United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football Auto-Threads

Unread 25-01-2021, 09:20 AM
fred tissue

Default FA Cup fourth round: 10 talking points from the weekend's action

Luke Shaw is proving José Mourinho wrong, while West Ham could have European football on their minds next season

“He was in front of me and I was making every decision for him. He has to change his football brain,” José Mourinho said of Luke Shaw after a game in 2017. “We need his fantastic physical and technical qualities, but he cannot continue to play with my brain.” Few could have imagined four years later that the former Southampton defender could be first choice left-back at Old Trafford and eyeing up a return to the England squad. There is no arguing that Shaw looks far fitter now than four years ago but he has heeded Mourinho’s advice to “change his football brain”. Against Liverpool, Shaw was superb in defence and attack; going forward he made key overlapping runs, aiding Marcus Rashford to ensure United dominated that flank in a battle that was crucial to the victory. The arrival of Alex Telles seems to have spurred Shaw on to build on last season’s form. Gareth Southgate will have taken notice. Will Unwin

Related: Defensive struggles suggest Liverpool have stood still while others push on | Barney Ronay

Continue reading...

More...