2. Us/Barca/Milan
3. Boca/River/Bayern/Inter/Liverpool/Juventus
4. Marseille/Feyenoord/Sao Paulo/Roma
probly have Benfica and Ajax above Marseille

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:48 PM
penguin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantona's collar
They where seen as Europe's habitual under achievers up until last seasons Champions League win, when you look at the players you named you have to ask why they have failed to dominate in Europe (European Cup).

Their fan base isn't astronomical like Real's, ours and the scouse @#%&!s either.
Eh ? When was the vermin's fanbase ever 'astronomical ' ? Their best ever season was 76-77, when they almost did THE treble. Their home average for that season was approx 45,000. And that with pay-on-the-gate entrance of ca £2-5. Truly pathetic.

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Cantona's collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle_like_sharpey
okay let's call that their "top 5".

does that list

rush, dalglish, souness, owen, gerrard

compare with these

best, law, charlton, robson, cantona

kocsis, cruyff, maradona, romario, figo

di stefano, puskas, kopa, zidane, raul

van basten, baresi, maldini, rivera, weah

j charles, platini, zidane, del piero, zoff
Not in my opinion no, but on medals won yes.

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Grimson

South America is a big place with a lot of people, and the truth is, if you go anywhere there with a Boca or River jersey on, everyone will know who it is. Not so for a Bayern/Juve/Ajax/Liverpool.

I'm not saying that makes either of them the biggest club in the world, or even in the top 10, but they should be in the mix if you are really talking about the world, and not just Europe.

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:50 PM
penguin1

SHOULD READ :-

1. Real Madrid (just)
2. Us/Barca/Milan

5. Boca/River/Bayern/Inter/Liverpool/Juventus

11. Marseille/Feyenoord/Sao Paulo/Roma

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Cantona's collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin1
Eh ? When was the vermin's fanbase ever 'astronomical ' ? Their best ever season was 76-77, when they almost did THE treble. Their home average for that season was approx 45,000. And that with pay-on-the-gate entrance of ca £2-5. Truly pathetic.
The scouse @#%&!s have one of the biggest fan bases in world football, have a check how many supporters clubs they have world wide, a couple of seasons ago they had more supporters clubs than we did.

I need a shower now, i feel all dirty

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Tierra Del Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
South America is a big place with a lot of people, and the truth is, if you go anywhere there with a Boca or River jersey on, everyone will know who it is. Not so for a Bayern/Juve/Ajax/Liverpool.

I'm not saying that makes either of them the biggest club in the world, or even in the top 10, but they should be in the mix if you are really talking about the world, and not just Europe.
Boca and Reeeever should both be in top 10 IMO

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:

Without ever having sat down and thought about the criteria, I had always presumed if one club could snatch a player in his prime from another club then the former is bigger than the latter. It was a subconcious presumption I can only apologise for and try never to repeat again.

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:53 PM
M46Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin1
SHOULD READ :-

1. Real Madrid (just)
2. Us/Barca/Milan

5. Boca/River/Bayern/Inter/Liverpool/Juventus

11. Marseille/Feyenoord/Sao Paulo/Roma
Pedantic? Maybe I'm bracketing them.

Tiarra, you get the idea, yes you probably could put Benfica and Ajax in the fourth bracket.

Anyway unless you're choosing a specific deciding factor, it's pretty much subjective.

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Juve struggle to fill their stadium. That's got to knock them down a notch or two.

River have 32 league titles to Boca's 22. Boca have a bigger worldwide fanbase though, because of Diego.
Those league titles are equivelent to League 1 trophys. £#%&!in shit standard, hence the domination of the 2 clubs. Bit like Celtic and Rangers.

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Tierra Del Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
Those league titles are equivelent to League 1 trophys. £#%&!in shit standard, hence the domination of the 2 clubs. Bit like Celtic and Rangers.
especially with estudiantes winning it this year.

Unread 29-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Without ever having sat down and thought about the criteria, I had always presumed if one club could snatch a player in his prime from another club then the former is bigger than the latter. It was a subconcious presumption I can only apologise for and try never to repeat again.
That's just the financial criterion though, not the fanbase/recognition one. Villareal can buy from Boca, but Boca have a much bigger fanbase and worldwide recognition. If you've heard of Diego Maradona, you've heard of Boca Juniors.

Unread 29-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Grimson

Quote:
It's not a shit standard, and the dominance of Boca and River is nothing at all like Celtic and Rangers, who have won every single Scottish title for the last two decades or something. In that same spell, half a dozen clubs in Argentina have won league titles.

So other than that, your post was very informed.

Unread 29-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
It's not a shit standard, and the dominance of Boca and River is nothing at all like Celtic and Rangers, who have won every single Scottish title for the last two decades or something. In that same spell, half a dozen clubs in Argentina have won league titles.

So other than that, your post was very informed.
Mate, some of the standard of defending in that league is absolute abysmal to say the least!

Unread 29-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Mate, some of the standard of defending in that league is absolute abysmal to say the least!
And yet the goals-per-game average is roughly the same as the top European leagues.

Not having a go, but where do you live that allows you to watch La Primera games?

Unread 29-05-2007, 09:15 PM
penguin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantona's collar
The scouse @#%&!s have one of the biggest fan bases in world football, have a check how many supporters clubs they have world wide, a couple of seasons ago they had more supporters clubs than we did.

I need a shower now, i feel all dirty
Do you honestly believe all that ? One scouser in e.g. Shanghai writes to LFC with permission to found a fan club there, signs up a few unwitting locals, hey presto, he's guaranteed an allocation for all the BIG games--he won't be arsed to go to Boro away.
I believe bums-on-seats figures ONLY ( and in the past, terrace numbers. ). They are outnumbered by Barcodes.

ipso facto, they are not a big club.

Unread 29-05-2007, 09:15 PM
UnitedRoad

Default Biggest clubs in the world

easily

Real Madrid
Manchester United
Barcelona
Juventus
Inter Milan
AC Milan
Bayern Munich
Liverpool
Ajax
Chelsea (reputation already huge now because of money and players in squad)

Go to any country and you are likely to see, on sale in the streets, Madrid, Barca, Utd, Juve, Inter, AC replica shirts. Also the NATIONAL shirts of Brazil and Argentina, but not the club sides..

but Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world, it's pretty much inarguable. But United are a clear second.

Unread 29-05-2007, 09:18 PM
penguin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M46Red
Pedantic? Maybe I'm bracketing them.

Tiarra, you get the idea, yes you probably could put Benfica and Ajax in the fourth bracket.

Anyway unless you're choosing a specific deciding factor, it's pretty much subjective.
Makes no difference. If you're on 282 after day 4 of the Open, with Tiger winning it on 280, and a group of 3 on 281, you came 5th.

Unread 29-05-2007, 09:19 PM
penguin1

Default ...............

' Originally Posted by Grimson View Post
Juve struggle to fill their stadium. '

Ahem, so do a certain murkeyside team.
Closed Thread