United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-05-2020, 10:32 AM
utd99

Revisionism.

Season 3 would have been fantastic based on what, winning the FA Cup? Anyone can win the cup if they get the right draw, the rub of the green and are on at the right moments. Arsenal and Wigan did just that the previous three seasons - unless we’re suggesting that they were also on the verge of greatness.

Only on here can it be touted that a man who bought a whole new team for a huge amount of money and finished lower in the league while playing shit on a stick football was heading in the right direction. By his own insistence he had one year left so we would have had to look for a new manager in a few months anyway, so why would it have been a smart move to give him even more money to buy the next versions of Sneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria or Depay?

Mourinho’s tenure did a lot to make people forget just how awful the football was under van Gaal aside from a short spell in his first season. He was supported, he failed - but I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting to hear his account of what he did wrong in any interview any time soon.

Unread 17-05-2020, 10:32 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Jesus, let it go you cranks.

It was AWFUL.

Unread 17-05-2020, 10:35 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Revisionism.

Season 3 would have been fantastic based on what, winning the FA Cup? Anyone can win the cup if they get the right draw, the rub of the green and are on at the right moments. Arsenal and Wigan did just that the previous three seasons - unless we’re suggesting that they were also on the verge of greatness.

Only on here can it be touted that a man who bought a whole new team for a huge amount of money and finished lower in the league while playing shit on a stick football was heading the right direction. By his own insistence he had one year left so we would have had to look for a new manager in a few months anyway, so why would it have been a smart move to give him even more money to buy the next versions of Sneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria or Depay?

Mourinho’s tenure did a lot to make people forget just how awful the football was under van Gaal aside from a short spell in his first season. He was supported, he failed - but I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting to hear his account of what he did wrong in any interview any time soon.
So far as I understand things, LVG was “laying the foundations”. I think he made that clear early on too. Regardless, replacing him with Mourinho was lunacy. From one end of the football spectrum to another, and people wondered why we lacked cohesion for years.

Unread 17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
utd99

“Laying the foundations” has been his get out of jail free card for a while. It doesn’t help that there’s actually some matches to be played in between his foundation laying and someone else actually achieving something with a couple of players left over from his tenure. He’ll probably be banging on about Rashford in ten years time.

Maybe all the money he wasted in the market was laying the foundations for tax write offs too.

Unread 17-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Seamus

I could see the master piece that big Louis was trying to create. Sometimes it takes a while for the picture to reveal itself

Unread 17-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
I could see the master piece that big Louis was trying to create. Sometimes it takes a while for the picture to reveal itself
None so blind as those that will not see. Ole just adding the finishing touches now.

Unread 17-05-2020, 10:54 AM
suedeshoes

Just contrary bantz from the usual suspects. He was out of date and out of time. The football was terrible and his act was stale.

Unread 17-05-2020, 10:55 AM
utd99

Can we get a head count of who’s actively involved in this wum please? It’s gotten too big to keep track of.

Unread 17-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Jesus, let it go you cranks.

It was AWFUL.

Unread 17-05-2020, 11:08 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
None so blind as those that will not see. Ole just adding the finishing touches now.
To Mourinho's team ?

Interesting.

Unread 17-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Ethers

Very sad that people get so offended at any praise for someone who did so many great things for the club.

Unread 17-05-2020, 11:39 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Very sad that people get so offended at any praise for someone who did so many great things for the club.
this. probably the same lads who were bigging up "mou mou"

woodward's treatment of lvg was a disgrace.

Unread 17-05-2020, 11:40 AM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yeah sad to see

Unread 17-05-2020, 11:44 AM
MUFCOK

Louis was building the team and club from the Sir Alex era into the next era, that takes time and people want everything yesterday. It was a really bad December that impacted Louis in the second season, a couple of better results in there we would have finished 2nd or 3rd and people forget we actually finished on the same number of points as City in 4th.

Lets not kid ourselves either, the football under Mourinho for 80% of the time was worse than under Louis. Who can forget the flat back 6 against Middlesbrough away, laughable.

Mr_Ed

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should’ve kept him for a other year... Did any good come of Jose’s tenure ?

Cream

All time great manager but his time had passed.

The football was utterly tedious and he made some awful signings. Needed a DOF.

Love the guy though. Madman.

Unread 17-05-2020, 11:47 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCOK
Louis was building the team and club from the Sir Alex era into the next era, that takes time and people want everything yesterday. It was a really bad December that impacted Louis in the second season, a couple of better results in there we would have finished 2nd or 3rd and people forget we actually finished on the same number of points as City in 4th.

Lets not kid ourselves either, the football under Mourinho for 80% of the time was worse than under Louis. Who can forget the flat back 6 against Middlesbrough away, laughable.
They were both shite. The amount of money they both pissed up the wall was shocking. The performance of every manager since Fergie has been piss poor.

Unread 17-05-2020, 11:50 AM
MUFCOK

Quote:
They were both shite. The amount of money they both pissed up the wall was shocking. The performance of every manager since Fergie has been piss poor.
I agree the signings from both could have been a lot better but I'd argue that Louis got a lot more out of the signings he made then Mourinho. I can only think of Zlatan who Mourinho signed who he actually got a tune out of, everyone else either started performing once Mourinho left or they've been moved on.

Unread 17-05-2020, 11:56 AM
NedKelly

Juanfield was my post-Fergie peak up until PSG. Still is in terms of the football we displayed that day.

Unread 17-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCOK
I agree the signings from both could have been a lot better but I'd argue that Louis got a lot more out of the signings he made then Mourinho. I can only think of Zlatan who Mourinho signed who he actually got a tune out of, everyone else either started performing once Mourinho left or they've been moved on.
Got a lot more out of them ? As a reminder, as I think we may have entered a parallel universe.

Falcao
Blind
Rojo
Di Maria
Herrera
Shaw
Valdes
Schweinsteiger
Romero
Depay
Schneiderlin
Darmian
Martial

Not that Mourinho was much better. But i'm not sure why Mourinho is being used in defence of LVG's tenure anyway. They were both shocking.
Closed Thread