Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:01 PM
koppas

Thumbs down Well, I'll admit I was wrong about Carrick

We certainly missed him today.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Filliam H. Muffman

This match proves that Carrick is shit and we don't need him.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Whalefish

Of course it does.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:07 PM
tatty

He was a prospect at WH but didn't progress like he should have at Spurs. For me he was largely ineffectual at whl and drew comparisons in my mind with a poor mans Ray Wilkins.

Since arriving at OT he's done nothing to change my impression of him except perhaps to downgrade him to a 'Fletcher with a cherry on top'.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
He was a prospect at WH but didn't progress like he should have at Spurs. For me he was largely ineffectual at whl and drew comparisons in my mind with a poor mans Ray Wilkins.

Since arriving at OT he's done nothing to change my impression of him except perhaps to downgrade him to a 'Fletcher with a cherry on top'.
Knowing some of the Spurs staff as I do he most certainly did step up after a fairly slow start to his career there. They still miss him. Jol still isn't happy Levy agreed to the sale they're losing games now because in his opinion they don't keep the ball as well as they used to. Carrick was one of the main reasons for this. Woudl largely go about his business unnoticed but was very effective at what he was asked to do.

We need 4 good solid central midfield options. At the moment we currently have two - Carrick and Scholes. We desperately need one in January. It won't happen though. I'm hopeful Gibson will become the fourth soon enough.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Tiberian

Scholes missed Carrick. Fletcher rarely gave him a passing option, because of this he got very little space to use his passing ability which led to a lack of service up to Saha and Giggs.

Carrick is a good footballer, but i can not help thinking that Hargreaves would be a better match to our team with his energy and aggression. Carrick always plays the same way, does not tailor his game to suit the conditions of the match, if we are struggling he will stay in his comfort zone and play the same way. Great players can change games, Carrick has shown no sign of having that in his game.

Still a good player, and if you watched Fletcher today then you would see how much we will miss Carrick.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Whalefish

Hargreaves would be a good addition. Gets stuck in, energetic and can take a decent set piece. The only part of his game which lets him down is his passing. Can be a bit erratic. Still, I'll be quite happy if he comes such a pity it won't be in January. We need a midfielder then, can't afford to wait until the next window IMO.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:18 PM
tatty

Without doubt our most pressing need is for an aggressive midfielder and we're going to have problems if fergie doesn't bring one in in january.

We have a number of players who can drop into that creative mf role but for the first time since Robson signed we're lacking a battler and it'll show sooner or later.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Whalefish

Agree Tatty. Just think Carrick is a good midfield option to have and he and Scholes have done well enough so far. At the top end though - IMO - that partnership will struggle because despite all of their qualities neither are a battler as you say.

A pity Gattuso turned us down in the Summer tbh and Lille priced us out of a bid for Makoun. Good alternatives to Hargreaves.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:24 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Knowing some of the Spurs staff as I do he most certainly did step up after a fairly slow start to his career there. They still miss him. Jol still isn't happy Levy agreed to the sale they're losing games now because in his opinion they don't keep the ball as well as they used to. Carrick was one of the main reasons for this. Woudl largely go about his business unnoticed but was very effective at what he was asked to do.

We need 4 good solid central midfield options. At the moment we currently have two - Carrick and Scholes. We desperately need one in January. It won't happen though. I'm hopeful Gibson will become the fourth soon enough.

Are you Fergie or something Whaley?

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Are you Fergie or something Whaley?
Nope. I am Spartacus.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Rhodzy

im with whaley on this, whats with the carrick hating

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodzy
im with whaley on this, whats with the carrick hating

Its the in the thing to give United players stick nowadays.£#%&!ing pathetic but it seems to be the way now.

Dunno what happened to the old thing of supporting the shirts no matter what.

Most people that have a clue about football can see exactly what Carrick brings to the team.I think Fergie also knows better than a few clowns on a message board.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Fatboy Shrek

People that are still slating Carrick are absolutely clueless. "It's all about opinions", yes, but you're still clueless.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:43 PM
ralph

Fergie on the radio just now saying that Carrick should be fit for the Reading game

I think he's done well this season, his passing is simple and effective and he normally does a good job energy wise and tracking back.

People who slate him all the time do not understand the nuances of the game

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:43 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filliam H. Muffman
So what ?

He's still a good signing, 4 million, 14 or 18, it doesn't matter. We're still in shitloads of debt.
That does put it in perspective I suppose, although if you take it to it's admittedly illogical conclusion we may aswell be blowing £300m a season.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Furthermore, with the sale of Mikel and Ruud, one might argue that the Carrick purchase was a bargain. We haven't actually spent a penny this season.

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:50 PM
ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filliam H. Muffman
Furthermore, with the sale of Mikel and Ruud, one might argue that the Carrick purchase was a bargain. We haven't actually spent a penny this season.

Let's hope we don't spend a penny next season too. Excellent financing

Unread 23-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph
Let's hope we don't spend a penny next season too. Excellent financing
Hehe, I won't be surprised.

Unread 23-12-2006, 06:03 PM
MUFC One Love

WUM?

Are you saying Fletcher was better than Carrick?

Did you watch the game?

We had nine men, Giggs and Fletcher were £#%&!ing useless, Fletcher's first touch was horrid and he was doing his usual bounding about like a @#%&! getting no-where.

Thought we got out of jail today, tbh.
Closed Thread