United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM
bicyclerepairman

Default we are the biggest club in the world[so i've been told]

growing up watching united on an old b/w telly in the sixties, i was aware even back then that united were thought of as being special.
everyone had heard of united.
we've all heard the story about countless people living in non-english speaking countries only knowing 2 words in english, 'bobby charlton!'
then again there was georgie best who also caused people around the world to notice manchester united.

i've always been aware that united are the biggest, the greatest, the most popular and most famous club in the world. i just wonder if that is still the case?
if it isn't, then when did things start to change?
how can we get back to the top?

in the past when i heard someone on the box refer to united being the greatest, it felt fine, it felt like the truth.
however the last few years i've been a little uncomfortable when hearing it. thats because in my view we have slipped in the pecking order.

the term 'the greatest' probably means different things to different people.
are real madrid a bigger and greater team because they've won the european cup more than us, or are there other things that contribute to a team being 'the greatest?'
have we had our fun in the sun, is our turn over now, will we end up similar to how liverpool have been the last few seasons?

Unread 03-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Old Mathers

£#%&! off
No one is in the mood today

Unread 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclerepairman
growing up watching united on an old b/w telly in the sixties, i was aware even back then that united were thought of as being special.
we've all heard the story about countless people living in non-english speaking countries only knowing 2 words in english, 'bobby charlton!'
then again there was georgie best who also caused people around the world to notice manchester united.

i've always been aware that united are the biggest, the greatest, the most popular and most famous club in the world. i just wonder if that is still the case?

in the past when i heard someone on the box refer to united being the greatest, it felt fine, it felt like the truth.
however the last few years i've been a little uncomfortable when hearing it. thats because in my view we have slipped in the pecking order.

are real madrid a bigger and greater team because they've won the european cup more than us, or are there other things that contribute to a team being 'the greatest?'
have we had our fun in the sun, is our turn over now, will we end up similar to how liverpool have been the last few seasons?

Unread 03-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Pop

Utd wouldn't register as a pimple on Real Madrids big fat arse.

Unread 03-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Tumescent Throb

when United went to Real in the 50s and 60s they were in awe of the place, the team, the whole thing.

all that's happened over the last decade or so is that Real (and Barca) are on our teles and in our faces a lot more.

the same rules still apply, the same teams are still the giants of European football, and United are still very much one of them.

people mock the idea that United are biggest club in the world, as if United have just made it up out of nowhere which certainly is far from the truth.

Unread 03-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
when United went to Real in the 50s and 60s they were in awe of the place, the team, the whole thing.

all that's happened over the last decade or so is that Real (and Barca) are on our teles and in our faces a lot more.

the same rules still apply, the same teams are still the giants of European football, and United are still very much one of them.

people mock the idea that United are biggest club in the world, as if United have just made it up out of nowhere which certainly is far from the truth.

It depends what your barometers are, obviously - in terms of income and support, absolutely we are and have been for a long time. But we've never really been the biggest in the world in terms of player pulling power, and that's never been a problem before because of the players we have had come through from the youth system (amongst many other factors).

But episodes like this summer certainly don't help matters, I'd like to think we'd conduct our affairs with a bit of grace and integrity.

Unread 03-09-2013, 10:53 AM
ryanMUFC

United could be the biggest club in the world on every level under different owners. I've always admired how Madrid make these massive signings and unveil them into a half full stadium and then market the £#%&! out of it all and sell loads of shirts.

Unread 03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
ericcantona

United have never dominated Europe like the truly biggest teams in the world have and that's a big factor IMO.

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclerepairman

Top username. Could you tell me the advantages of a rapid rise rear mech and external bottom bracket as compared to traditional ones?

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcantona
United have never dominated Europe like the truly biggest teams in the world have and that's a big factor IMO.
Until very, very recently the same thing could have been said about Barcelona but you wouldn't dispute them being a worldy club.

Plus they were doped up to the £#%&!in' eyeballs

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
United could be the biggest club in the world on every level under different owners. I've always admired how Madrid make these massive signings and unveil them into a half full stadium and then market the £#%&! out of it all and sell loads of shirts.
If Real Madrid were an English club they would have done a Leeds a long time ago. They are essentially bankrolled by the spanish government in one form or another which allows them to spend money without any real consequence. Having said that they are the biggest club in the world and are run by people who are relentless in their pursuit of making the football team successful.

They don't simply want the best players, they feel as Real Madrid they are entitled to them. It's an almighty arrogant attitude but it's what separates them from everyone else and it's why players generally fall over themselves to go there once they show interest.

Quote:
Our best ever side was killed otherwise you could add at least 3 more european cups to our total imho.

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:18 AM
ericcantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Until very, very recently the same thing could have been said about Barcelona but you wouldn't dispute them being a worldy club.

Plus they were doped up to the £#%&!in' eyeballs
That's the point though, they have dominated. United haven't. Not acceptable for a club this size.

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
That's the point though, they have dominated. United haven't. Not acceptable for a club this size.

I'm pretty sure that with Fellaini now we'll see a period of dominance to match Barca's

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Our best ever side was killed otherwise you could add at least 3 more european cups to our total imho.

Also a very fair point. But similarly, I think Fergie was missing at least another European Cup. She has a point when saying that for a club this size - we've been the most dominant domestic side in any of the top leagues for the last 20 years - we could and should have had more.

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:24 AM
believe

We're not even the richest club in Manchester.

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
It depends what your barometers are, obviously - in terms of income and support, absolutely we are and have been for a long time. But we've never really been the biggest in the world in terms of player pulling power, and that's never been a problem before because of the players we have had come through from the youth system (amongst many other factors).

But episodes like this summer certainly don't help matters, I'd like to think we'd conduct our affairs with a bit of grace and integrity.
all true

but I come back to the teams we've been trying to do business with and the fact that they can't keep their mouths shut

the summer transfer thing has always been full of tittle-tattle and media bullshit but it just gets worse with every passing season. Look at the David May summer. Or the Alan Smith summer

Actually, just have a look at 1998: You had United trying to flog Ole to Spurs, Kluivert turning down the chance to join and the media falling over themselves to print the tale, Gregory with his gun thing after United finally prised Yorke away, the PSV chairman whining in the English media about Stam as well (which he repeated in 2001 about RvN btw)... it's always a load of old %@#$&!s and I can't think for the life of me why people follow it with anything other than a passing interest. Why the £#%&! anyone would watch it as a rolling news event for hour upon hour on the last day of the 'window' is beyond me

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Chipsauce

If by biggest you mean the ability to sell shirts to kids living in the back end arse hole of some asian country...

Then yes we are HUUUUUUGE

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsauce
If by biggest you mean the ability to sell shirts to kids living in the back end arse hole of some asian country...

Then yes we are HUUUUUUGE

leave deepers out of this hey pal.

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:28 AM
ryanMUFC

Biggest club in England nqat. Obviously we're a bit light in the trophy cabinet when it comes to European trophies but my biggest club in the world we're obviously not talking about just trophies. It's the history and commercial appeal that sets us aside. I think in 2008 we were the biggest club in the world and the loss of tevez and ronaldo and replacing 2 stars with valencia and owen has made us suffer and lose appeal since, even though we have a new sponsor every month.

Unread 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM
bicyclerepairman

yeah for me its not judged solely on trophies won. if that were the case then the mighty brentford fc wouldn't be the massive european club that they are, would they?

i still hear pundits describing newcastle as a big club.

over the yrs i grew up in england, australia and nz, and if you'd ask someone back then in those countries to name a football team they would almost certainly of said united.
so we were really big back then as far as being the most well known.

yeah i also like the way real madrid unveils a player to thousands of screaming fans and making it a real special occasion. maybe its just not the english way of doing things like that?

something that has surprized me lately is in reading of players who choose to go to another club and turn down united. that wouldn't of happened as much years ago.

do you believe united can get back to the top of the food chain again?
Closed Thread