United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 26-11-2023, 10:46 AM
suedeshoes

Default On this day.

31 years ago. One of the most significant moments in the history of the club. Eric Cantona signs.

I remember the day well. It was a shock. I thought he was a good player and it was funny that it annoyed Leeds fans but I wasn't absolutely thrilled that we'd signed him...I wanted David Hirst.

I had no idea how good a player he was and what a personality he was. It didn't take long to find out.

He was absolutely made for Manchester United. What a man ❤️

Unread 26-11-2023, 10:48 AM
armchair

I remember thinking he was flash and over-indulgent before he signed.

Unread 26-11-2023, 10:56 AM
BarryX

The greatest signing in the history of English football? Couldn't believe how cheaply we got him for.

Unread 26-11-2023, 10:57 AM
Finport Red

Had never heard of him until he played for Leeds, but knew he had done well for them. We were a bit meh after what happened in the 91/2 league campaign, and it was brilliant to see his impact, even in the first game.

Great teams are built on character. He was certainly that, and the belief he gave the young ones coming through was central to what that team grew to become.

Unread 26-11-2023, 11:01 AM
est.1878

Only player ever truly idolised and still do...

What was the exact story with Wilkinson? Style of play or fall out?

Was young but knew with certainty this would work, that hat trick vs Liverpool in charity shield, that overhead kick at ot the season before.. Just knew.

Looked like he'd been here years as captain seeing the pics in shoot (still got somewhere) in that debut vs benfica... It was on AF..

Unread 26-11-2023, 11:05 AM
chooch

Was living in Liverpool at the time, as I was when we lost the league to Leeds the year before. Was buzzing about it as it came from nowhere. The final piece of the jigsaw for that team

Unread 26-11-2023, 11:30 AM
Chorlton74

God bless you Lesley.

Unread 26-11-2023, 11:38 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Only player ever truly idolised and still do...

What was the exact story with Wilkinson? Style of play or fall out?

Was young but knew with certainty this would work, that hat trick vs Liverpool in charity shield, that overhead kick at ot the season before.. Just knew.

Looked like he'd been here years as captain seeing the pics in shoot (still got somewhere) in that debut vs benfica... It was on AF..

I thought his debut was coming on in the second half of the derby when we won 2-1?

Game when it pissed it down, I was in the half built Stretford end wearing a stylish Pac a Mac

Unread 26-11-2023, 11:40 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I remember thinking he was flash and over-indulgent before he signed.
he was.

Unread 26-11-2023, 12:00 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
I thought his debut was coming on in the second half of the derby when we won 2-1?
Played a friendly away to Benfica before that. Where those photos in that beautiful blue shirt are from.

Unread 26-11-2023, 12:57 PM
magic_cantona

Saw it on Teletext, then it was on Granada tonight/reports. Absolutely stunned. Best signing in Mt lifetime NQAT. My idol.

Unread 26-11-2023, 01:05 PM
Mr_Ed

and all because Leeds wanted to buy Irwin

Unread 26-11-2023, 01:34 PM
larry

best utd player of my lifetime
but oddly never gets in utd / premier league all time xis

Unread 26-11-2023, 08:26 PM
red in cumbria

He definitely had some sort of falling out with Wilkinson, which is why the transfer went smoothly - both wanted him out of there.

Can't say I was massively thrilled tbh, though I was definitely intrigued - and most Leeds fans not being happy gave me hope it was a good move. Almost too predictably, the media consensus was that he would flop - or at the very least, not be the ideal answer to United's "crisis"