Unread 07-10-2016, 12:05 PM
forwardirektion

everton at home in 1983

Unread 07-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
Forest 1 - 8 Man Utd.

Friends were/are Forest season ticket holders. They went on holiday and gave us their tickets.

Loved it. Best club side/performance I've seen in real life.

It's easy to forget how different that team was to what had come before it in the English top divisions, particularly if you grew up in an era of Liverpool winning the league 1-0 with a goal from Ian Rush and a back passing to the goalkeeper performance that was just the done thing at the time.

Fullbacks that were as advanced and as attack minded as the wingers, ridiculously fast counter attacks started by the goal keeper and two strikers in Yorke/Cole that were almost literally on fire, exciting to watch.

Growing up in Notts all my friends are Forest so they've always taken the piss out of my supporting a 4th division team (as we were in the 80's). So sitting in their end watching their boys get absolutely b***h slapped remains one of my favourite football moments.
Or a last minute equaliser from the penalty spot courtesy of their biggest fan George Courtney or a 90th minute winner from super sub David Fairclough who rarely got a start but always pulled em out of the shit

Unread 07-10-2016, 01:04 PM
puressence

stockport county aug 30th 1978

Unread 07-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
stockport county aug 30th 1978
When you were 20? Shit red.

Unread 07-10-2016, 01:21 PM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Or a last minute equaliser from the penalty spot courtesy of their biggest fan George Courtney or a 90th minute winner from super sub David Fairclough who rarely got a start but always pulled em out of the shit
Don't want to get in to the territory of blowing smoke because of where I am etc, but that mid 90's Utd team genuinely did change the way the league could be won. It was much, much more attacking and for someone used to watching a fairly bog standard second division side week in week out, when I saw that Utd team take Forest apart it was an eye opener. Just the sheer number of players who would get forward it seemed like there was a spare man everywhere.

I had the chance to see the Barca side that had Rivaldo in it and that was a different experience for me in terms seeing first hand how a team's use of the ball was unstoppable, getting from defence to a goal scoring opportunity with just incredibly accurate passing and not much running, but that Utd side tended to be like a swarm of attacking intent. No surprise so many late goals were scored when chasing a win from a drawing position or a draw from a losing position it was relentless. The game is different now. Lots of teams are capable of playing with a style that is very pleasing to the eye, Southampton for an example.

Unread 07-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Throw

Away at Leicester 7th February 1981. Lost 1-0. Coppell hit the bar with an overhead kick. Can't find a video which is weird cos it was on MOTD that night. I was 7.

Unread 07-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
Don't want to get in to the territory of blowing smoke because of where I am etc, but that mid 90's Utd team genuinely did change the way the league could be won. It was much, much more attacking and for someone used to watching a fairly bog standard second division side week in week out, when I saw that Utd team take Forest apart it was an eye opener. Just the sheer number of players who would get forward it seemed like there was a spare man everywhere.

I had the chance to see the Barca side that had Rivaldo in it and that was a different experience for me in terms seeing first hand how a team's use of the ball was unstoppable, getting from defence to a goal scoring opportunity with just incredibly accurate passing and not much running, but that Utd side tended to be like a swarm of attacking intent. No surprise so many late goals were scored when chasing a win from a drawing position or a draw from a losing position it was relentless. The game is different now. Lots of teams are capable of playing with a style that is very pleasing to the eye, Southampton for an example.
Notts County?

Yep. As much as it was a relief to see Forest give Liverpool some serious competition, even they were pretty much counter attacking in their play

Unread 07-10-2016, 02:49 PM
red in cumbria

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Most will be anything post 1999 on this site
Thank you for this HOT TAKE that has contributed so much to the discussion.

Unread 07-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
That was the game closest to my 10th birthday. My mum wrote to United asking could they say happy 10th birthday to me and to get choccy to give me a wave. He did I ate a dodgy burger and was sick when I got in and got the day after off school.
Oh and it finished 1-2 Hughesy scored a scissor kick.
Sorry, only just seen this. Definitely finished 2-0. http://stretfordend.co.uk/seasons/season1990.html

August 30th.

Went to the Millwall game a couple of weeks later, which we won 5-1. Sharpe scored then slid on his knees to the corner. I repeated it in the kitchen and got carpet burns on my knees

Unread 07-10-2016, 04:41 PM
woody78

1986 v Forest at the City ground . Stood right behind the goal 1st half and right at the back of the terrace on my dads shoulders for the 2nd half .

Finished 1-1

Unread 07-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Kent Brockman

1978 vs Ipswich.

Gary Bailey's debut.

I think it was a 1-1 draw?

Unread 08-10-2016, 01:15 AM
92ToBury

August 86, United 2 West Ham 3, at the back of J stand

Unread 08-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
First game - my 8th Birthday - Keith Fane read my name out pre game.

https://youtu.be/46T4aSoUTSY

2nd game was a belter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9cZrkH7vGg
You're about the same age as me. Remember those seasons, specific games, goalscorers etc more vividly than any other. 2000-2010 all a blur.

Unread 08-10-2016, 09:42 AM
The taste of...

5 April 1969

Saw my absolute hero George score against Forest. Morgan got the other 2

3-1 and couldn't get over that football wasn;'t in black and white with no commentary.

Bottom corner of the canteliver at the Stretty which I am chuffed seems to have survived?

Unread 08-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
5 April 1969

Saw my absolute hero George score against Forest. Morgan got the other 2

3-1 and couldn't get over that football wasn;'t in black and white with no commentary.

Bottom corner of the canteliver at the Stretty which I am chuffed seems to have survived?

Way before my time. Would love to be able to go back and see that era.

Unread 08-10-2016, 11:06 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
You're about the same age as me. Remember those seasons, specific games, goalscorers etc more vividly than any other. 2000-2010 all a blur.
It's funny, most seasons are a blur to me, but for some reason the 06-07 season I remember nearly every game like it was yesterday.

I think it was because I thought that we were so far behind Chelsea I spent the entire season waiting for us to wobble and consequently every game almost felt like a cup final.

Plus the lads were wearing my all time favourite United shirt, particularly in European games with the gold lettering, bewdiful...

Unread 08-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
It's funny, most seasons are a blur to me, but for some reason the 06-07 season I remember nearly every game like it was yesterday.

I think it was because I thought that we were so far behind Chelsea I spent the entire season waiting for us to wobble and consequently every game almost felt like a cup final.

Plus the lads were wearing my all time favourite United shirt, particularly in European games with the gold lettering, bewdiful...

Yep. That sticks in the head tbf. That and 2008.

Unread 08-10-2016, 04:15 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7

Yep

One of the best season I can remember in terms of attacking football we played and the fact I thought we were massive outsiders to win anything, the 'run in' was too.

Cracking season.

Unread 08-10-2016, 06:52 PM
red in cumbria

The preceding summer, "shredding his legacy at every turn" was written - and loads of reds agreed with it

Unread 08-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Marlon Van Baron

My first game was played on the 30th anniversary of the Munich air crash. The story behind it was that the only goal that day was scored at 3:06pm and the goalscorer was Liam O'Brien, the player that day to come through the United youth set-up

I was 14 at the time and living in London. I was attending as a guest of the Bryan Robson fan club The only way my parents would let me go was to get one of the older lads from my estate to come with me. We went to Euston and when we got there he £#%&!ed off back home so I went up on my own. My Mum and Dad went ape shit when they later saw this lad walking past our house and I was nowhere to be seen