United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
suedeshoes

Default Playing football

I'm out to play 5-a-side tonight. Havn't played for 5 years. Obviously I used to be a very fine player. I represented Manchester schoolboys, played sunday league for years and had a season semi-pro. This was however 15-20 years ago. I'm sure the magic remains...you cant be as good as I was and lose it...Dario Gradi said I was like a cross between Sheringham and a young Vialli...but I doubt my fitness levels are where they once were as my lifestyle is not that of a sportsman.
Have any Fredtsers taken up the game after such a long lay-off? Will I die?

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:28 PM
no fun

Default Re: Playing football

I still play twice a week

if I can still do it, you`ll be like a young ralph milne

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
I'm out to play 5-a-side tonight. Havn't played for 5 years. Obviously I used to be a very fine player. I represented Manchester schoolboys, played sunday league for years and had a season semi-pro. This was however 15-20 years ago. I'm sure the magic remains...you cant be as good as I was and lose it...Dario Gradi said I was like a cross between Sheringham and a young Vialli...but I doubt my fitness levels are where they once were as my lifestyle is not that of a sportsman.
aren't you older than both of them?

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:33 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentino ariza
Cheeky @#%&!. (Although tbf to Dario I think he may have meant I was slow and bald)

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
put together was my understanding.

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:34 PM
waynes ear's

i'd love to play every week

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:35 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Ooooooh look at me, Dario Grady once chatted me up! :bi:

You'll be right, just shout at your team to mark up a lot and they will be less likely to nitice you being too knackered to do owt. Always used to work for me.

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
suedeshoes

The only astro-turf boots I can find in me wardrobe are Nike ones.

Have got Jerome Wright's shirt and Dave Chadwick's old training top to wear though.

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:51 PM
no fun

Quote:
The only astro-turf boots I can find in me wardrobe are Nike ones.

Have got Jerome Wright's shirt and Dave Chadwick's old training top to wear though.
its not a fashion show you tart

"ooh Im not passing to you, umbro shorts are so 1990"

Unread 08-07-2010, 01:55 PM
HarkNowHear

I gave up playing regularly at 35. 5 years later and not a ball kicked in anger (plus about another 3 stones in weight) I turned out as keeper for a team in the Wednesday league. A bit of diving around and the odd goal kick should not kill a human being.

Unread 08-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Baron

hadn't played for a solid 2 years, played 3 times in the last week & I ache like an absolute £#%&!ing bastard. Did score a step over nutmeg on the 'keeper yesterday though. Which was nice. Just a shame I can't run, thinking it's going to take about 6 weeks to get used to running around like £#%&! again.

Unread 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
I gave up playing regularly at 35. 5 years later and not a ball kicked in anger (plus about another 3 stones in weight) I turned out as keeper for a team in the Wednesday league. A bit of diving around and the odd goal kick should not kill a human being.
I'm the resident goalkeeper for my team now, see myself as more of a sweeper though, at least 2 assists per game.

Unread 08-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
i'd love to play every week
Start hanging about Albert Park astroturft for a kick about.

Unread 08-07-2010, 03:33 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
took it up again after doing £#%&! all for about 18 month...first time out, i thought i was gonna die.....seriously

and was stiff for about a week afterwards...but now, 5 or 6 games in, the magic is coming back and the recovery time is getting shorter and shorter

take it easy first time out though

Unread 08-07-2010, 03:57 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

USed to play park football every summer and the first game back was always the killer - the aches and pains for the following 3 or 4 days - you knew you were alive.

Now we've a decent 7 aside league once or twice a week. THough we're one of the oldest teams there - 33-38 or so - our craft still gets us through against the speedier 20 somethings. And the aches are only from knocks now.

Hoping to carry on for a few more years yet but the oldest of us is 38 and he talks about retirement every year.

Unread 08-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Grimson

I took it up again after 12 years. You'll be rusty, obviously, but it'll come back to whatever degree your fitness allows it.

Unread 08-07-2010, 04:01 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I took it up again after 12 years. You'll be rusty, obviously, but it'll come back to whatever degree your fitness allows it.
this is not the news he was looking for

having a burn at half time is apparently frowned upon these days, suedes

Unread 08-07-2010, 04:27 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
this is not the news he was looking for

having a burn at half time is apparently frowned upon these days, suedes

Half-time! I'm putting me cigs pitch-side for the break I anticpate taking 10 mins in.

I've had the push-bike out for the last month or so so my fitness is the best it's been for years tbf. Cycled two miles already this week.

n.b: Found some Lotto astro-turf boots in the garage so the Nike debacle will be avoided.

Unread 08-07-2010, 04:30 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:
Half-time! I'm putting me cigs pitch-side for the break I anticpate taking 10 mins in.

I've had the push-bike out for the last month or so so my fitness is the best it's been for years tbf. Cycled two miles already this week.

n.b: Found some Lotto astro-turf boots in the garage so the Nike debacle will be avoided.
hahaha, thats about 4 minutes worth of exercise

i've given up smoking cigarettes. big difference already, just in going up the stairs

just about to order a beautiful new road bike for the summer

in white here http://www.comtat.co.uk/image-gallery.asp

Unread 08-07-2010, 04:32 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
hahaha, thats about 4 minutes worth of exercise
Took me about 20 mins tbh (Had to stop a couple of times for a cig).
Closed Thread