inside the dressing room. What are you, 6?

Unread 22-01-2020, 08:13 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Neither does he so that makes two of us.
A #@&%!’s answer. Or maybe you are 6.

Unread 22-01-2020, 08:15 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
A #@&%!’s answer. Or maybe you are 6.
LOLZ

tell us all again how Liverpool won't win the league

Let's not fight. PM me for a cuddle x

Unread 22-01-2020, 09:12 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
if we do sign him, I sincerely hope we don't have any nonsense like this or the f***ing piano business.

Wait till bellingham signs and theyll do a big peaky blinders announcement

Unread 22-01-2020, 10:35 PM
Hands of Scone

Apropos of nothing

Unread 22-01-2020, 10:54 PM
windy waffles

I'm hearing that we are only in for Fernandes now because Poch wanted him in the summer...

Unread 22-01-2020, 10:56 PM
AK14

Quote:
I'm hearing that we are only in for Fernandes now because Poch wanted him in the summer...
Mentioned that quite a few days ago pal..

Unread 22-01-2020, 10:58 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Mentioned that quite a few days ago pal..

Unread 22-01-2020, 11:09 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
You keep defending Ole pal...
Closed Thread