Unread 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Chorlton74

Default Re: Playing football

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyOnMyBack
Rallying cries of sunday league style football broken down:

http://angleofpostandbar.blogspot.co...s-talking.html

1. "We've Gone Quiet"
Going quiet, as highlighted earlier, is the sign of a malfunctioning team. No-one is talking, which means we all might as well go home. A period of notable quietness is ended only when the captain draws everyone's attention to it: "Come on lads, we've gone quiet!". It can, at the shouter's discretion, be bookended with "...haven't we?", to offer the illusion of a debate where one is really not available.

Apart from functioning to actually end the quietness, this is accepted as an open invitation to call upon phrases 2-8 in this list.

2. "Straight In"
A staple instruction that can be used only at a very specific moment - namely, the opponents kicking off the game. "Run after the ball!", it demands, "Chase it when they kick it backwards!". Only the strikers need to, of course, and the moment quickly passes. Getting "straight in" is not a continuous requirement, but merely an opening gesture of intent, which is guaranteed to be unfulfilled.

Often accompanied by a mindless, yet somehow entirely appropriate-feeling, clap of the hands.

3. "Two On The Edge"
When a corner is awarded, it is everyone's job to pick up their man. One player has the added task of spotting a particular discrepancy in this complex marking system, in that there are two unattended opponents lumbering into the penalty area. In extreme circumstances, there may be "three on the edge" - an unthinkable catastrophe which is met with a suitably incredulous cry of "I've got three here!". The lack of concentration may be down to the defence's preoccupation with the big man, the tall (i.e. lanky) opposing centre-back/estate agent, who has arrived with a look of great purpose from the back.

4. "All Day"
An utterly irritating phrase (specifically designed to be so) used by smug opponents to declare your attacking efforts as weak and unlikely to succeed even if repeated. Often said twice in quick succession - as a speculative effort flies high, wide and [not at all] handsome - to compound the humiliation.

5. "It's Still 0-0"
Football is an overwhelmingly childish pursuit. Much of football supporting is based on schadenfreude and suffering the taunts, in return, when your own team is humbled.

To combat this threat, some employ an overly defensive stance, hoping that an audible absence of pride will pre-empt any possible fall. And so, if a Sunday team races into an early lead, one stern-faced, armband-toting try-hard will attempt to construct a parallel universe in which the game is, in fact, goalless. The job is not done, he says, a point he may return to when the final score is 7-4 or something similarly amateur.

6. "Box 'Em In!"
A cult classic, in my eyes. Satisfies two fundamental criteria: 1) A laughable attempt at tactical insight, and 2) Exclaimed almost instinctively, EVERY SINGLE TIME. The ball goes out for an opposition throw-in, deep in their final third, and it is universally accepted that they do not have the adequate technical skills (or simply the upper-body strength) to play/hurl their way to safety.

7. "[Shirt Colour] Head on This!"
Possibly the most pointless one of all. For the uninitiated, this cryptic command is for your teammates to meet an imminent opposition hoof with their head before the other lot can. No accuracy is required but congratulations are available for heading it really, really hard, straight back where it came from. "WELL UP!" you are told, with your name declared in full if the game is particularly tense. More forward-thinking Sunday league players concern themselves with the second ball, which is often simply another header. Third balls remain an untapped, bewildering resource, possibly due to Chaos Theory.

8. "Away!"
Loosely translated as "Now look here, teammate - I neither want nor trust you to play your way out of trouble. Please dispose of the ball as quickly and as far away as possible." Failure to do as directed leaves one open to castigation for "fannying about with it there". Professional footballers, it should be noted, do not officially fanny about but simply dally, hesitate or dwell on the ball.

Meanwhile, back on recreation grounds up and down the country, players might be allowed to fanny about if they are deemed to have an adequate amount of:

9. "Time!"
The ball drops from the air and a player finds himself in acres of space. Pointing this out to him might seem a good idea. It'll calm him down, allow him to get his head up and play a pass, rather than treat the ball like an unpinned grenade.

However, when ten other players scream "Time! Time!" in unison, it tends to have quite the opposite effect. The futility of the situation is laid bare when, after relinquishing possession easily, the player is offered a final, withering, retrospective observation.

"You had time."

10. "Where Was The Shout?"
The ultimate act of Sunday League buck-passing. A player is unceremoniously dispossessed from behind, to howls of derision from his teammates. Accompanied by a despairing flap of the arms, the player begs of his colleagues: "Where was the shout?"

There wasn't one.

Because they've gone quiet, haven't they?

http://angleofpostandbar.blogspot.co...s-talking.html
come on lets step it up.

Unread 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
playing tomorrow
my arse you play?

Unread 11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
my arse you play?
yeah bud. quality player, no wum.

Unread 11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
was position you play pal?
I played in every position but LB and GK in that tournament, over the course of 5 games.

Best up top, front of MF 3 with license to roam or something like that. I need the ball

Playmaker in 5 a side

Unread 11-11-2011, 01:08 PM
TravellingRed

Played 5 a side last night for the first time in donkeys. Was £#%&!ed after about 10 minutes, still put 2 in the onion bag though

Unread 11-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
I'm out to play 5-a-side tonight. Havn't played for 5 years. Obviously I used to be a very fine player. I represented Manchester schoolboys, played sunday league for years and had a season semi-pro. This was however 15-20 years ago. I'm sure the magic remains...you cant be as good as I was and lose it...Dario Gradi said I was like a cross between Sheringham and a young Vialli...but I doubt my fitness levels are where they once were as my lifestyle is not that of a sportsman.
Have any Fredtsers taken up the game after such a long lay-off? Will I die?
I had 8 yrs off after doing me ankle in broughton

I had thia boxed and jogged every week - but honestly theres nothing like 60 mins of non stop running to make u feel your age

Unread 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM
elephantstone

im playing tonight. Im having a golden autumn if I am being honest.

Unread 11-11-2011, 01:58 PM
armchair

I never got over my ankle injury. Incredible parallels with van basten's career and mine but at a slightly lower level and a different position.

Unread 11-11-2011, 02:20 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I played in every position but LB and GK in that tournament, over the course of 5 games.

Best up top, front of MF 3 with license to roam or something like that. I need the ball

Playmaker in 5 a side
How would you be in a midfield 2?

Unread 11-11-2011, 02:48 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
How would you be in a midfield 2?
I'd survive to an extent. I'm not the most mobile though. Probably fare better than Anderson and Gibson tbh.

Unread 11-11-2011, 05:23 PM
taff

"put a name on it" is another. usually advocated by some @#%&! who endlessly refers to themselves in the third person. "STEVE'S BALL!!!"

Unread 11-11-2011, 05:40 PM
hopkins

no mention of darren fletcher-esque pointing, that's an important part of the game

Unread 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins
no mention of darren fletcher-esque pointing, that's an important part of the game
Works best through the tv that one
Closed Thread