dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
overhit ball over the top..

Unread 12-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Great finisher, strong, decent on the ball, good work rate.

Crossing needs improvement, and I think there was some truth to people claiming his physique slowed him down a bit.

Honestly never doubted his technical ability, have a look at his first few games for us, he looked brilliant.

Then it all went to shit.

On a hattie now. Ridiculous 2nd goal, from the half way line
He looked good against an absolute dog shit side like Bruges. I will give you that.

Other that that, we saw a winger who rarely beat a man, his touch often let him down, his shooting was often absysmal and his crossing was poor. On top of that, he was just plain slow at running. Pretty much the opposite of everything a top class wide man should be

Hope he keeps banging them in against teams like Toulouse tho, obvs.

Unread 12-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Vetch

Quote:
ffs!

Unread 12-03-2017, 06:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
ffs

Unread 12-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Swagger

Owen and Valencia were better number 7s

Unread 12-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He looked good against an absolute dog shit side like Bruges. I will give you that.

Other that that, we saw a winger who rarely beat a man, his touch often let him down, his shooting was often absysmal and his crossing was poor. On top of that, he was just plain slow at running. Pretty much the opposite of everything a top class wide man should be

Hope he keeps banging them in against teams like Toulouse tho, obvs.
Don't agree with all of that, but I do agree he's never going to be a top class wide man in the truest sense. He's always been better in more central areas of the pitch, or coming in from the flanks.

Not really sure why LVG bought him then insisted on using him almost exclusively out wide tbh

Unread 12-03-2017, 06:55 PM
saffers

Quote:
Notched again.

4 goals in 6 league starts now.

Clinical.
Top lad, top player.

Glad he's not let lvg kill his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Felt liked he turned a corner when he had that great game against Midjland in the Europa then was good against Arsenal the following weekend. Reverted back to being poor after that though, especially away from home.

Saffers would be bumping this thread constantly if the Big Man had sold him
#headsgone pal

Firmly blame lvg for this pal.....

No different to the di maria fiasco

Unread 12-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Don't agree with all of that, but I do agree he's never going to be a top class wide man in the truest sense. He's always been better in more central areas of the pitch, or coming in from the flanks.

Not really sure why LVG bought him then insisted on using him almost exclusively out wide tbh
I will be surprised if he ever does anything of note in one of the better leagues. Just think he is severely lacking in certain attibutes that the top end players have. But good luck to him.

Unread 12-03-2017, 06:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Started off trying him in no10 position, but I think wide left is his role. Bigger question could be signing him and then a few months later signing someone younger and better for that role. Memphis never looked as good on the right.

According to L'Equipe he played off the left in a 4-3-3 today. That's his role imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Firmly blame lvg for this pal.....
Expect no less, chief

Unread 12-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Sparky***

Depay made 45 appearances for United last season.

Why are people talking like he never got a chance to prove himself?

Unread 12-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Started off trying him in no10 position, but I think wide left is his role. Bigger question could be signing him and then a few months later signing someone younger and better for that role. Memphis never looked as good on the right.

According to L'Equipe he played off the left in a 4-3-3 today. That's his role imo.
He is a goalscorer, the problem is that the rest of his game has not developed. Great at cutting in and shooting, strikes the ball beautifully, but limit opportunities to do that and he struggled to find ways to be effective.

Build the team around him and he will put up great numbers but unless he develops the rest of his game it is difficult to see him having success at one of the major teams.

Unread 12-03-2017, 07:00 PM
dunk

Half Memphis' problem was that we brought in Martial and both wanted to play in the same place.

Unread 12-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

People say that about Nani, and he was here for about 7 years

Unread 12-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Expect no less, chief
He's played off the left today but with lots of licence to come in and interchange. From what I can remember we had him sticking quite rigidly out left in a lot of his appearances, and I don't think it suited him.

Fair point about the Martial signing too

Unread 12-03-2017, 07:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
He is a goalscorer, the problem is that the rest of his game has not developed. Great at cutting in and shooting, strikes the ball beautifully, but limit opportunities to do that and he struggled to find ways to be effective.

Build the team around him and he will put up great numbers but unless he develops the rest of his game it is difficult to see him having success at one of the major teams.
Yeah agree with that. PSV was built around him.

Was never going to be a Mourinho favourite.

Unread 12-03-2017, 07:04 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

Christ, would never have guessed that

Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

Lyon aren't built around him.

He's slotted in seamlessly over there, they're a very good attacking side tbf, fun to watch

saffers

Quote:

How many of those were starts?

Unread 12-03-2017, 07:05 PM
dunk

Surprised he got so few opportunities under Mourinho given the fact he didn't have a bad word to say about him or his attitude and the paucity of his attacking options.

Unread 12-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Half Memphis' problem was that we brought in Martial and both wanted to play in the same place.
whose got dunk's log in
Closed Thread