United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-08-2019, 08:50 AM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
This again.

Back four looks good on paper. Forward line has the potential to fast and fearless (sorry).

That thing behind it connecting it all together is the worst we've had in years.

Huge pressure on The Scottish Player and for Fred to improve.
One of the most bizarre signings for me, I have no idea what he is or what he is supposed to be.

Cant shoot, cant tackle, cant pass, not strong enough, too small, no right foot. A complete and utter nothing player. A bit like Pereira tbh, but at least he can shoot a bit.

Unread 08-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
One of the most bizarre signings for me, I have no idea what he is or what he is supposed to be.

Cant shoot, cant tackle, cant pass, not strong enough, too small, no right foot. A complete and utter nothing player. A bit like Pereira tbh, but at least he can shoot a bit.
I think he's just overwhelmed.

There's a decent player in there, but he's a panicking mess.

Pereira is just average

And we need them both.

Unread 08-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Genuine faith in Rashford and Martial is three years overdue. If it’s a deliberate decision made by Ole then I respect what he’s doing. Can always look for a striker in January if needed. Plus we still have Sanchez on the books so we should try and get something from him.

Sign a midfielder though seriously.
This.

I think we could make a late bid for Manzukic before the window closes as cover. Its not all doom and gloom.

We definitely are light in midfield, expect Mata to play 40 games this season.

Unread 08-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
I think he's just overwhelmed.

There's a decent player in there, but he's a panicking mess.

Pereira is just average

And we need them both.
I don't think there is anymore, I think he's just a bit thick and lackadaisical rather than panicky. He's too much of a liability to have a role protecting the back line, and he's nowhere near creative enough to play a more advanced attacking role. He's pretty much useless.

Didn't he get married twice as well to the same person? Proves the point that he's thick if he did.

I still have some faith that Perreira will come good. I think he's better than Fred anyway. He can delivery a ball, take a shot and pick out a forward pass at times. It's sink or swim for him this season. Although you could say that about our whole squad at this point.

Unread 08-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I don't think there is anymore, I think he's just a bit thick and lackadaisical rather than panicky. He's too much of a liability to have a role protecting the back line, and he's nowhere near creative enough to play a more advanced attacking role. He's pretty much useless.

Didn't he get married twice as well to the same person? Proves the point that he's thick if he did.

I still have some faith that Perreira will come good. I think he's better than Fred anyway. He can delivery a ball, take a shot and pick out a forward pass at times. It's sink or swim for him this season. Although you could say that about our whole squad at this point.

Pereira and Fred are 2 very different issues - if ole sticks with this 4-2-3-1, Pereira is definitely a player suited to that '10' role, a la Mata.

Which leaves our players for the '2' as Pogba, big Mac, Fred and Matic ( ) I only have any faith in the first 2 of that 4. Fernandes, Eriksen, Longstaff - christ, just someone to provide a bit of support and options to that 2.

I'm really not hopeful.

Unread 08-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Clownbones

We're relying very much on players with question marks next to their name.

Martial, Rashford, The Scottish Player need to go from good to great.

AWB, Maguire and James need to hit the ground running.

The youngsters need to settle in.

Sanchez, Pereira and Fred need to go from pointless to.... point....ful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

Dont get wrong, I'm not saying he's been decent or will be for us.

He might be too far gone.

Unread 08-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Genuine faith in Rashford and Martial is three years overdue. If it’s a deliberate decision made by Ole then I respect what he’s doing. Can always look for a striker in January if needed. Plus we still have Sanchez on the books so we should try and get something from him.

Sign a midfielder though seriously.
For a club our size, they have played a lot of games considering what has been delivered. Not sure what more faith could have been shown in them.

Martial needs to deliver this season. He is about to enter his mid 20s and there comes a time when potential needs to be turned into consistent performances. Don't think it is too much to ask in his 5th season.

It is staggering that a club the size of Utd are going into a season after they finished 6th with a weaker midfield and attack.

Unread 08-08-2019, 09:44 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
For a club our size, they have played a lot of games considering what has been delivered. Not sure what more faith could have been shown in them.

Martial needs to deliver this season. He is about to enter his mid 20s and there comes a time when potential needs to be turned into consistent performances. Don't think it is too much to ask in his 5th season.

It is staggering that a club the size of Utd are going into a season after they finished 6th with a weaker midfield and attack.
Staggering but not surprising.

Quote:
We're relying very much on players with question marks next to their name.

Martial, Rashford, The Scottish Player need to go from good to great.

AWB, Maguire and James need to hit the ground running.

The youngsters need to settle in.

Sanchez, Pereira and Fred need to go from pointless to.... point....ful.

Dont get wrong, I'm not saying he's been decent or will be for us.

He might be too far gone.
About all he can do by the looks of things.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Lodestar

Quote:

Martial needs to get out of his own way. The talent is there but the mentality is lacking. He comes across as a scowling #@&%! who doesn't understand reputations are earned. He goes missing in so many games it's untrue when he should be running riot.

Agree that we are going into this season weaker than the last. A lot will ride on the players that have come through.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Fred's never had a run of games. Neither has Sanchez to be fair.

Yeah, probably for the same reason i've not had a run of games for United either.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:22 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
Martial needs to get out of his own way. The talent is there but the mentality is lacking. He comes across as a scowling #@&%! who doesn't understand reputations are earned. He goes missing in so many games it's untrue when he should be running riot.

Agree that we are going into this season weaker than the last. A lot will ride on the players that have come through.
It’s make or break season for Martial imo. Goal return has been very underwhelming in past four seasons. Flashes of quality but more often does £#%&! all.

A lot of people putting faith in him being a 20 goal a season player. I hope so, but not remotely hopeful.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
It’s make or break season for Martial imo. Goal return has been very underwhelming in past four seasons. Flashes of quality but more often does £#%&! all.

A lot of people putting faith in him being a 20 goal a season player. I hope so, but not remotely hopeful.
Even if he doesn't score 20 goals i'm sure the fact he's a grafter and selfless team player will see him have a good season.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

After preseason I'm not holding up much hope for Martial either, his link up play is non-existent. If he gets the ball and he's not through on goal then everything falls apart.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop down below Greenwood in the pecking order after the first month of the season.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:33 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

It was a poorly kept secret that Mourinho didn’t like Martial pretty much from day one. Never got the impression he had true faith in him and the eagerness to sideline him after Sanchez was evidence of that.

Rashford spent two years being made into a wide runner. In both cases he was a poor choice of coach for them.

They’ll get faith now. It’s up to them to show what they can do, even if it’s a limited team.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Coracao

Quote:
It was a poorly kept secret that Mourinho didn’t like Martial pretty much from day one. Never got the impression he had true faith in him and the eagerness to sideline him after Sanchez was evidence of that.

Rashford spent two years being made into a wide runner. In both cases he was a poor choice of coach for them.

They’ll get faith now. It’s up to them to show what they can do, even if it’s a limited team.
Well, I recall you saying that we should be expecting a 2 in 3 record for top strikers in the league when Lukaku was dicussed. I assume the same expectations will be in place for whichever one of Rashford and Martial start as striker.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Well, I recall you saying that we should be expecting a 2 in 3 record for top strikers in the league when Lukaku was dicussed. I assume the same expectations will be in place for whichever one of Rashford and Martial start as striker.

Haven't you learned by now, pal? With Rashford it's always someone elses fault.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:48 PM
AK14

Weren’t there plenty of rumours last season that Ole had lost faith with Martial and had a falling out etc?

It’s make or break for him this season, hopefully he lives up to his potential

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
For Lukaku to have been a success at United, given his role and attributes, he needed to be pushing 25 league goals. That’s what I said and it proved correct. He fell short of that and as such was seen as unreliable. I’m not expecting Rashford to hit 25 league goals at his age (plus he didn’t cost us £75m and is a more dynamic player) but he should be looking at an improvement. He and Martial should both be looking to get 15 league goals.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:55 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Weren’t there plenty of rumours last season that Ole had lost faith with Martial and had a falling out etc?

It’s make or break for him this season, hopefully he lives up to his potential
Potential was four years ago. This is now about what kind of player he is. Nothing to suggest he is a great player. Pretty much on a par with Lingard right now, which is not an ideal level to be at.

Unread 08-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Coracao

Quote:
For Lukaku to have been a success at United, given his role and attributes, he needed to be pushing 25 league goals. That’s what I said and it proved correct. He fell short of that and as such was seen as unreliable. I’m not expecting Rashford to hit 25 league goals at his age (plus he didn’t cost us £75m and is a more dynamic player) but he should be looking at an improvement. He and Martial should both be looking to get 15 league goals.
One more than Callum Wilson got last season. I am glad we are setting the bar high.
Closed Thread